Diving back into Vinyl

JoshK

Diving back into Vinyl
« on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:22 pm »
So after multiple year hiatus of having my Teres kit table packed away due to home renovations, I am finally setting it back up.

I wasn't getting anywhere fast on refinishing my plinth, so I copped out and bought a prototype slate plinth that Jonathan Weiss (of OMA) had made for Chris Brady (of Teres). 

Old plinth...

I had actually painted the plinth gloss black, it just needed a little more polishing.  By the way, if anyone wants a this plinth free, contact me.  I can take pictures of it in its current state.  It is partially lead shot filled so it is really heavy. 

new plinth...

I also went a little crazy and got a Verus motor.  But Chris sent me the Verus motor before I have to sent the original motor back, so I can compare that upgrade.

I just started to set up the table last night but I didn't have some necessary specs on hand, like spindle to pivot distance (222mm). 

Ericus Rex

Re: Diving back into Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2010, 11:01 pm »
Way cool!  A homemade turntable!  You have some cajones my friend  :thumb:

JDUBS

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:26 am »
Awesome, Josh!  How are you incorporating it into your system with the DEQX?  Is the DEQX going to digitize its analog signal?

-Jim

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:24 pm »
Awesome, Josh!  How are you incorporating it into your system with the DEQX?  Is the DEQX going to digitize its analog signal?

-Jim

Yes, that is the plan.  I know its said to be less than ideal, but I am skeptical that the downsides are really that severe to out-do the upsides.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2010, 03:13 pm »
Heeeeee's back :thumb:

Many don't realize or remember, but Josh was the original Facilitator of the Vinyl Circle...before he went on his multi-year hiatus from his turntable setup.

Like many of us, he'll probably soon remember that analog is where the music lives :wink:

John

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2010, 07:40 pm »
Was I the first fac?  I don't even remember.  :duh:  I know I was one of the earlier ones, but didn't remember being the first.

I partly setup the table the other night.  It looks fiercely cool IMO without being so ungodly tall as my DIY job was. 

I need to fabricate a spacer for the armboard to plinth as the arm sits too low relative to the platter.  Not sure how that happened, but it won't be difficult to alleviate.  A little bit of mahogany between slate will look cool.

like this.

I will have to get it all setup this weekend. 

My initial setup is as follows:
A Hagerman Bugle II with super-regs, a prototype that never went to market, that will be my phono until I finish the Gary Pimm tubed phono.
Dynavector DV-20XH
Rega RB300 w/ Incognito wiring and heavyweight

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:37 pm »
DOH!!!

I go to try to set up my arm last night, pulled out the cartridge and the cantilever snapped off.   Well not off-off, but dangling.   $600 cart used very little.   :duh:

So, now to decide on whether it is worthwhile to have it fixed.  Can it be fixed? 

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2010, 08:06 pm »
DOH!!!

I go to try to set up my arm last night, pulled out the cartridge and the cantilever snapped off.   Well not off-off, but dangling.   $600 cart used very little.   :duh:

So, now to decide on whether it is worthwhile to have it fixed.  Can it be fixed?

Ow, that hurts. I'd check with Peter Ledermann of Soundsmith. I'm 99% sure if it can be fixed, he's the guy who can do it.

The 'table is looking mighty nice. I don't use mine as much as I should.  :oops:

Edit - from the Soundsmith page: "Most folks want to know "can my cartridge be rebuilt, even if the cantilever is snapped off??" The answer is yes; we usually can rebuild it, if the damage has not casued internal problems to the cartridge. We inspect for all types of internal damage as we start to work on any cartridge sent to us. "

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:12 pm »
Yeah, SS seems like the best solution.  $250 is still quite a bit less than a new or used one. 

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2010, 01:48 pm »
So I'm already thinking the next step ahead.   :duh:  Isn't that always the case?  I will use my current setup for a while, but I have an extra armboard, which I plan to make a pod for to have multiple arms. 

My main objective is to have one setup for those dumpster dive bargain vinyl that aren't very clean or pristine.  This includes many of my LPs my father gave me.  The other arm will be my reference for known clean LPs. 

What arms are there in the < $1,000 that are really top performers?  I just don't see myself plunking $5000 down for a Schroeder or Triplanar. 

Right now my top choices for consideration are:
1) Trans-fi Terminator 3 Pro  ~$1050
http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

2) AudioMod's Micrometer Rega rebuild  ~$750 
http://www.audiomods.co.uk/armkits.html

What other arms should I consider?

My current setup is
RB300 (incognito rewire, heavy weight) + DV 20XH being retipped + Hagerman Bugle prototype with super regs.

Working on building a Gary Pimm / Kurt Strain tube phono preamp.  Likely will pick up some step up Tx's to have flexibility for using LOMC.

Truth is I don't know what other carts I might play with.  I don't feel like dropping $1,000+ on something that is fragile and gets worn easily, I'd rather spend the bulk on the more permanent pieces like my table and arms. 

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2010, 04:09 pm »
Check out the Origin Live modded Rega's.  They are universally lauded for their order of magnitude improvements especially of the RB250 and to a slight lesser extent the RB300:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/olrb250_e.html

http://www.originlive.com/
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2010, 08:15 pm by 95Dyna »

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:01 pm »
As far as tonearms are concerned, I am likely putting off the upgrade for a little bit until I sort out the cartridge situation.   My Dyn is off to SoundSmith but the wait is very lengthy (~4mo).  In the mean time I'll need to grad something else.

I am thinking of picking up a Denon 103R and some Cinemag stepup TXs.  Any other suggestions?

TONEPUB

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:12 pm »
Why bother with a turntable at all if you are running it through a digital processor?  All it does is sound like a good CD player at best then.

I've used almost every major DSP based system out there.  They all kill the analog magic.  Get an SL-1200 and a budget cart and call it a day, it won't matter all that much.

bunnyma357

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:21 pm »
Why bother with a turntable at all if you are running it through a digital processor?  All it does is sound like a good CD player at best then.

I've used almost every major DSP based system out there.  They all kill the analog magic.  Get an SL-1200 and a budget cart and call it a day, it won't matter all that much.

Gotta disagree with this, I find even with a cheap ADC/DAC digitized vinyl retains the sound of vinyl. The improvement in my pure analog system with the modest Goldring MM cart on my Musichall MMF-5 when I upgraded to a Ortofon MC cartridge with Pure Vinyl/Focusrite interface acting as a digital phono preamp was substantial.

So for me, the point was better and more involving sound on a budget I could afford.

Jim C

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:18 pm »
Ultimately the comparison will be done between an all active system where digitization happens for the DSP (DEQX in this case) versus all analog.  I have the ability to design a passive system or tube crossover for analog active. 

But that is off topic.  I am interested to know of good reasonbly priced carts to use in the interim. 

bunnyma357

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:30 pm »
I have been using an Low Output MC Ortofon HMC-30 that I got on closeout from Needle Doctor and have been happy with it. Very detailed, but not overly bright or harsh sounding.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-HMC30-Cartridge;jsessionid=0a010a601f43aa46329959344232a23bc617f542f4c1.e3eSch0Pb30Pe34Pa38Ta38LbNj0

Jim C

drphoto

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:48 pm »
I'm quite happy w/ the Denon DL-160. I know it's a bit out of the league of what is being discussed, but if you are looking just for something in the interim while yours is being fixed, I think you'd find it quite servicable.

Berndt

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jul 2010, 09:47 pm »
I went from the ukaudiomods rb300, to a project 10cc evolution.
The project is a really nice arm for me.
Have been running a vintage cart lately, a dynavector karat through a peerless 4722.
This replaces a sumiko blackbird.
I'm very pleased.

Tubegopher

« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:24 pm »
Hi Josh,
I just was doing a search on Teres lead shot platters and plinthes and I came across your post. I joined AudioCircle so I can communicate with you.
I currently own a Teres table with the lead shot platter and I am using the Signature motor with silk thread. I use a Shure SME 3009 arm and a Denon 103R cartridge. I use Bent Audio Mu step up transformers.

I notice in this older post that you have an old plinth for a Teres platter.
Is it still available?
What are your thoughts regarding changing from the Signature motor to the Verses?

Thanks,

Don