My first shot at DIY

Will2

Re: My first shot at DIY
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2010, 03:16 am »
Regarding the Burls, my experience is that they are a bit more brittle (for lack of a better term) than non burled veneers.  Before cutting the holes I would recommend taping the area you will be cutting to help suppress splitting and tearing of the veneer.  I have used painters tape and masking tape.  If using masking tape be careful when removing the excess, it sticks a little too well.

Thanks Ed - we'll be sure to do that.  We also found using veneer softener made a MASSIVE difference in making the burl manageable.  We tried the first enclosure without it and curling and splitting were a real issue.  The softener did the trick the second time around, making trimming the veneer much more accurate and eliminating any splitting.

RAW

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2010, 05:27 am »
Man, that veneer looks great!

You can cut the veneer around the recessed tweeter opening with an exacto knife if you are real careful.

They also make veneer trimming tool with a thin flat base and no bearing. I don't know where to get them though. Al Wooley sent me one several years ago.

There is one on this page near the bottom: http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/audio/veneer_trimming_recesses.html

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1277701905_3763+2

I used the Whiteside bits that routerbits.com sells. Best router bits for the money.If you purchase one of the bits above get yourself a Folding diamond sharpening hone as well. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=33007&cat=1,43072

Using the hone you can keep the edge sharp on most of your straight flute bits :eyebrows:

But stay AWAY from these upcut spiral bits with a bass tip.The brass never holds and after throwing out 2 cabinets I never used any router bit for trimming out driver holes exept the SC28. I ordered a few and trimmed the end to allow for some tweeters that have a thin faceplate. If you grind the end, REMEMBER to cool the tip every few seconds or you will take the hardening out of the carbide and the bit can become breakable

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2010, 01:53 pm »
Hey Al, I have been wondering about you. I hope you have been well.

Will2

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2010, 02:03 pm »
Thanks Al - looks like you have found a source for exactly what I need - part number SC28C right - thanks a ton!

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2010, 02:18 pm »

I never used any router bit for trimming out driver holes exept the SC28. I ordered a few and trimmed the end to allow for some tweeters that have a thin faceplate.

I happen to have a sc29 that I bought for trimming laminate but never use.  Is it any good for this application?

RAW

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2010, 02:34 pm »
Thanks Al - looks like you have found a source for exactly what I need - part number SC28C right - thanks a ton!

Yes the SC28c is what I used.
The best money you ever will spend on speaker building. Using this to trim out the veneer works great.

Nice veneer job by the way :thumb:

RAW

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 2010, 02:35 pm »
Hey Al, I have been wondering about you. I hope you have been well.

Will chat!
OK hanging in