3way active pllxo

keenween

3way active pllxo
« on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:36 pm »
Does anyone know of a 3way speaker with pllxo crossovers, or the possibility of it? I like the idea of pllxo crossovers, but it doesn't seem to make much sense for a 3way.

2ways can be integrated easily enough with subs, but what about a crossover in the 300hz range for a 3way? Would a 2way with a 300hz rolloff need to be designed for this to happen? Is that possible?

I've done a bunch of surfing but haven't found anything similar.

andyr

Re: 3way active pllxo
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2010, 03:37 am »

Does anyone know of a 3way speaker with pllxo crossovers, or the possibility of it? I like the idea of pllxo crossovers, but it doesn't seem to make much sense for a 3way.

2ways can be integrated easily enough with subs, but what about a crossover in the 300hz range for a 3way? Would a 2way with a 300hz rolloff need to be designed for this to happen? Is that possible?

I've done a bunch of surfing but haven't found anything similar.

The title of your post says "active PLLXO".  As PLLXO stands for "passive line level crossover" ... by definition it can't be active?  :?

However, keeping in tune with your topic ... I currently run my Maggies 3-way active.  IE. I have a box behind each speaker which contains 3 amplifier modules and a mono, 3-way active XO (plus 4 PSes  :D ).

These are "active" speakers because they have no passive components between the amp module and its driver.  Allowing the amps to directly control the drivers (with no passive components "in the way") is good, IMO.  :D

But in the next few months I am going to replace the active XOs with PLLXOs, just to see how it sounds.  So I guess I will have what you were asking about - speakers where the amps are directly connected to the drivers (hence they are "active") but with a PLLXO in front of the amps, instead of an active XO.  :eyebrows:

Regards,

Andy