Powered speaker options...

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Powered speaker options...
« on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:51 pm »
I saw a thread where some one suggested powered speakers (Virtue Audio?).

I'm interested in using a small pair for computer use; how well do they sound at lower volumes?

Also, what other brands make powered speakers?

skunark

Re: Powered speaker options...
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:55 pm »
NHT, Tannoy, PMC are a few that make them.  You can normally go to an online site that sells musical instruments and look for "studio monitors". 

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:06 pm »
As skunark states speakers marketed for sound production is one area to look--Genelec, M-Audio--I have Blue Sky 2.1 set up in my home office. Another segment is computer based audio such as Audioengine (there is a thread here on AC)

usp1

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:08 pm »
Check out the Swan powered speakers at theaudioinsider.com . I have the Swan M200 original version and they work very well for computer use. The newer models have more power.

funkmonkey

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:10 pm »
Audioengine (there is a thread here on AC)

x2 Certainly, check out Audioengine...   great sound for low $$$   

bunnyma357

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:33 pm »
If you check out the pro audio powered monitors, keep in mind that often they are sold individually, so you may need to double the price when comparing. Also "Active" and "Powered" are the same thing - depending on the brand.

Jim C

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:38 pm »
I saw Quad monitors for sell here on AC.
Great small speakers with big sound. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:48 pm »
Those Audio Engines look interesting...

Any others???

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:27 am »
Aktimate, mate.

Expanding on bunnyma357's post, in pro audio circles active means active crossover and bi amplified speakers, powered means a speaker with a passive crossover andan amplifier stuffed into one of the speakers for both channels.

AudioEngine and Aktimates are powered speakers, Quad, Genelec, Mackie and KRK are active speakers.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:37 am »
The active Quad 11L monitors are very good although they would only qualify as cheap at the used price. They play at low volumes nicely but sound better when cranking them up. Here's a crappy pic of mine.

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2010, 02:42 am »
I saw a pair in maple for around $500.
Speakers + amp = not a bad deal.  But you are right about used market value to qualify these for this circle.  Nevertheless, great speakers.

TIC

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2010, 10:45 pm »
If you want a pair of really inexpensive active studio monitors, check out the Cakewalk MA-15D by Roland. The street price is about $179/pr. They have analog inputs as well as coax and optical digital input (built-in DAC). They also have separate volume controls for both the analog and digital inputs, so you can have both connected at the same time. They have bass and treble tone controls and an analog line-level sub out. Finally, they have a headphone jack on the front, so if you have the speakers connected to your computer via digital (coax or toslink), you can listen to music through the speaker's internal DAC connected through the speakers headphone output.

I find them to be truly remarkable for the price.

BTW, I also have a pair of Quad 12L Active monitors. The Quads are significantly better used as traditional hi-fi speakers out in the room. However the Cakewalks are very good at lower volumes in a near-field setup. The Quads bass goes much lower, but the cakewalks are perfectly adequate for me in a very near-field (desktop) setup.

Enjoy,

TIC

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2010, 12:29 am »
Polk Audio also has the Hitmaster which includes an 80W amp.  They are normally $99.95 and on sale for another 5 days with shipping included in the US for $79.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2010, 12:31 am »
Here's what it looks like -  http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Polk-Audio-AM2555-A-HitMaster-Stage-Monitor-Loudspeaker-for-Gaming.shtml

Has a minijack and RCA input and you can daisy chain them together through the RCA outs

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2010, 02:52 am »
I believe Dynaudio makes some actives but have no idea what they cost.  Think the Quads may be the best value.  But, check it out. 

mgalusha

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2010, 03:37 am »
I have a pair of Mackie MR5's at work and they are surprisingly good. A 2 way active monitor, $179 each.

RCduck7

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2010, 10:17 pm »
I'm curious about the Yamaha studio models, they are certainly not expensive and the few user reviews that i read rate them very highly, they should compete with more expensive speakers like Adam Audio, Dynaudio, Spendor and alike..

http://nl.yamaha.com/nl/products/proaudio/speakers/?series_id=17110

srb

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2010, 11:08 pm »
I'm curious about the Yamaha studio models, they are certainly not expensive and the few user reviews that i read rate them very highly, they should compete with more expensive speakers like Adam Audio, Dynaudio, Spendor and alike..

I have a single Yamaha MSP3 monitor that I use in mono in my "Super Shower Radio" bathroom system.  It only has a 20W amp (not bi-amplified), 4" woofer and 3/4" aluminum dome tweeter, and is fairly compact (5-11/16"W x 9-5/16"H x 6-9/16"D).  It sounds excellent at all volumes, whereas my bedroom powered speakers, the Kanto iPair5, don't fully "wake up" and don't have enough treble at very low volumes.

Bi-amplification in itself does not guarantee great sound.  The Yamaha replaced a KRK Rokit 5 monitor, and to my ears outperformed it, even though the specs for the KRK on paper would tell you otherwise (more powerful bi-amplification, 5" woofer, 1" soft dome tweeter, larger cabinet).  The extra bass that the KRK generated was boomy, even with LF attenuation and trying different placements.

I have not compared these to the Audioengine 5, but I think there may be some value in having a monoblock amplifier in each speaker (The Audioengines have a stereo amp in one speaker and a speaker cable to the other speaker).

Using a studio monitor like the Yamaha has two small disadvantages:
1.  Must run the left and right line level interconnects separately to each monitor
2.  No single stereo level control.  You would have to use the volume control on the computer or adjust both front baffle level controls to change volume.

The advantages of the Audioengine are:
1.  Single left/right interconnect is run to one speaker
2.  Has a stereo level control on the front controlling both speakers
3.  Has a USB charging port for the iPod and a rear panel AC outlet to plug in an Airport Express

The Yamaha MPS3 sells for $150 -$165 each, or $300 - $330 a pair.

Steve

RCduck7

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2010, 10:53 pm »

I have a single Yamaha MSP3 monitor that I use in mono in my "Super Shower Radio" bathroom system.  It only has a 20W amp (not bi-amplified), 4" woofer and 3/4" aluminum dome tweeter, and is fairly compact (5-11/16"W x 9-5/16"H x 6-9/16"D).  It sounds excellent at all volumes, whereas my bedroom powered speakers, the Kanto iPair5, don't fully "wake up" and don't have enough treble at very low volumes.

Bi-amplification in itself does not guarantee great sound.  The Yamaha replaced a KRK Rokit 5 monitor, and to my ears outperformed it, even though the specs for the KRK on paper would tell you otherwise (more powerful bi-amplification, 5" woofer, 1" soft dome tweeter, larger cabinet).  The extra bass that the KRK generated was boomy, even with LF attenuation and trying different placements.

I have not compared these to the Audioengine 5, but I think there may be some value in having a monoblock amplifier in each speaker (The Audioengines have a stereo amp in one speaker and a speaker cable to the other speaker).

Using a studio monitor like the Yamaha has two small disadvantages:
1.  Must run the left and right line level interconnects separately to each monitor
2.  No single stereo level control.  You would have to use the volume control on the computer or adjust both front baffle level controls to change volume.

The advantages of the Audioengine are:
1.  Single left/right interconnect is run to one speaker
2.  Has a stereo level control on the front controlling both speakers
3.  Has a USB charging port for the iPod and a rear panel AC outlet to plug in an Airport Express

The Yamaha MPS3 sells for $150 -$165 each, or $300 - $330 a pair.

Steve

Very nice! I'm tempted to compare my current passive bookshelf speakers to the active Yamaha msp7 monitors.
Did you know they also have a subwoofer in that studio range? Someone could build a surround setup with 1 or 2 of these speakers used as a center speaker sitting on their side if he wanted to.
I could be wrong, but being designed as studio speakers, does that mean thay are best used in a near field setup when someone is sitting close to the speakers? Or wouldn't it be an issue to let's say sitting 120 inches away from these speakers?

Doublej

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jun 2010, 11:57 pm »

Bi-amplification in itself does not guarantee great sound.  The Yamaha replaced a KRK Rokit 5 monitor, and to my ears outperformed it, even though the specs for the KRK on paper would tell you otherwise (more powerful bi-amplification, 5" woofer, 1" soft dome tweeter, larger cabinet).  The extra bass that the KRK generated was boomy, even with LF attenuation and trying different placements.adjust both front baffle level controls to change volume.

How did the midrange and high end of the KRKs compared to the Yamahas?