Marketing common sense

Sherlock

Marketing common sense
« on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:55 pm »
Now that google rules product names have to be unique so they can be searchable.

Calling your new product 'Icon Amp' is like calling your new ice cream 'ice cream'. 

Try searching for 'nuforce icon amp' and see what you get. 

Products need to be unique.   'Nuamp' or something like that.

It amazes me that it's 2010 and companies don't get this.

srb

Re: Marketing common sense
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2010, 06:06 pm »
Try searching for 'nuforce icon amp' and see what you get. 

I Googled nuforce icon amp

1st link:  nuforce.com website

2nd link:  Nuforce Icon Amp page at nuforce.com

3rd link:  Nuforce Icon Amps for sale at amazon.com

A topic like this one amazes me!

Steve

fredgarvin

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:10 pm »
Sherlock?... :lol:

viggen

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2010, 10:20 pm »
Excellent marketing.  It got me to google "icon amp".

gRF

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:24 am »
I think I see where Sherlock is coming from.

When googling for 'Icon Amp' I would like to get healthy mix of sales websites AND users' reviews.
Not only pages after pages of various sales websites (all offering icon amp for same US$179!), but some real users' experiences.

So far, you'll find only one guy's (short) comment, on Amazon - and that's about it! I wouldn't think there's only one Icon Amp owner in the world willing to share his thoughts... :)

srb

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:29 am »
When I want reviews, then I search for reviews.  Googling icon amp reviews returns 8+ reviews on the first page alone.

Steve

gRF

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:46 am »
Wow! How come I didn't think of that! :)

Let's just think again about Sherlock's original post - he's talking about two different products - "Icon Amp" and "Icon". And in my replies you'd see I make distinction between Icon (as in 18W DAC+amp) and Icon AMP (as in 30W amp - no DAC).

Now go back to your google search, and CLICK on some of those first 8+ links, and actually READ what's on those websites. Let me help you:
- (1st link) review of uDAC (!!!)
- 7+ reviews of Icon (some of them not really reviews - just diggs/shouts/whatever-links back to the same copy/pasted list of specs)

Let's not talk about google results, let's just stick to this forums, where one would expect there are bunch of ppl knowing each and all Nuforce's models by heart. When asking question about Icon Amp, half of the time you'll get guys talking about Icon.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:29 am »
I can understand people who search for headphone amp, DAC etc
But why would anyone search for Icon, Icon Amp if they already know us?
That's what our website is for.
Our marketing is weak. That's the next area of focus after we took care of R&D, operations etc.
It is important to build a solid foundation first, even if not enough people know us.
If I have to choose between hiring a support staff or marketing, we hire support staff fist. We got to take care of existing customers.

You will be glad to know that we are going to clean up the websites.

Thanks for the feedback
Jason

gRF

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2010, 10:18 am »
Jason,
I don't think the problem is finding info or specs on Nuforce Icons. Nuforce webiste provides plenty of information in that regards.

What I wanted to see are reviews, blogs, forum posts - real users' experiences - made by people who own both old Icon and Icon... or old Icon and HDP... who can make direct comparison.

There are plenty of markets around the world where it's impossible to get Nuforce's candies other then ordering from Amazon or eBay (if they are willing to ship it to my country, that is).

Maybe Sherlock and I are not using the word "marketing" correctly. Maybe "product naming" should be the correct term. I can't just walk into audio shop, find Icon amongst Denons, Onkyos, Yamahas and the likes - and hear the difference by my self. I have to do a lot of googling before I decide to buy something. Sometimes is just one-liner enough to make up my mind, like your comment in another thread ("Amp is slightly warmer compared to Icon"). But if both products have virtually same name, digging that one-liner out of hundreds of google pages, well...