Knight and Day

Bigfish

Knight and Day
« on: 26 Jun 2010, 08:07 pm »
Knight and Day stars Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise.  My wife and I went to see this one today as it is so hot outside we felt being in a movie theater would be a great spot to spend a couple of hours.  Cameron and Tom both did a good job of acting in this one.  There is a tremendous amount of action and while entertaining the movie lacks a sense of realism.  It was fun and I will rate it a 3.25 out of 5 stars.

Ken

Don_S

Re: Knight and Day
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm »
I am not a Tom Cruise fan.  Something about him turns me off.  Maybe he is too smug.  Same feeling about Travolta.  I prefer my heroes "underplayed" like Matt Damon as Bourne. How was Cruise's character in Knight and Day?

I guess what I would like to know about the movie is does seeing Diaz make putting up with Cruise worthwhile?   :lol:

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2010, 11:30 pm »
Saw with my girlfriend...not Cruise's best performance (seemed pretty creepy at times), but not too bad.  Cameron Diaz annoys me.  Overall, if you're in the mood for a romantic actionish/comedy, it's not a bad film.  It wasn't really a comedy...and not really an action film.

I'll agree that the film definitely lacked a sense of realism...the CGI wasn't the best and even something about the airplane scene seemed...off.  For a cheap show or rental, worth it.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2010, 11:39 pm »
I like the fact that cruise does all his own stunts, a rarity for acters of his stature. I'm looking forward to seeing this flick next week as I love Cameron Diaz's work,, and Cameron Diaz.  :drool:  And Cruise,,,, well unlike John Travolta whom I've grown to truely enjoy, I'm still waiting to turn that corner with ole Tom. Thanks for the endorsement Ken.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2010, 11:47 pm »
I enjoyed him in the Mission Impossible series, The Last Samurai, and especially Tropic Thunder.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2010, 03:52 am »
Wife and I liked this one. Just a fun summer movie.

To say its not realistic is, I think, missing the whole point. The movie never takes itself serious...  just a crazy story, with some decent characters, a few funny lines, and some interesting situations. Its not a "thinker" folks... just something to pass a couple of hours. It should make you chuckle. Definitely wouldn't think anyone is going to be bored. -well, as long as you don't come in with the wrong expectations.

Enjoy.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:47 pm »
This movie was waaaaay better than expected. Boy Fox f-ed up the marketing on this one (when has there been a Cruise movie poster without his face?). This should have been a bigger hit. I have a love/hate w/ Cruise. Just when I'm about to swear him off as a loon who's overrated he does something just different enough to impress me.

What I love about this movie is that his character has all the attributes that were missing from his Ethan Hunt in the M.I. movies: charisma, likeability, vulnerability. For K&D he's more 'real'. And he's funny. It's a different kind of performance for him. It's like part Clooney and part Jackie Chan. None of that steel-eyed I-just-mastered-controlling-my bodily fluids (no joke. there's a 'superpower' center in florida for scientologists where they learn to do that. google it.) gaze that he likes to use. He's playing the dream guy every guy wants to be in his own fantasy action/spy movie. And he does it brilliantly.

Diaz is also very good. She gets what the picture is about and they have very good chemistry together.

The film is a throwback to 'traditional' action fare as evidenced by a lot of old pop songs and even a line by Sarsgaard (collecting an easy paycheck) about loving the classics.

Definitely would hold up over repeat viewings.

Kudos to James Mangold. He's a solid director, sorely overdue for a big hit.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:55 pm »
I am not a Tom Cruise fan.  Something about him turns me off.  Maybe he is too smug.  Same feeling about Travolta.  I prefer my heroes "underplayed" like Matt Damon as Bourne. How was Cruise's character in Knight and Day?

I guess what I would like to know about the movie is does seeing Diaz make putting up with Cruise worthwhile?   :lol:

Diaz does make a bikini appearance  :o

however, the last word I would use to describe Cruise's character is 'underplayed'. The film is very much a fantasy, so his character is a straight up bad@ss with a wink. Think Jackie Chan.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2010, 07:17 pm »
I also watched this movie last week and I really liked it. Cameron was,, well she was Cameron, I loved her. Cruise wasn't all that bad either. I found a nice mix of comedy, action & drama in this movie and it earned an easy 3.25 of of 5 stars.

Knight and Day was much more enjoyable to watch than The Twilight Saga: Eclipse. Unlike the 1st movie, this sequel had less action, less special effects, and less actual storyline. I watched this flick in IMAX and even that didn't help this movie out much. It was easily the least liked IMAX movie I've seen to date,,, which isn't all that many really. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

I'm really looking forward to my next IMAX movie to start 7-16, Inception starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Also opening 7-16, The Sorcerer's Apprentice starring Nicolas Cage. Looks like a solid special effects laden matinee doubleheader.  :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin

rodge827

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2010, 07:45 pm »
Wife and I liked this one. Just a fun summer movie.

To say its not realistic is, I think, missing the whole point. The movie never takes itself serious...  just a crazy story, with some decent characters, a few funny lines, and some interesting situations. Its not a "thinker" folks... just something to pass a couple of hours. It should make you chuckle. Definitely wouldn't think anyone is going to be bored. -well, as long as you don't come in with the wrong expectations.

Enjoy.

Saw it with the wife yesterday to escape the heat here in NJ.
You pretty much nailed it TRADEXFAN.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2010, 09:34 pm »
I will watch this one, I will admit to liking a fair number of Cruise movies.  This one will be rental though.

2nd the kudos for his performances in the Mission Impossible series, The Last Samurai, Tropic Thunder, and for me Collateral.