inexpensive, compact stereo amp for music server?

albireo13

inexpensive, compact stereo amp for music server?
« on: 12 Jun 2010, 12:53 pm »
I have a MAC setup in our bedroom system for playing iTunes and streaming internet radio. We also use the Mac as a CD player.   It works well but I plan on upgrading to a digital DAC.

Anyway, my question is regarding a stereo amp.  I am currently cabled to a Marantz 2226B receiver to drive the speakers.  20-30 watts/ch is fine, since we listen to jazz, blues, classical at modest levels.  The 2226b works well but is big, bulky and doesn't fit on the desktop.  Plus, I don't need a receiver .. just an amp.   I'm looking for a quality amp that is compact, and will fit next to the computer on my desktop.  Smaller the better. Does anyone have any good suggestions or recommendations?

Since this is not Apple-specific I am posting here.

Thx,
Rob

Phil A

Re: inexpensive, compact stereo amp for music server?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:03 pm »
It depends on what your budget is and how much quality you want.  Old Carver cube amps are probably not super expensive and from memory were about a 7 inch square and rated at 200WPC but I played with one once many moons ago and I wasn't impressed with the sound although I've heard worse.  There's the Marantz mono blocks that were THX rate and 5 of them together were the width of a normal audio component.  They are decent quality and not super expensive.  I have a single MA500 for a rear center channel.  It is about 3.5 inches wide (and probably around that height) and about 17.5 inches deep and the monoblock is about 130WPC.  Parts Express may have some of the small monoblocks that were made by Emotiva.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:04 pm »
I have a MAC setup in our bedroom system for playing iTunes and streaming internet radio. We also use the Mac as a CD player.   It works well but I plan on upgrading to a digital DAC.

Anyway, my question is regarding a stereo amp.  I am currently cabled to a Marantz 2226B receiver to drive the speakers.  20-30 watts/ch is fine, since we listen to jazz, blues, classical at modest levels.  The 2226b works well but is big, bulky and doesn't fit on the desktop.  Plus, I don't need a receiver .. just an amp.   I'm looking for a quality amp that is compact, and will fit next to the computer on my desktop.  Smaller the better. Does anyone have any good suggestions or recommendations?

Since this is not Apple-specific I am posting here.

Thx,
Rob
Hi Rob,
how about the Virtue One from Danny at GR Research ?
Have a nice day.
Guy 13 in Vietnam.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:07 pm »
Here's a couple of links

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380
   “Palm-size Class-T 30 watt amplifier
   Battery or AC powered—power supply included—for perfect portability
   88% efficient
   Superior sound quality
   Soft turn-on eliminates annoying speaker pop
   CE and RoHS rated design
Specifications: • Power output: 2 x 15 watts RMS (into 4 ohms @ 10% THD), 2 x 10 watts RMS (into 4 ohms @ 0.1% THD) • Efficiency: Greater than 88% • Dynamic range: 102 dB • Dimensions: 2" H x 6-1/8" W x 3-3/4" D.”

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-812

“*Dimensions: 5-1/2" H x 6" W x 11-1/2" D.
   Toroidal power supply
   2 x 75 watts RMS power @ 4 ohms, 1 x 150 watts RMS bridged mono @ 8 ohms
   High current, discrete output transistors
   Adjustable 50-150 Hz low pass crossover
Gold-plated 5-way binding posts that accept up to 8 AWG wire:

NewBuyer

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2010, 05:54 am »
Not sure how small is small enough for you - but the Parasound Zamp v.3 is compact, has auto-on capability and trim pots, and sounds great.

skunark

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2010, 07:27 am »
Have you considered active studio monitors?   

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:18 pm »
If DIY is possible, I am sure a gainclone would work wonders in what you describe, or one of those digital amps folks are building and raving about.

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:25 pm »
Easy. The Jolida 301 hybrid. 12AX7 input gain stage to a Mosfet output. She does 30wpc and sounds surprisingly good for such an inexpensive amp. Plus you get to tailor the sound a bit by rolling the tubes  :thumb:

http://www.jolida.com/index.php?p=products&category=1&model=26

It's about 9" wide, 6" deep, 2 1/2" tall (the dims are wrong on the website). I want to say it retails for about $450. Mike also offers a decent sounding USB DAC that would mate to your MAC for about $125.

I've played with a number of these over the years in reviews. I finally bought one to power the Aperion Audio outdoor speakers for my back patio. I couldn't be happier. WAY better than my T-Amp in my estimation. Then again, I'm heavily biased when it comes to tubes.

...just my $.02  :thumb:

albireo13

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2010, 03:27 pm »
Thanks guys,

The Jolida 1301 hybrid or the Parasound Z-amp look great!  Other option I am considering is build a gainclone amp.  I have the LM3886 Chipamp stereo PC board kit, I bought awhile ago.  Just haven't had time to work on it.  Maybe I will finish off that project.  The only thing is, I want an attractive amp (WAF is important) and not sure I trust my building skills.

Rob
 8)

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:02 pm »
Not sure how small is small enough for you - but the Parasound Zamp v.3 is compact, has auto-on capability and trim pots, and sounds great.

I've also seen another brand have small gear; I can't remember the name but it was a direct brand. The made amps, pre amps, DAC's, and headphone amps.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:33 pm »
Virtue Audio makes some nice, good looking, good sounding stuff.. :thumb:
http://virtueaudio.com/

wilbert-vanbakel

• Photoshopped Smile
    • On Facebook

funkmonkey

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:47 pm »
Have you considered active studio monitors?

x2   Check out Audioengine A5 powered speakers and get rid of a separate amp all together.  I have a pair and they sound great.  Only drawback I could see is that there is no remote for power and volume control, you have to flip the switch on the back or turn the knob on the left speaker...

santacore

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2010, 05:43 pm »
I second the Audio Engine active speakers. I have a pair in my kitchen hooked up directly to my iMac, and they work/sound great. Very small and clean system that works well.

MerlinWerks

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:57 pm »
I've been very happy with this Amp. As long as your speakers are reasonably efficient of course. Mine has silkscreening like the pictures near the bottom.

PSB Guy

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2010, 11:00 pm »
Virtue Audio makes some nice, good looking, good sounding stuff.. :thumb:
http://virtueaudio.com/
What Ed said...

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2010, 11:20 am »

Hexateq Studio230 Integrated 2 x 30 W