OK..Whats Jitter??

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
OK..Whats Jitter??
« on: 23 Jun 2010, 04:05 pm »
I keep reading about Jitter..what does it sound like? Is it audible??
I have noticed that between playing back CD's via my PS3 and playing back wav files via SB that sometimes the wav files sound faster as far as tempo goes-is that jitter???
Ed L.

werd

Re: OK..Whats Jitter??
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2010, 04:10 pm »

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2010, 04:28 pm »
Thanks--Got it now!!

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2010, 05:45 pm »

Jitter is a timing variation that manifests as FM sidebands and/or noise. These artifacts are typically 20 to 30 dB softer than the residual noise floor of a CD, so it's not likely to be audible. But it's very difficult to create jitter in controlled amounts for conclusive testing. Here are some links that I think give a good real-world evaluation:

Artifact Audibility Report
Detection Threshold For Jitter
Does Your Studio Need A Digital Master Clock?

The first link above is a set of audio files you can listen to that play nasty sounding artifacts at various levels below the music, to determine for yourself how soft noise must be to not be audible.

The second is a scholarly attempt to mimic jitter artifacts using software, in order to hold controlled listening tests.

The third is a "teaser" for a for-pay article ($1.49) at the Sound On Sound magazine site. This article will be free to read in another five months, but I can reveal the answer now because the author has already discussed it at length in other forums. After testing several converters with several brands of external clocks, using an external clock never improved the jitter and in all but one case made the jitter worse.

--Ethan

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2010, 05:56 pm »
Thanks Ethan!!! :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2010, 07:01 pm »
Good post, Ethan.  It's obvious that the author of the Positive Feedback article is bias, using the words "I believe" frequently when speaking of the audibility of jitter.  No one cares what he "believes;" we care about the facts.  I think its pathetic that he dismissed the controlled ABX tests, stating the systems probably weren't resolving enough, or that the source wasn't.  Give me a break!  Excuses, excuses, but the results remain the same.

I'd imagine if jitter did get to the point of audibility, the offending product should immediately be taken off the assembly line/recalled, as it should be deemed defective.  Of course, some people might like the change in sound they get from it.  Tubes add distortion that people like (including me), so why not add jitter?  :lol: :duh:

floresjc

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2010, 07:08 pm »
A marketing tool. ;)

Jitter does exist and it is an open flame war among audio types. Other than that simple statement, the rest kind of depends on how much you have invested in combating it.

floresjc

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2010, 07:15 pm »
Good post, Ethan.  It's obvious that the author of the Positive Feedback article is bias, using the words "I believe" frequently when speaking of the audibility of jitter.  No one cares what he "believes;" we care about the facts.  I think its pathetic that he dismissed the controlled ABX tests, stating the systems probably weren't resolving enough, or that the source wasn't.  Give me a break!  Excuses, excuses, but the results remain the same.

I'd imagine if jitter did get to the point of audibility, the offending product should immediately be taken off the assembly line/recalled, as it should be deemed defective.  Of course, some people might like the change in sound they get from it.  Tubes add distortion that people like (including me), so why not add jitter?  :lol: :duh:

The weak link in this chain IMO is easily the human ear. As Ethan states, you talking about an effect that is 20-30dB or more below the noise floor of a CD, which is quite low. Quite a few people struggle to listen to -30 to -40 dB on their receiver, let alone hearing that much difference below a noise floor.  While an interesting phenomenon, I just don't have the budget to go after so small an effect, the next 10K I spend is going towards the room and perhaps a tube amp for my SongTowers.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2010, 07:49 pm »
The weak link in this chain IMO is easily the human ear. As Ethan states, you talking about an effect that is 20-30dB or more below the noise floor of a CD, which is quite low. Quite a few people struggle to listen to -30 to -40 dB on their receiver, let alone hearing that much difference below a noise floor.  While an interesting phenomenon, I just don't have the budget to go after so small an effect, the next 10K I spend is going towards the room and perhaps a tube amp for my SongTowers.

I completely agree.  I was just kidding about adding jitter. :)

When I added my hybrid tube amp I got everything I liked about tubes, but also none of the drawbacls, if that makes sense.  I got the the "magical" sound stage width, depth and imaging, but the tubes don't depreciate like a normal tube, thus never have to be adjusted or replaced (due to the Hybrid design of the Butler).  The SS portion of the hybrid design provides the power, so I get 250 per channel @ 8ohms; solid state power and tube sound.  I love it!  If you do get a tube amp or hybrid design I'd love to hear your impressions.  They are quite cool IMO.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2010, 08:03 pm »
So I'm not worrying about Jitter, if its not audible..screw it!! :thumb: :thumb:
Tube sound is awesome as far as I'm concerned, I love it, as a matter of fact I'm creating another Tube DAC from my Tube DAC...I'm going to use the SS output of my current DAC and run it through a tube buffer to get-or try to get-another type of tube sound with the same DAC but running through different tubes....If you read about "old guy in Allentown gets electrocuted by tubes" its probably me!!! :thumb: :thumb: I can't just be OK with what I got..I gotta play around with stuff..its a sickness!!!!!!!!!!! :duh:

dmatt

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2010, 08:09 pm »
Ethan,

Thanks for putting together the samples of noise at different levels.

Out of curiousity is is the noise pulse rhythm close to the beat of the pop tune (the Men at Work sample)?  I listened to the noise during your cello piece to establish the beat, then listened to the pop tune and it sounded very similar. 

I am not denying that the low volume of the noise is what is making it hard to hear (at only -40dB, too!) during the pop music sample, but I also think it might be more noticable (to me anyway) if the rhythm was more dissimilar to the song.  Otherwise it sounds like a drum effect. 

But, if in addition to being very quiet, real noise is continuous and doesn't pulse, I suppose it is moot anyway.

Thanks again.

David

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2010, 08:10 pm »
Ed -

Why not just build a tube pre-amp?

Gene

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2010, 08:23 pm »
Ed -

Why not just build a tube pre-amp?

Gene
That would require too much thought!!! LOL...easier just to plug sh*t in!! :eyebrows:

floresjc

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2010, 10:24 pm »
So I'm not worrying about Jitter, if its not audible..screw it!! :thumb: :thumb:

My opinion - if your system doesn't have at least the equivalent of a Salk HT3 level speaker, DAC Cherry Jr\AVA Ultravalve\Modwright amp, AVA Vision\Wyred DAC, Parasound JC2\AVAStar pre, all in a fairly perfectly treated room, you have a lot more things to worry about than jitter.

Even with HT2-TL's, I'd gain more spending another $2K getting HT3's than I would buying a CD player with 8e-9 less jitter. Heck I'd probably gain more spending a hundred bucks getting a dedicated circuit for my amps (which I have but am just saying for illustrative purposes).

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2010, 04:12 am »
I have noticed that between playing back CD's via my PS3 and playing back wav files via SB that sometimes the wav files sound faster as far as tempo goes-is that jitter???
Ed L.

CDPs from MBL and Nagra have relatively high measured jitter and yet recieve great praise...

decal

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2010, 05:29 am »
OK..Whats Jitter??

It's what I experience the morning after a heavy night of drinking!!!! :beer: :wine:

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2010, 02:43 pm »
is the noise pulse rhythm close to the beat of the pop tune (the Men at Work sample)?

Not intentionally. The noise pulses on and off starting at different beats of the music, and sometimes not on a beat at all. You can see this more clearly in my AES Audio Myths video starting about 32:00 minutes in.

--Ethan

firedog

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2010, 10:26 am »
Jitter is a timing variation that manifests as FM sidebands and/or noise. These artifacts are typically 20 to 30 dB softer than the residual noise floor of a CD, so it's not likely to be audible. But it's very difficult to create jitter in controlled amounts for conclusive testing. Here are some links that I think give a good real-world evaluation:

Artifact Audibility Report

Does Your Studio Need A Digital Master Clock?

The first link above is a set of audio files you can listen to that play nasty sounding artifacts at various levels below the music, to determine for yourself how soft noise must be to not be audible.

The second is a scholarly attempt to mimic jitter artifacts using software, in order to hold controlled listening tests.

The third is a "teaser" for a for-pay article ($1.49) at the Sound On Sound magazine site. This article will be free to read in another five months, but I can reveal the answer now because the author has already discussed it at length in other forums. After testing several converters with several brands of external clocks, using an external clock never improved the jitter and in all but one case made the jitter worse.

--Ethan

I'm not impressed by any of the 3 links in the above quote.

Here's a couple of links to articles explaining  in general what jitter is.
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/193jitter/index.html
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/1290jitter/

Part of the conclusion:
Nevertheless, these results tie in with work by others that indicates that 16-bit data jitter of any kind needs to be less than 200ps or so if it is not to produce measurable effects in the analog signal (footnote 5), which in turn means that even though the data are reclocked, the crystal clock in the CD player or the PLL in the processor that do that reclocking need to hold their word-to-word timing accuracy to better than 10 parts in a million. And that time precision needs to be preserved during the digital data's travails on its way to the DAC, something that in my opinion is, frankly, unlikely.

The audible effect of jitter suggested by these simulations would be to add a signal-related grundge and lack of resolution as the analog signal's noise floor rises and falls with both the signal and the jitter, while any periodicity in the jitter—at the power-line frequency and its harmonics, for example—will throw up frequency-modulation sidebands around every spectral component of the music. The "clean" nature of the original analog signal will be degraded, "fuzzed up" if you like, to produce the typical, flat-perspectived, often unmusically grainy CD sound.

Jitter isn't just "sidebands" or "noise" - it's heard as a form of distortion and as noted in one of the articles, can effect imaging. A low jitter stream has an overall cleaner, clearer, more musical, natural sound with more solid bass. Stereo imaging and instrument placement in space is also improved over the same recordings reproduced with more jitter.

I've personally been tested in double blind tests and can identify jitter in the 15-30ns range, and I know of a few others who can identify it at the level of 10ns. This is way below the threshold of "hundreds" of ns cited in one of the articles. Jitter is easier to identify on some kinds of music than others, and like lots of things in audio, you can hear it when you know what to listen for. It may be that many listeners aren't aware of it's effects until it is pointed out to them, and therefore say they "can't hear it". To me and many others a 100ns difference in jitter is so obvious it can't be missed.

I'm not sure the SoundonSound article has a lot of relevance to home audio, it's about a studio setup. I have a master clock/slave system working on my home system that was specifically designed for it, and it has been measured to reduce jitter from about 300ns to about 200ns. The difference in SQ with and without the Master clock isn't subtle.

BTW, all jitter measurements need to be taken with a grain of salt, as there isn't a standard for measuring jitter. It's therefore very hard to compare any numbers that aren't made by the same method. At least if you are comparing numbers arrived at by the same method, you know that the relative levels of jitter in the measurements are accurate.

MaxCast

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2010, 11:34 am »
all jitter measurements need to be taken with a grain of salt, as there isn't a standard for measuring jitter. It's therefore very hard to compare any numbers that aren't made by the same method. At least if you are comparing numbers arrived at by the same method, you know that the relative levels of jitter in the measurements are accurate.
that is not fun.

I have a master clock/slave system working on my home system that was specifically designed for it, and it has been measured to reduce jitter from about 300ns to about 200ns. The difference in SQ with and without the Master clock isn't subtle.
I would like to listen to that, would be interesting.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2010, 04:36 pm »
I'm not impressed by any of the 3 links in the above quote.

The research done with software simulation tested a lot of people blind, which is the only way jitter levels can be related to audibility. So I trust that a lot more than non-blind "subjective" tests.

Jitter isn't just "sidebands" or "noise" - it's heard as a form of distortion and as noted in one of the articles, can effect imaging.

I have to say I'm pretty skeptical about that, at least for normal levels of jitter you get from properly working gear. Do you have a link to a properly performed blind test that proves at what jitter levels people report hearing imaging affects?

To the best of my understanding, all that jitter can do is add noise. The noise may or may not be related to the frequencies present in the source material. But it can always be expressed as artifacts some number of dB below the signal. I've never seen numbers as high as the Stereophile article. Was that jitter intentionally contrived to be much larger than normally occurs?

I've personally been tested in double blind tests and can identify jitter in the 15-30ns range, and I know of a few others who can identify it at the level of 10ns. This is way below the threshold of "hundreds" of ns cited in one of the articles.

Please tell me more about your test and the circumstances!

I'm not sure the SoundonSound article has a lot of relevance to home audio, it's about a studio setup. I have a master clock/slave system working on my home system that was specifically designed for it, and it has been measured to reduce jitter from about 300ns to about 200ns. The difference in SQ with and without the Master clock isn't subtle.

According to Dan Lavry, famous converter designer, and Hugh Robjohns (SOS writer), that's physically impossible with normal converter designs.

Do you happen to live anywhere near me in Western Connecticut? If so, I'd love to come by for a listen in person.

--Ethan