Powered speaker options...

praedet

Re: Powered speaker options...
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2010, 12:58 am »
I am quite impressed with the AudioEngine A5s I just got.  They compare better than I thought they would to my Crazy Skiing Ninja modified Polk LSi9s...

srb

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:08 am »
Very nice! I'm tempted to compare my current passive bookshelf speakers to the active Yamaha msp7 monitors.  I could be wrong, but being designed as studio speakers, does that mean thay are best used in a near field setup when someone is sitting close to the speakers? Or wouldn't it be an issue to let's say sitting 120 inches away from these speakers?

Yamaha describes both the MSP5 and MSP7 as near field monitors.  And although the tweeter waveguide is supposed to have 120 degree dispersion, I don't know how they would perform in a far field setting.  The MSP5 and MSP7 are different than the MSP3 in that they are biamplified and have a larger 1" tweeter.

The MSP3 is designed for "personal music production systems" and seems to be more of a multimedia desktop product, as evidenced by its dual inputs, each with level control, and its front panel bass and treble controls.

How did the midrange and high end of the KRKs compared to the Yamahas?

The midrange was a little smoother and less emphasized on the Yamaha and the treble was about the same, even though the KRK has a 1" soft dome and the Yamaha has a 3/4" aluminum dome.  The Yamaha just seemed smoother, clearer and more evenly balanced.  This is comparing one mono speaker to another mono speaker.  I have no idea how soundstage and imaging might compare.

I have been told that the KRK VXT series is much smoother and refined than the KRK Rockit series, but that is to be expected with an increase in price within the same manufacturer.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 7 Jul 2010, 11:59 am »
Just to state the obvious...

Single driver speakers are "active" by definition.

They are supremely coherent and image like champs so would be ideal for nearfield listening.  They typically lack deep bass and can "beam" at high frequencies, but are quite efficient and shine in the all important midrange.

See the circle below for ideas.