Comparing drivers

Arctos

Comparing drivers
« on: 17 Feb 2004, 03:01 am »
Hello,
I have a hypothetical question (that may become practical very soon for me!):

Assume that using Unibox (or any other speaker design software) 2 different drivers with some moderately different specs exhibit the same response characteristics with identical enclosure volume, power and port dimensions.  Would this equate to the drivers being interchangeable in regards to crossover design while using a particular tweeter?

As info, I am asking this to see if I can substitute the Audax HM210Z12 driver for the HM210Z0 (which is no longer in production) without modifying the crossover.

Thanks!!

_scotty_

Comparing drivers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2004, 03:32 am »
Arctos, do you have a zobel network on the current driver and does the impedance curve of the new driver look the same with a zobel network on it as the the old driver at the xover point. If the efficiency is a match between the old and the new driver and they have the same impedance at the xover point and the same rolloff characteristics when used with the existing xover you should be able to substitute  the new driver without modifing the existing xover network. Sorry it isn't a simpler answer.
     Good luck, Scotty

Arctos

Comparing drivers
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2004, 01:25 am »
scotty,
Unfortunately I do not have a zobel network, nor any equipment to measure the impedance curve.  If this is the only way to figure this out I may be out of luck.  I was hoping there was a way to check with unibox or another design system.

Thanks!!

Anyone else have any ideas?

_scotty_

Comparing drivers
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2004, 02:19 am »
Arctos,here is a link to online calculators, I hope this helps. At least you can figure a zobel network with it. http://www.martindalecenter.com/Calculators1A_3_HamAc.html#AUDIO-SPEAK