Has anyone tried the Fostex F120a on an open baffle setup?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
or was this driver not designed for that application?

dublin78

Re: Has anyone tried the Fostex F120a on an open baffle setup?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2010, 10:17 am »
See: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/131590-mjk-s-jordan-jx92s-ob-goldwood-gw-1858-woofer-h-frame.html

The designer includes a passive solution for the f120a instead of the Jordan driver if you read on through the thread.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2010, 05:29 pm »
Don't know about OB application, but I have recently heard good things about the 126en Fostex driver that has recently come out.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:16 pm »
I've read good things about the F200A in O.B. (the F120A's big brother).

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2010, 05:58 pm »
Hi, JLM.  Did you hear about it on the net?  Can you provide a link?

dublin78

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:59 am »
Dracule: Martin J King, the designer of the system identified in my last post, and here: http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project08/Passive_Crossover.pdf
used to have a passive solution for the same system but utilising the F120A instead of the Jordan unit. He listed it on the same webpage, but has removed it. I contacted him recently and he stated

"I took down the F120A option for the Goldwood H frame design because in the end I was not happy with the performance of the F120A. I have now heard the F120A in a couple of different systems and initially it sounds good but after listening for a while I have been disappointed each time. In my opinion for the cost the performance is poor. I am now using a FE-126E in the Goldwood system and that sounds much better."

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2010, 10:16 am »
I haven't tried them in an OB. The F120A's are so coherent from top to bottom in a vented 15L enclosure.
(recommended enclosure is 10L though.) The lower midrange is particularly rich, which makes the driver sound larger than it is.
Overall sound is very smooth. Regretted selling the little boxes. :duh:

If you ever build them in vented boxes, you won't regret it =)

JCS

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:11 pm »
I have a pair of F120a's in Metronome (quad. tapered MLTL).  They sound kinda pitiful on all the SS amps I have tried.  MJK brought over a tube amp. connected it up and WOW!  You wouldn't know it was the same driver!  I don't know why this should be, but the highs stink on SS amps.  On tubes, they are wonderful.  I was about ready to dump the F120a's until I experienced them on tubes.  The result is that last year I bought my first tubes since the 1960's.

But overall, I would not bother building any other speaker using the F120a.  I can't see spending the money for them.  There are drivers for less $$ that I enjoy just as much.  If I ever purchase another pair of drivers w/ Alnico magnets, it will most likely be Lowthers.

Cheers,  Jim

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2010, 04:01 am »
I would not bother building any other speaker using the F120a.  I can't see spending the money for them.  There are drivers for less $$ that I enjoy just as much.

I'd second that... I really like the F120A but it is an old design and FR drivers are getting better with each passing year. I've a couple sets in my living room now that i think are better than the F120A... and you could buy all 4 for the price of F120A.

dave

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2010, 04:41 am »
I'd second that... I really like the F120A but it is an old design and FR drivers are getting better with each passing year. I've a couple sets in my living room now that i think are better than the F120A... and you could buy all 4 for the price of F120A.

And those FR drivers would be....?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2010, 08:30 am »
Mark Audio Alpair7 and a pair of production prototype Alpair10 Gen2 hand made by Mr Taniguchi-san, the gentleman who was in charge of the Fostex driver manufacturing plant before the recent economic slump had Foster consolidating production... the guy in charge of making F120As. Mark Audio Gen2 drivers are getting more & more input from the exFostex guys that designed the drivers we know & love.

dave