Has anyone done an A/B of the RM30 and the RM40?

HarleyMYK

« on: 17 Feb 2004, 12:32 am »
Just wondering if anyone had done an A/B of the RM30 and the RM40 and what they thought the differences were...

John Casler

« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2004, 01:10 am »
Since no RM30s are out there yet, probably only Brian (or Jim) has had that type opportunity.

While Bud is taking a bit longer than expected to get the cabinets ready, Brian has told me that his cabinetry is 2nd to none, and the new Cherry sample he has seen are better than anything he could have ask for.

I certainly have heard the same "cuts" on each but not in an A/B system/room/speaker comparison.

SCUBADON

• http://24SCUBA.COM
Well tell us
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2004, 01:27 am »
John, since you have heard both, what are your impressions as compaired to each other?  Should I sell my RM 40s and order the 30s ? Or, just save up for a while, longer now, and get the RMX?

SCUBADON

ekovalsky

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2004, 02:02 am »
Save and get the RM/X.  With TRT caps and Analysis Plus silver on the woofers.

Recommendation based on my previous pair of TRT'd RM-40's, the trio of RM-30's and CES, and my current RM/X.

You can't go wrong with any of them, but even at the new higher price the RM/X is a bargain.

John Casler

Re: Well tell us
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2004, 02:12 am »
Quote from: SCUBADON
John, since you have heard both, what are your impressions as compaired to each other?  Should I sell my RM 40s and order the 30s ? Or, just save up for a while, longer now, and get the RMX?

SCUBADON

Hi Don,

I have to preface this by saying "I love BIG Speakers" and sound.

That said, I have to admit that my next new speakers will likely be the MLS, TRT'd, FST'd, RM40s (sounds like I'm singing the Mickey Mouse Club song)

Now in order to give a framework to why this would be, I would say it has to do (doesn't every component) with preference/room and system.

Why would Brian introduce a cheaper smaller system at all?

To obsolete his larger systems?

No way :nono:

He did it to fill a nitch.  The RM30 is a very significant "over achiever", and it has also provided some "trickle down/up" technology that will also find its way into the other speakers.

I heard the RM30 play cleanly about as loud as any speaker can.  This means that anyone can expect to purchase one and fill their medium to large sized room with clear, effortless music.

If you have a very Large room then the RM40 or RM/x will be even better.

In a smaller nearfeild listening postition the RM30 might offer a slightly better imaging speaker due to the narrow baffle, unless you use my "anti-refraction" tweak.  Then the RM40 is in the same ball game  - but close and not the winner -  as the narrow baffled RM30 and sculpted RM/x.

There are also going to be a few small "improvements" to the RM40s that I haven't gotten approval to divulge just yet, that will make it an even better speaker than before.  Nothing "revolutionary" but more "evolutionary", as in a couple small gradient improvements that will ultimately contribute to better sonics.

So the decision becomes "even harder"

RM30?
RM40?
RM/x?

If price is no object, or it it is attainable, (which it is not for me) the RM/x is a no-brainer as far as the "Ultimate" VMPS speaker.  But if you're serious about that one.... There are only 13 more "shopping days" till RM/xmas, at the old price!!!   :(  

So, as Big B often says, "send money" :lol:  :lol:

And to get back to answering your other question; Should you sell your RM40s?  By all means!!  This helps some budding audiophile realize the first major step to building a "High End" system, and gives you a start on upgrading to the latest and greatest.

Even if you go back to another pair of RM40s, it is a move up the rung.  

I'm doing it 8)