FS: (2) ModWright KWA-150 SS Amps (Both SOLD)

dmatt

FS: (2) ModWright KWA-150 SS Amps (Both SOLD)
« on: 14 Jun 2010, 09:01 pm »
Both amps are sold.

Pair (2) of excellent condition KWA-150s. 

Rated 8 (on the Audiogon scale) because I am the second owner.  No cosmetic damage, no scratches, smoke-free house, away from kids, etc. I would rate them a 10 on looks and performance -- amps look and sound superb. 

ModWright has performed a full check-out of the amps, so the amps will be to spec.  Amps will ship from ModWright's factory in new ModWright boxes with manuals. 

$3,400 per amp, and that includes shipping.  I will sell and ship only within Continental U.S.  If paying by PayPal please add 3%.

Selling these amps only because I have replaced my Salk HT3s and do not need the power these amps provide.

(Pics of one of the amps)

I used the amps about three months, running them 24/7 in low bias and switching to high bias for critical listening.  Coupled with my ModWright 36.5 DM and Salk HT3s these amps were sweet, especially when bridged as monoblocks. 

I really like the KWA-150s with the HT3s.  I got all the control and muscle needed for high volume, dynamics, and bass control, but also more nuance than my former McCormack DNA 500.  Also, I could listen at fairly low levels and not lose any of the detail or micro dynamics (6Moons talked about this as well).

The KWA-150 is well reviewed in both 6Moons and in the January ‘10 issue of The Absolute Sound where Dick Olsher said:
"To my ears, the KWA 150 represents a smashing success, combining the musicality of tubes with the punch, power delivery, and bass reach of transistors. Factor in the performance and looks of this amp relative to its asking price and the result is a fantastic value. Kudos to ModWright for delivering the sonic goodies, while avoiding sticker shock. Buyer beware: Once auditioned, this amp is hard to walk away from."

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/modwright5/amp.html
http://www.avguide.com/review/modwright-kwa-150-stereo-power-amplifier-tas-199?page=1

For those AC members who can't quote them from memory (and there are some who can), here are the specs and details courtesy of ModWright’s site:

The KWA 150 provides the strengths of both tube and solid state products: 3-D sound-staging, holographic imaging, and a beautiful midrange of tubes, combined with sparkling highs, low distortion, bass resolution, and control of solid state.

The heart of the KWA 150 Amplifier is a single voltage gain stage called the "Solid State Music Stage." The circuit was developed by Alan Kimmel, creator of the exceptional vacuum tube "Mu" stage.Features include: high-low bias switch, stereo/bridge-mono switch and true balanced floating inputs, accepting balanced and unbalanced inputs. The design incorporates a regulated power supply for the input stage, Cardas' best connectors and oversized heat sinks. The first watts operate in pure Class A.

The KWA 150 uses no global feedback, is direct-coupled, fully differential, dual-mono, bridgeable, and designed and built in the USA.

Technical Specifications:
Dimensions: 17"Wx17"Dx9"H; Weight 84lb packed
Power: 150W @ 8ohms; 250W @ 4 ohms; 450W @ 8 ohms bridged mono; 650W @ 4 ohms bridged mono. ALL power ratings at .05% THD
Noise Floor: -100dB (Unweighted) Bandwidth: 10Hz - 100Khz (+0, -1dB)
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2010, 05:20 pm by dmatt »

revrob

Re: FS: (2) ModWright KWA-150 SS Amps
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2010, 07:53 pm »
David,

What speaker did you replace the Salk HT3 with? I am curious because I have the same speakers. What were your reasons, I know the Salks love power.

Thanks,
Steve

dmatt

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2010, 08:51 pm »
Hi Steve,

I replaced my HT3s with Vandy 5As.  Those have always been on my short list of speakers and an opportunity came up to try them.  As you may know, The 5As have powered woofer sections so I don't need as much current/power as I did with the Salks.

If I still had the HT3s (and it took moving to 5As to bump them), I would keep the KWA-150s -- it is a beautiful match, especially with my MW 36.5 DM preamp.

If I ever get a pair of SoundScapes, I would grab another pair of ModWright amps.

David

(Edited for grammar.)
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2010, 07:31 pm by dmatt »

dmatt

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2010, 07:29 pm »
Bump.

These amps are still available for purchase.  I will sell either as a pair or separately.  They are resting comfortably in their new ModWright shipping boxes awaiting a new home.

Thanks.

David

dmatt

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2010, 05:53 pm »
Bump.

Think one MW KWA-150 is sonic bliss?  Try two runnng as monoblocks. 

These are available individually or as a set.

David

dmatt

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2010, 10:58 pm »
Pre-weekend bump.

Why not own one or a pair of the ModWright powerhouses that impressed at RMAF? (I hear they work well with Daedalus speakers.  I know they work well with Salk speakers.)

Cheers,

David

dmatt

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2010, 04:38 pm »
Update:

Sale pending on one amp.  One left.  I guess RMAF word of mouth spreads quickly.

Thanks.

David