new member's horn loaded speakers

pheesama

new member's horn loaded speakers
« on: 24 Jun 2010, 03:16 pm »
I am new here. My name is Pheesama, Thai nationality and also living in Bangkok.

Here is my front loaded 15 incher with tractrix pression chamber mid-range and coral horn tweeter.
The 15 inchers are from PA speakers and have 97 dB. They are made in China. I like them very much since they can go quite high: ~1 KHz.

pheesama

Re: new member's horn loaded speakers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2010, 12:57 pm »
Some of my othr horns I have built in the past....long time ago

This is an exponential front loaded horn with 8" Philips full-ranger

pheesama

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2010, 01:00 pm »
And this is Tangban 3" in quasi lancetta (Needle) TL

It look like this after modifying.

I drive them with my diy op amp LM 3875TF in non-inverted. The digital source is a Sony Play Station I. I used infra-red remote control from PS II.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2010, 05:06 pm by pheesama »

pheesama

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2010, 01:02 pm »
Here is the 10X 8" Fullranger in Line Array.

It is in concarv  OB.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2010, 01:24 pm »
Keep up the good work. Your efforts look good.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2010, 02:50 pm »
Hi pheesama,

Wow! Those are some amazing builds. Can you tell us more about how they sound, and the different strengths of each one?  I am especially interested in your Phillips exponential back-loaded horn and your focused line array.

It looks as if your wife approves of these speakers, which is rare, so you are very lucky :)

pheesama

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2010, 05:04 pm »
Hi rjbond the 3rd

That smatching looking lady is not my better half. I just borrowed her to pose for having possibility to compare sizes. She is with my friend.
But you are right. My better half cares for my happiness. And she never complains  neighter about those "Le Viathans" nor those room partitions.

I got the enclosure plans from www.hornlautsprecher.de. (Luckily German is my mother tongue). Then I tried to get optimum volume of the  compression chamber for the philips (here I did with 4", 6" and 8" Full Rangers, all from Philips). After that I used the help* provide also in this webboard for calculating lengt of throat and size of horn's mouth. I am very happy with the outcome.
In this picture to the left of this little angle is cabinet of 8".
*In this website is a sheet where you can calculate your horn contour by putting the length of horn, area in cm² of throat (not exceeding 50% of  surface of your diaframe) and the size of the mouth in the formular. Voila!

Only the 8" Philips full-range speaker units sound hard in mid-range. It does not go very high and has modulate (acceptable) bass. Maybe I am spoiled by those 15 inchers!
In general, this kind of expo-back-loaded horn makes driver unit sound softer. When you get the optimum volume of the pressure chamber you will have quite natural sound and the "out of the box" effect. If you place them in your room well and standing 1 metre away then you were not be able to locat the speakers.

Once I did try with 8" from Hemp Acoustic. Here I gained enormeous bass and high freq in good quantity and have lost some mid-range. A step forward I had to add some more synthetic wool into pressure chamber in order to compensate adquately the needs of Hemp Acoustic's volume.

The front-loaded with 15 incher is a bombarde. I built 3 of them; 2 are passive and the other is active. I provided the last mentioned a 100 watts mosfet and use it as sub-woofer. Why do I need another sub. No! I did not. It was just curiosity. I let it work from 50 Hz downwarded. Sometimes one can feel  sound of bass rolling along the horn's throat until it hit us. From the very first moment of listening I put Cello Suite of J.S. Bach and I was meltet. First time that I have such precise and perfect volume of lower freq. Maybe I was dreaming since I heard vrey realistic how bow stripping on the strings. After few months this kind of low freq became quite acquentain to me.
I find that bass performance of this driver in multiple quantity and in OB configuration far more exciting! In short words this kind of bass horn is good for rock music and HT.

The blue one is an OB line array with 10 x 8" Philips full-range. I did built a pair of it. Here I have quite clean mid, not very broad minded bass and a very good dynamic and also dynamic contrast  and with extremly low distortion. The sound stage is always good when I got the correct position. he scale is good. The size of instruments and the singings are quite realistic.
We are not talking about sweet spot here. We are talking about sweet area instead. I stil miss very high and low-end. If I ever have a chance to built another line array then I would go for 2 or 3 ways.
I disintegrated the drivers for using elswhere and thrown away the baffles since I have not enough space in my corridor.

The most advange of concav baffle line array is that there is no interferrent among those drivers as long as one does calculate the radius precisely. I have designed them for listening from distance of 190-200 cm. And indeed that was the range it had to be kept. It is quite impossible to listen to them neither from smaller distance nor from a greater distance.

To th last here is a reso-box. The side panels are only 3 mm and pieced with ITT full-ranger 6x9" ovali

« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2010, 08:44 pm by pheesama »

rjbond3rd

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2010, 02:33 pm »
Hi pheesama,

Thank you for the very detailed information.  Your reso-box looks very interesting!  I can imagine that it could sound very natural and lively for cdertain types of music.

pheesama

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2010, 01:36 pm »
The sound is quite warm, lively and fast with ITT Ovali. And it will be become softly when piece them with  Ovalis fromn Taiwan.

Before I pieced it with Ovalis I had Philips Full-ranger 6" (Octagon frame) and another Coral Fullranger, also 6". The Philips sounded more soft and the coral quite pushy.
It is quite sensitive with the cahnge of drivers.

In general I never miss mid-deep freq. Unfortunately, it cannot go into deep bass  area.

And yes, it palys well with quartets and small bands. The liveliness and warmth are very dominant.

I bent them with 3 mm Teak-ply wood.