Bill Evans - "You Must Believe in Spring" - WOW!

Sonny

Bill Evans - "You Must Believe in Spring" - WOW!
« on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:45 pm »
So, last night I was listening to this LP, on Warner, and having listened to it many times, something hit me last night as to how masterful this album IS!

BE piano playing is just mesmerizing and the Eddie Gomez sensational on the Bass.  If you haven't got this or haven't listened to in awhile, pop in the cd or cue up the LP!  You enjoy it for sure!

BE's piano playing has hints of classical theme and you'll never heard of the "M*A*S*H" theme played so well!

Listen to it and report back!

Tuan

shep

Re: Bill Evans - "You Must Believe in Spring" - WOW!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:12 pm »
One of my very favorite albums. I've listened to it hundreds of times! The transfer to CD from vinyl was done tastefully I find. I've heard most of Bill Evans and I still think this one is top of the crop. I don't know what happened to Elliot Zigmund. He was a very nice drummer. Eddie Gomez is of course always masterful in the right company.

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:38 pm »
One of my very favorite albums. I've listened to it hundreds of times! The transfer to CD from vinyl was done tastefully I find. I've heard most of Bill Evans and I still think this one is top of the crop. I don't know what happened to Elliot Zigmund. He was a very nice drummer. Eddie Gomez is of course always masterful in the right company.

Which CD version do you have? Thanks 8)

Lyndon

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:18 pm »
Good question, martyo
There are two cd versions.  And sometimes the earlier one, without the "extra tracks"
is the better one.

In rock, look at many reviewers saying that the 2nd version of the Stones 'Exile' is better for issue than the most recent, with extra, extra tracks.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:25 pm »
Good question, martyo
There are two cd versions.  And sometimes the earlier one, without the "extra tracks"
is the better one. Have you

In rock, look at many reviewers saying that the 2nd version of the Stones 'Exile' is better for issue than the most recent, with extra, extra tracks.

Why is the earlier version of You Must Believe in Spring "sometimes" better? Have you heard both versions?

-Roy

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:35 pm »
I also have the cd, perhaps i'll listen to it tonight...

Regarding early vs newer version, how can it "sometimes" sound better?  Is it due to the weather, how much beer you've had or what?   :scratch: :thumb: :eyebrows:

martyo

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:58 pm »
I also have the cd, perhaps i'll listen to it tonight...

Regarding early vs newer version, how can it "sometimes" sound better?  Is it due to the weather, how much beer you've had or what?   :scratch: :thumb: :eyebrows:
:lol:
Different mastering.

Good example:  The recent Beatles remasters.
Bad example: It seems, most of the Rhino remasters.
Good question, martyo
is the better one.

And a new import(Japanese) later this month.

Lyndon

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:09 pm »
Regarding early vs newer version, how can it "sometimes" sound better?

Sonny,
I don't want to hijack your thread, as I am a Bill Evans fan.  :eyebrows:

Let's see, the newer version has been remastered with proper attenuation to the aspects of compact discs. It must sound better.  REALLY?
And back to my Stones' Exile example.  That was one of the murkiest, worst recording setups the band ever used.  Were they able to clean up the dreck with the new remastering? Not much.  One must accept the good with the bad on certain recordings.

Do I want 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' with EXTRA tracks? Yeah, let's hear some outtakes right after 'A Day In the Life' 
Does that make me a purist? I'm trying to recall any cd I've bought with the extra tracks added, and wondered if it made my listening enjoyment any better.
Nope.
And like my vinyl, I'm lazy with a cd.  I put it on, and press play.  Not going to program out the 'extra tracks', so my vote is on the first issue. 8)
Roy, 
If I had heard both versions, or read a review on either, I would have commented on it.
Good luck to you on Jerome's raffle of his Bill Evans LP tonight.  If you win, perhaps we could hear your review of the different versions: 45 LP, LP, and CD. :thumb:

Lyndon

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:11 pm »
+1 martyo
Thanks!

Sonny

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:14 pm »
Lyndon and Martyo...
I was just asking "How sometimes" it can be better.  I too like newly remastered stuff, but it's with a grain of salt as you guys have mentioned.  I normally try to see who did the remastering and if in fact it's a "remastering" not just a mere "reissue"  Having said that, I believe that most of my "japanese" reissues/remastering are better than the original. 

I have the Bill Evans Complete Riverside collection on 45RPM and can't wait til my 901 breaks in to hear it!!!

T

shep

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:37 pm »
It must be the first version, since there are no extra tracks. The sound is excellent in any case. I have only a dim  memory of the vinyl and no other cd version to compair to. I have recently purchased some other Evan's re-releases, including one I never heard of with chet baker. Both are pretty poor recordings compaired to the one under discussion...granted they are "live" recordings.

Lyndon

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2010, 08:34 pm »
Well, Sonny 's positive comments has tempted me to  order the older cd release.
I am very happy with my last Bill Evans cd purchase:

Sonny

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2010, 08:39 pm »
Yes, I would like to get this as well, but haven't...it'll be in my amazon cart for sure.  Just picked up the Bill Evans complete riverside recordings, on 11 ablums 45rpm...cost me a bundle, $600 to be exact, but hey, what's $600 if it's Bill Evans?  I mean we spend that kind of money on silly things, don't we?   :scratch: :green:

writeface

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2010, 08:40 pm »
Well, Sonny 's positive comments has tempted me to  order the older cd release.
I am very happy with my last Bill Evans cd purchase:

I have this and love it. I have now ordered the spring album. Thanks Sonny for the recommendation.

Lyndon

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2010, 08:41 pm »
So, Sonny...you heard about Jerome's raffle tonight, eh?
When you get tired of that $600 set, just remember your old friends at AC, O.K.? :lol: :lol:
Lyndon

Sonny

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2010, 08:48 pm »
So, Sonny...you heard about Jerome's raffle tonight, eh?
When you get tired of that $600 set, just remember your old friends at AC, O.K.? :lol: :lol:
Lyndon

Oh yes....I remember if I EVER GET TIRED OF IT!!!!  very doubtful for sure....

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:43 pm »
Great album!!

Between his albums, collaborations, and box sets, I have 57 Bill Evans albums in my library and he is always heavy in the rotation.

I love just putting him on shuffle and listening away.

George

santacore

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:28 am »
Great stuff!! Popped this on earlier after browsing this thread. For some reason I just never get tired of his stuff. Moon Beams is another one I've been enjoying lately.

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:41 pm »
What a great album!  Thanks for the recommendation  :thumb:.

Best,
Ed

srb

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:14 pm »
I only have 14 Bill Evans albums, including "You Must Believe In Spring", but my music collection is not that large, so he is still a significant artist within it.

I think Bill Evans fans would very much enjoy this tribute album from Brazilian pianist Eliane Elias, "Something For You: Eliane Elias Sings and Plays Bill Evans".  I'm not sure why Amazon is only currently carrying the import CD.  http://www.amazon.com/Something-You-Eliane-Elias-Sings/dp/B000ZN958K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1276877329&sr=8-6

I think you would also very much enjoy two radio shows that you can listen to over the Internet, from Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz show on NPR.  In the Eliane Elias show, Eliane talks about Bill and plays some of the music from that album  (She is married to Marc Johnson, who was Bill Evan's last bass player).

The Legendary Bill Evans on Piano Jazz
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92185496

Eliane Elias on Piano Jazz
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96054860

All of the Piano Jazz series shows are available on the NPR archive.  If you are a jazz fan and have not listened to the shows, I urge you to do so.  Really good stuff.

Steve