Setup Question

mathgeek97

Re: Setup Question
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:15 pm »
Concert Blu-rays ;)

You all read ted_b's review of the Atlona HD570 HDMI de-embedder?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0
I really like the idea of letting my soon-to-be-in-my-living-room AVA Vision DAC do all of the 2-channel D-A converting, rather than my OPPO BDP83.  It seems that I might have to start looking for 2-channel Blu-rays afterall... :)

coke

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:23 pm »
You all read ted_b's review of the Atlona HD570 HDMI de-embedder?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0
I really like the idea of letting my soon-to-be-in-my-living-room AVA Vision DAC do all of the 2-channel D-A converting, rather than my OPPO BDP83.  It seems that I might have to start looking for 2-channel Blu-rays afterall... :)

I might have to consider one of those.

I'm also using an oppo, and an AVA vision DAC is next on my list of things to buy (or a Gik room kit, not sure yet). 

fsimms

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:50 pm »
I just tried the Master Set method for setting speakers.  It worked well for me.   The stereo image is very stable when I move around the room.   I even have a good image when I sit on the couch shown in the second picture.

The Master Set procedure gives 5 or 6 node points within about 5 inches that are usable.  I chose the pt most into the room.

Bob

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2010, 07:18 pm »
I've been trying to fine tune my speaker setup and have a question...
..Basically it sounds like the music is in a V shape... 
...What can be done to even out the differences so that sound in the middle and outsides have the same depth?...

Ok, this topic really piqued my interest. Maybe I can learn something. I'm also hoping to hear something from The Designers. So far, the discussion here has focused on speaker placement. Nary a a mention on source material.

I own HT2-TL's and also have them setup on the long wall (16x12) with the listener up against the back wall. Speakers are closer to the middle of the room ala the Audio Physic method. Room is well treated (side walls as well) with Real Traps.

But, I too, also *sometimes* get that V shaped sound stage. It's never been an issue with classical music, as the speakers truly disappear. On some modern recordings (pop, rock, classic rock) I can hear sounds coming directly from the drivers. I've always attributed this to poor recording technique in studio; the engineers using panning on the mixing console.

Thoughts?

jsalk

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2010, 07:34 pm »
nyc_paramedic -

Ok, this topic really piqued my interest. Maybe I can learns something. I'm also hoping to also hear something from The Designers. So far, the discussion here has focused on speaker placement. Nary a a mention on source material.

I own HT2-TL's and also have them setup on the long wall (16x12) with th listener up against the back wall. Speaker are closer to the middle of the room ala the Audio Physic method. Room is well treated (side walls, too) with Real Traps.

But, I too, also *sometimes* get that V shaped sound stage. It's never been an issue with classical music, as the speakers truly disappear. On some modern recordings (pop, rock, classic rock) I can hear sounds coming directly from the drivers. I've always attributed this to poor recording technique in studio; the engineers using panning on the mixing console.

Thoughts?

Classical music is often recorded with a single stereo mic and, thus, the sounds are not panned hard left or right.  With most studio recordings, each channel can be placed independently in the mix.  If any sound is panned hard left or right, you will tend to hear it coming from the speaker on that side.  Some producers see to prefer the widest possible stereo mix and pan hard left or right quite often.  Others prefer to avoid this, mixing more toward the center and speakers will more easily disappear when playing these recordings.

- Jim