Has anyone heard the new B&W diamond series 802Ds

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Has anyone heard the new B&W diamond series 802Ds
« on: 30 Jun 2010, 04:59 pm »
Wondering if anyone has heard the new diamond series B&Ws. Very few reviews out as of yet. If you heard them let me know what you thought?

thanks David

TONEPUB

Re: Has anyone heard the new B&W diamond series 802Ds
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2010, 05:29 pm »
Nope, but I have heard the new 805D's.  Bought the review pair...
Nice!

PMAT

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2010, 05:39 pm »
I heard them at a local High-End store before they closed. They were set up very far apart, about 15 feet, on the long wall of a well treated room and being driven by a pair of monstrous Macintosh Tube amps which were being fed by a Mac CD player with a volume control. No preamp. The set-up was an experiment they were doing that day, for fun, to see how big of a soundstage they could get. The results were amazing. The soundstage was enormous and the depth was huge. It was very weird to hear a horn player eight feet off the floor with pinpoint position just off center. The speakers were not part of the soundstage. It was like they were unconnected. The tone was great and I had goosebumps for 10 minutes. I can't give you a professional review but I was very impressed. By admission though, I tend to see things positively. I can say that they were absolutely seamless speakers and they did nothing wrong.

David C

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2010, 07:54 pm »
Tonepub
I have read that the 805s were great for the price point ca $5000 and that the 805 + a sub may be the way to go. Your thoughts?

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:53 pm »
I have heard them, and they remain in my top 5 speakers of all time.

David C

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2010, 05:24 pm »
Nuance
first of all I really enjoyed your quest for speakers link so thank you for that! When you say top 5 of all time do you mean the 805d or the 802d?

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2010, 06:01 pm »
Tonepub
I have read that the 805s were great for the price point ca $5000 and that the 805 + a sub may be the way to go. Your thoughts?

I agree.  If you have a small room the 805's have decent bass, you may not need one.  I tried the 805d with a couple of different subwoofers at different price points..   Gonna have to read the review next issue!  But they do work with a good sub very well.  At present I have them in use with a Gotham.  It's a little bit of overkill, but the sub in my main room, what can I say?

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2010, 04:02 am »
Nuance
first of all I really enjoyed your quest for speakers link so thank you for that! When you say top 5 of all time do you mean the 805d or the 802d?

Thank you sir. :)

I meant the 802D.  I don't care for the 805's.  YMMV and to each their own.