Neo 3 Vented

Ron

Neo 3 Vented
« on: 20 Jun 2010, 11:34 pm »
 If someone wanted to build a pair of Neo 3's vented in lieu of a TL or sealed, what would be the optimum  internal volume requirements, port diameter, and port length? Also what would the -3 db down be?

Danny Richie

Re: Neo 3 Vented
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2010, 01:19 am »
1.141 cubic feet of air space and the -3db would move up to 47Hz. It would be a bit of a backwards step.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2010, 04:47 am »
Hey Danny, sorry, but could you please explain to us in what way that might be a backwards step? And if that’s the case, should the bass section of the OB-5 be re-designed to be a TL?
Also, would just the bass section of the OB-5 have been the answer to the original Q?

BrianH

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2010, 05:07 am »
Wouldn't going from -3dB at 40Hz (TL) vs -3DB at 47hz (vented) be considered going a bit backwards?

You might have to rephrase the question for the rest of us to understand what you are asking about if you were being serious.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:34 am »
Hey Brian,
What u say is true regarding ported vs TL, but the original question from Ron was also regarding the sealed box, which is closer to 80Hz (as I remember it), hence, im not sure where the backwards step might be(?)
The question that I was asking was regarding the bass section of the OB-5 (which has the same drivers as the N3's, but as a ported box), and if there would be much advantage in changing the design from a ported box for a TL instead?

Ron

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:34 pm »
 I agree that a TL would provide the best bass response, but don't agree that a vented box would necessarly be considered a step backward. A vented box would certainly provide better bass than a sealed box and the box would be smaller than the TL too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2010, 03:16 pm »
You give up some control and extension in the bottom end. Plus you wind up needing to use a short speaker stand.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm »
Fair enough, Thanks Danny  :D