integrating an AVR in a 2ch system

ricardojoa

integrating an AVR in a 2ch system
« on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:04 pm »
Can someone tell me in general how to integrate an avr in to a 2 ch (preamp+amp) that has no HT by pass? Is this even possible? Thanks

srb

Re: integrating an AVR in a 2ch system
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:23 pm »
The AVR must have pre-outs.  Plug the Front Left and Right AVR pre-outs into a pair of line inputs on the two channel preamp.  You can set the AVR's Front Left and Right levels to 0 in the AVR setup.  Then find the position of the preamp's volume control where the fronts are level matched to the center and rears, either with internal test tones or a setup disk.  Mark that position on the preamp's volume control for reference.  If the preamp has a digital volume readout, then you will use that number.

When you want to listen to the HT, select that input on the preamp and return the volume control to that calibrated level.  The disadvantage of not having an HT Bypass input is that the signal will be going through an extra volume control and other preamp circuitry, so it won't be as pure as it could be, and of course you have to set the preamp volume control each time.

Steve

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:31 pm »
^^^
Steve's explanation is perfect. My AVR and 2Channel are integrated using this same process. I matched the L/R front levels using the AVR level mode (white noise) measured with a sound meter, but you can get pretty close just with your ears from the listening position.

ricardojoa

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2010, 03:01 am »
thanks Steve

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2010, 01:34 pm »
I never thought of doing this with out a HT bypass pre! This opens up the choices... Thanks!