Stacked subs

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Stacked subs
« on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:07 pm »
This morning I decided to place my Monitor Audio ASW 110 sub on top of my SVS PB-10.  The feet on the MA are made of a hard plastic.

I re-calibrated everything and put on Jeff Beck 'Live at Ronnie Scotts' DVD.
I said to myself out loud...WOW!  Placing the MA on top really tightened up the whole bottom end.
Well I got a little carried away with the volume and crash.
Yep.  The MA fell forward straight on down :duh: but kept playing its arse off :)
Thankfully nothing was damaged as the sub fell on to a carpeted floor and I had plenty of slack on all cables.

So what do guys do or recommend I use to keep the sub in place?
Any info is appreciated...
Thanks

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Stacked subs
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:11 pm »
Do it again; we want video.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:22 pm »
You can try a heavy slab of stone, check with your local counter-top shop, they should have heaps of sink cut-outs.

I would also try beside the sub (rather than on top) and listen if you get the same improvement.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:23 pm »
Just a thought...get both up off the floor, I put mine (one) on a box (stone or something else heavy is better) like 10 inches up and said "wow" also...amazing how it tightens up the low end and really integrates the sound with the surrounding stereo setup...an excellent and cheap upgrade, try it!!

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:53 pm »
Just a thought...get both up off the floor, I put mine (one) on a box (stone or something else heavy is better) like 10 inches up and said "wow" also...amazing how it tightens up the low end and really integrates the sound with the surrounding stereo setup...an excellent and cheap upgrade, try it!!

^This.

max190

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm »
You can try a heavy slab of stone, check with your local counter-top shop, they should have heaps of sink cut-outs.

I would also try beside the sub (rather than on top) and listen if you get the same improvement.
JRace, thanks for the tip on the stone.
I've moved these subs all over the room but none of the positions gave me the bass I heard today. I may try to cut up an old mouse pad and place them under the subs feet.

eclein, I may try this. Thanks

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:01 pm »

max190

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:01 pm »
I am using a G.R.A.M.M.A. (well, two for the surface area) for my subwoofer.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp
http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_subdude/subdude.asp
mix4fix, not sure if the subdude would help me since my 5.1 sys is down in the basement.
I was thinking of using a rubber pad of some sort for the top sub to sit on. I will try this and let you know.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:04 pm »
mix4fix, not sure if the subdude would help me since my 5.1 sys is down in the basement.
I was thinking of using a rubber pad of some sort for the top sub to sit on. I will try this and let you know.

You could go cheap and do what I did: bought those cheap, stick-on rubber feet pads from Home Depot.  Then I placed a towel between the two subwoofers.  The second 15" DIY TC2000 doesn't budge sitting atop its counterpart, for what it's worth.

no1maestro

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:04 am »
Two points. First, if you really want them "stacked", I use soft rubber foam kitchen cabinet liners; the ones which are for padding china. They are non slip and I haven't had any stacked speakers slip in years.

Second, I decided to use two subs in my office; a JBL and a Sony both powered and facing out at 90 degrees. It works very well and since they are side by side there won't be that big crash. Just my thoughts!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2010, 04:44 am »
Velcro is the cheapest and easy way

srb

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2010, 06:12 am »
I use soft rubber foam kitchen cabinet liners; the ones which are for padding china. They are non slip and I haven't had any stacked speakers slip in years.

The chemical composition of these liners may vary from brand to brand, but the ones I had in use in several applications, over time had a chemical reaction with painted, varnished and plastic surfaces.

I now avoid them.

Steve

max190

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2010, 12:48 pm »
Gents, thanks for all the suggestions.
What I ended using was some double back foam tape that my wife had used for some project.
No cost and works perfect. :D

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:19 pm »
Maybe it's just me...

...but, if you are stacking two good subs on top of each other, I believe it's time to upgrade to a super subwoofer.

face

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2010, 04:56 pm »
It's just you.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2010, 06:29 am »

max190

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2010, 12:43 pm »
mix,
Right now I am very happy with the bass I can hear and feel.
Now its time to upgrade the video portion. The Mitsu crt which has served me well for many years is going to my daughter.

Going to replace it with this guy...http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-plasma-tv-60PK550.jsp

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2010, 06:54 pm »
It's just that stacking two subs is kinda ghetto in my mind; and, would constitute an upgrade in product.

People used to recommend the PB10 (including myself); but, I wouldn't consider it a "great" sub.

I use an orginal Adire Audio Rava (upgraded with the optional DLP12 driver); I don't consider it a great sub (but it's enough for my small space while not disturbing neighbors for the lower volumes I generally use it at).

I would never stack subs; I would freak if the Rava fell over (can't get replacement parts anymore), have the another sub scratch up the top of the Rava, or have the cables yank on the electronics (damage a connector, damage a cable, have the electronic fall on the floor, etc...).

On a side note, get an LCD; or, an LED TV...

(not a fan of LG; I personally like other brands like Sharp)