VPI Classic Cueing Device Adjustments

95Dyna

VPI Classic Cueing Device Adjustments
« on: 16 Jun 2010, 07:45 pm »
Does anybody have any experience adjusting the height of the cueing device on this table?  I know there is a tiny hex screw on the armature that holds the cylinder you must loosen first.  I did so and the device slowly dropped to its lowest position.  I don't see any other way to perform this than to simply pull the arm rest up manually and tighten the screw but that doesn't seem to be working and it's not easy to make a precise adjustment that way.  I need  to set it just high enough to clear the thickest record.  Thanks in advance for any advice as the manual provides no information.

Bill

Wayner

Re: VPI Classic Cueing Device Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2010, 08:53 pm »
I have not seen the VPI queing mechanism, but if it's like the Rega or Technics, the pad assembly has the set-screw in it. If you loosen up the set screw, you can move the pad up and down the post that it is set-screwed to. Yes, you are correct that you have to find a happy place so that the stylus doesn't touch a record surface with the queing up (with thickest record) and that the arm tracks across the record surface without hitting the mechanism.

Good luck

Wayner

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2010, 08:54 pm »
Bill, are you trying to raise or lower the initial position of the cartridge?  If so, you are close, just loosen the cuing mechanism, adjust the "whole" mechanism up or down to the preferred height, then tighten the screw.  You may have to do this a few times...as it's a "trial and error" kind of thing.
T

95Dyna

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:43 pm »
Thanks guys.  I discoverd the solution and, as you have suggested, it was simply loosen the tiny set screw and move the barrel of the device up.  I was confusing myself by thinking the arm rest shaft inside the barrel (which is damped) was to be moved up and down.  It would have been easier had the table been sitting out on a open shelf but mine is installed in a shelf inside an oak cabinet.  I was being lazy not wanting to disassemble the Classic and take it out of the shelf.  The thing is a monster at 60 lb's or so w/ platter.

Regards,

Bill

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:21 pm »
Glad you fixed it Bill.  One thing I'll suggest is that Turntables, which are very sensitive to resonance (of all kinds) should not be placed in enclosed areas while playing as the sound waves will cause the "oak cabinet" to resonate, which in turn will cause the TT to resonate, unless it is well dampened or suspended.  Even then, it's not good.  THis is just my IMHO....

Tuan

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2010, 03:01 am »
Glad you fixed it Bill.  One thing I'll suggest is that Turntables, which are very sensitive to resonance (of all kinds) should not be placed in enclosed areas while playing as the sound waves will cause the "oak cabinet" to resonate, which in turn will cause the TT to resonate, unless it is well dampened or suspended.  Even then, it's not good.  THis is just my IMHO....

Tuan

I agree that is the case with most turntables and that is a major reason I bought the Classic.  I don't have any placement flexibility so it has to be in the cabinet.  Harry Weisfeld says the Classic has been tested sitting next to a pair of 15" woofers (mine each have a pair nof 12" woofers) and no detectable resonnance.  It is it's own isolation device.  Also, my cabinet is a custom made solid oak  with a quality of construction that cuts down the resonance to a degree.  I can actually jump up and down or change the settings of my Ray Samuels Nighthawk sitting on the same shelf without any disturbance to the sound.  All that said I'm experiencing some incredible sound so far so much so that my Esoteriic X-05 SACD player is getting an extended rest!!