Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« on: 14 Feb 2004, 12:24 pm »
About 2-3 weeks ago I had a brand new Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI drop shipped to Dan for modifications.

Here is a list of the mods:

1. Install a high quality RCA female digital out jack
2. Level I & II transport mods (as described on ModWright website)
3. Install three Bybee filters - (2 on AC line & 1 on digital out line)
4. Install LC Audio XO3 clock & power supply

Work is being done now.

Dan's latest comments to me via email:

"It is a nice looking unit and I am excited to hear the results of the finished product myself."

I will use the player mostly for DVD play back. I have a highly modded dedicated CD player. Will connect to my Sony RPTV via an HDMI/DVI cable from Better Cables. I already received the cable and had it Cryo treated by Cryogenics International.

Should be very interesting. Will keep you posted!

Levi

Re: Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2004, 03:11 pm »
Hi Steven,
Great and happy for you.  I was looking at the LC Audio X03 module before and I wonder how it would change the sound of the player.  Let us know when you get it back.

Levi

Quote from: StevenACNJ
About 2-3 weeks ago I had a brand new Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI drop shipped to Dan for modifications.

Work is being done now.

Dan's latest comments to me via email:

"It is a nice looking unit and I am excited to hear the results o ...

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2004, 02:30 pm »
I have read that the DV59-AVI has a pretty good factory clock. However the LC Audio clock & power supply should take things to another level.

I am sure that the new clock will positively affect the sound quality, I am also hoping that it will have a similar effect on the video output over an HDMI/DVI connection.

Maybe Dan can add something here.

Levi

video
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2004, 03:57 pm »
Hi Steven,

You might not get the video upgrade you wanted to get until you upgraded the Video dac.  As far as video goes, cinematrix video dac gets you closer to HD.  Maybe Dan can do it for you or let them do it.  

They promised up to 1920 x 1080 resolution for your HDTV... or you can get any native resolution pre-programmed and custom adjustments for your projection.

Levi

jjtoma

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2004, 10:37 pm »
Levi

Where can I find more info about Cinematrix?

Thank you

Jim :D

jjtoma

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2004, 10:38 pm »
Levi

Thank you

Levi

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2004, 01:34 am »
Quote from: jjtoma
Levi

Thank you

Jim,

Here is Thomas Rohr [cinematrix@web.de] email.  For further questions, please feel free to call him at (818) 878 6920.  They have a website but could not find it at this time.

Levi

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2004, 01:04 pm »
Update:

Dan emailed me recently and I am also going to have this included in the modifications:

"I am also finallizing a circuit board design for a compact, regulated power supply that will be an upgrade option for the Pioneer players.  Basicly, it provides three discrete voltages for the analog and
digital circuits, separate from the switch-mode supply
that is in the stock player."

Will keep you posted!

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2004, 06:36 pm »
For those of you that have PM'd me wanting feed back on my modded pioneer player, I have not gotten it back from Dan yet.

Hopefully it will be soon.

Levi

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2004, 08:15 pm »
How long has it been?

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2004, 01:54 pm »
It has been several weeks but Dan has kept me posted the entire time.

I believe that this is the first DV-59AVI that Dan (or anybody) has modded. One area which caused a delay was the need to order a clock in a special frequency. While another delay area had to do with Dan finishing up development of a new power supply.

But I think that his should all be completed very soon.

Will let you know.

Levi

Delay
« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2004, 03:25 pm »
Perhaps you could come to one of our NY Audio Raves' monthly sessions.  Several of our members have modified CDp you can compare your DV-59AVIs' sonic quality.  

I have the Sony 999ES with Dan's signature mod + multi ch mod + bybee.  I think the "Tube" mod will bring you closer to the real thing!  

Let us know your first impression.

Levi

StevenACNJ

Re: Delay
« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2004, 02:35 pm »
Quote from: Levi
Perhaps you could come to one of our NY Audio Raves' monthly sessions.  Several of our members have modified CDp you can compare your DV-59AVIs' sonic quality.  

I have the Sony 999ES with Dan's signature mod + multi ch mod + bybee.  I think the "Tube" mod will bring you closer to the real thing!  

Let us know your first impression.

Levi

Will take you up on your offer & will certainly let everyone know how the player turned out - as soon as I get it back from Dan.

modwright

Update!
« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2004, 08:12 pm »
I just received the clock - 24.xxxMhz for the unit and will be evaluating the units performance with the clock and will then install our new power supply and will compare the improvement here also.  The new supply provides a new, regulated analog and digital supply - free of the switch-mode supply and I expect this to make a big difference in all of the Pioneers.

Thanks,

Dan

StevenACNJ

Re: Update!
« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2004, 09:36 pm »
Quote from: modwright
I just received the clock - 24.xxxMhz for the unit and will be evaluating the units performance with the clock and will then install our new power supply and will compare the improvement here also.  The new supply provides a new, regulated analog and digital supply - free of the switch-mode supply and I expect this to make a big difference in all of the Pioneers.

Thanks,

Dan

Yo Dan,

Load all this stuff up:

And tell us how it sounds   :mrgreen:

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2004, 11:13 am »
I received an email from Dan and the unit is all finished. Dan is letting it burn in and doing some testing.

He will shortly provide his initial listening impressions. Perhaps he will post them here.

At any rate I will post a full review once I get the player back.

modwright

DV-59 Status Update
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2004, 05:52 pm »
Hi guys, here is the update:

The following work was done on the unit -

1) LC Audio XO3 clock and clock supply installed.
2) AC Slipstream Bybees installed.
3) Digital out Slipstream Bybee filters installed.
4) Level II transport mods (includes Level I mods).
5) Upgraded digital out RCA jack (Cardas).
6) Custom Audio power supply (ModWright Design) - to take audio circuits off of the switch-mode supply.
7) Damping of transport mechanism.

The sound is fantastic and I credit it largely to the new supply.  I did listen after the different mods.  The clock made an improvement, as did the initial mods, but the power supply mod REALLY improved overall resolution, bass response and overall musicality a good deal.

I am going to tweak a few more things on this unit and will be shipping it off in the next day or two.

The power supply has been designed and built to be adaptable to pretty much all of the Pioneer DVD players, including the 563A...

Thanks,

Dan

dogberry

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2004, 10:28 pm »
Dan, how much for the new power supply?  

Know of any vendors who sell the unit who won't balk at shipping to another address than the billing one?

modwright

Power Supply mods
« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2004, 04:45 pm »
Hi, if we JUST do the power supply mod, the price would be $250.  If we do it in conjunction with other work, the price is $200.  Most vendors will drop-ship wherever you tell them to :).  I don't know of any specific on-line vendors for the Pioneer units, but I am sure there are many.

Thanks,

Dan

StevenACNJ

Pioneer Elite DV59-AVI
« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2004, 10:42 am »
I had my Pioneer elite DV59AVI drop-shipped to Dan by Onecall.com