Dodd Mod

ebag4

Dodd Mod
« on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:06 pm »
Hi Guys, I have replaced the previous mod post with a corrected version.  This mod gives you a hi pass volume controlled output from what was previously the Rec Out output.  I am currently using a .047uF Platinum Sonicap however I believe that value may be too small as I feel it thins out the low end of the coax a bit too much (the jury is still out on this).  Please also note that converting this output to a volume controlled output also means that the mute function doesn't operate since this output was not designed to be an amplifier output.  With that said, it is not a difficult mod but would be much easier to complete prior to mounting the RCA board into an enclosure, this is due to the difficulty getting to the bottom channel wth the board mounted. 

What you will need is a pair of .047uF caps (or the correct size cap for the hi pass frequency you want) and a pair of 100K resistors (Gary says any 100K resistor will work, I used 1/2 watt 100K from Radioshack).  Here is a pic:

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2010, 06:46 pm by ebag4 »

TrungT

Re: Dodd Mod
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:17 pm »
Ed
 :thumb:
Nice mod.

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:23 pm »
Ed
 :thumb:
Nice mod.
Thanks Trung!

The system is really sounding great, unfortunately I have made so many changes in the past couple of months I can't point to any one thing, more like four things.

Best,
Ed

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2010, 04:15 am »
I just modded my Dodd DIY buffer to make the Rec Out output a volume controlled hi-pass output.  Simple mod, all it takes is a .047 cap/channel, I used a pair of Sonicap Platinums.  Too early to say anything definitively but it sounds every bit as good as the non hi-passed output and perhaps a bit cleaner, nothing night and day, more as the caps break in (600 hours for these babies).

Here's a pic of one channel:

The cap is also soldered to the resistor.  You have to cut the path to the RCA jack.

Best,
Ed

Edit: Hold up on this guys, I have an email into Gary, I believe to do this properly I will need an additional resistor and will have to change the way the cap is installed.  I will post back once I know the correct way to do this.
I like it!  I was going to do pretty much the same thing on mine to use with the Super V's but I was going to use a .22 per channel.  I'm surprised that a .047 does the trick.  I would think that would be a little small, but there I go thinkin' again   :scratch:

I didn't want to use the F-Mods.  Good job, Ed.   :thumb:

Dave

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2010, 04:56 am »
I like it!  I was going to do pretty much the same thing on mine to use with the Super V's but I was going to use a .22 per channel.  I'm surprised that a .047 does the trick.  I would think that would be a little small, but there I go thinkin' again   :scratch:

I didn't want to use the F-Mods.  Good job, Ed.   :thumb:

Dave
Thanks Dave.  You might want to hold up a bit on the mod, I believe the wiring is going to have to change.  As it sits right now the three output capacitors are in parallel effictively giving me 3.35uF on all 3 outputs.  I believe the mod will have to change, I believe it will look something like this:

By the way, the .047uF was given to me by Danny and Gary both, however I can't comment on how a properly set up hi-pass output affects the sound quite yet, I need to pick up some resistors.

Best,
Ed

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2010, 02:57 pm »
Thanks Dave.  You might want to hold up a bit on the mod, I believe the wiring is going to have to change.  As it sits right now the three output capacitors are in parallel effictively giving me 3.35uF on all 3 outputs.  I believe the mod will have to change, I believe it will look something like this:

By the way, the .047uF was given to me by Danny and Gary both, however I can't comment on how a properly set up hi-pass output affects the sound quite yet, I need to pick up some resistors.

Best,
Ed
Gotcha.  It will be a while anyway.  I'm in the last stages of the kitchen remodel from hell.  I think the small value cap is definitly the way to go.

Thanks again.

Dave

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2010, 06:24 pm »
First post replaced with corrected version of the mod.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2010, 07:40 pm »
I am currently using a .047uF Platinum Sonicap however I believe that value may be too small as I feel it thins out the low end of the coax a bit too much (the jury is still out on this). 
I may have been a bit premature with this assessment.  When listening to just the coaxs of my V1s (no subs) the coax sounded quite thin with the hi pass as opposed to running them full range from the amp (V1 cross over crosses the coax in around 200Hz).  However when running the entire speaker as it was designed the sound is full and clean.  I still have a lot of listening to do as well as letting the Sonicap platinum break in, I will report back after Ihave more hours on them.

Best,
Ed

BTW, the .047uF value was given to me specifically for use with my speakers, if you are using other speakers then you will probably want the hi pass to come into play at a lower frequency, please size your cap for the frequency you need.

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2010, 09:32 pm »
I may have been a bit premature with this assessment.  When listening to just the coaxs of my V1s (no subs) the coax sounded quite thin with the hi pass as opposed to running them full range from the amp (V1 cross over crosses the coax in around 200Hz). 

I am definitely digging the sound of the V-1s with the hi pass using the .047uF cap. :thumb:

Best,
Ed