Center Loudspeaker for SoundScapes?

Sonix

Center Loudspeaker for SoundScapes?
« on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:34 am »
I know it sounds ludicrous, but would an HT2 be appropriate as a center
speaker when listening to dialog during a movie?

Or how about when listening to multi-channel music?

just a crazy thought...

Regards,
Ken

JackD201

Re: Center Loudspeaker for SoundScapes?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:50 am »
Why not another SoundScape?  :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

highfilter

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2010, 06:47 am »
The crew is working on a SoundScape center, basically the 10" or 12" SoundScape on its side. I asked about a SoundScape center before and I'll most likely be picking one up after they are available.

I'm sure Jim will chime in.

Sonix

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:10 am »
Why not another SoundScape?  :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Great idea if it weren't for the obstructed view of the projector screen.
Need something on it's side other than my Ascend Acoustics 340-SE.

Regards,
Ken

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2010, 11:57 am »
The crew is working on a SoundScape center, basically the 10" or 12" SoundScape on its side.

Personally, I think this will be too large for many/most applications.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:35 pm »
Personally, I think this will be too large for many/most applications.

I don't know; I used a VMPS RM30C for a long time, and it was a great center channel speaker.

On the other hand, at that time I had a very large RPTV.  With the new flat panel TVs, where do you put any center channel, let alone a huge one?  Also, I think you can get away with lower bass response from the center, as you're going to have sub(s) for the bass anyway. 

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:37 pm »
I should've said that the RM30C sat on top of the RPTV. 

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:56 pm »
It looks like there will be two options.

The first is a woofer module that is essentially the same as the SoundScape laid on its side with the passives at both ends.  The top section would then sit on top of this cabinet.  So you have exactly the same drivers all around. It would be about 30" high, 28" wide and 23" deep.  The F3 would be the same as the SoundScape model it was meant to go with (SS10 or SS12).

We are just starting work on a second, smaller and lower cost center as well.  This will use a pair of 7" woofers in a front-ported cabinet with the Accuton and RAAL in the middle (a WMTW configuration).  This one will probably end up being about 12" tall rather than the roughly 30" tall option above. This 3-way will have an F3 of around 30Hz.

But to answer the question first posed, an HT2 center with the RAAL tweeter would probably work just fine as well.

- Jim

Mudslide

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:18 pm »
It looks like there will be two options.

The first is a woofer module that is essentially the same as the SoundScape laid on its side with the passives at both ends.  The top section would then sit on top of this cabinet.  So you have exactly the same drivers all around. It would be about 30" high, 28" wide and 23" deep.  The F3 would be the same as the SoundScape model it was meant to go with (SS10 or SS12).

We are just starting work on a second, smaller and lower cost center as well.  This will use a pair of 7" woofers in a front-ported cabinet with the Accuton and RAAL in the middle (a WMTW configuration).  This one will probably end up being about 12" tall rather than the roughly 30" tall option above. This 3-way will have an F3 of around 30Hz.

But to answer the question first posed, an HT2 center with the RAAL tweeter would probably work just fine as well.

- Jim

I just know someone is going to ask you for a TMWW 7" version for mains.   :lol: 

Ahem.....

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2010, 11:10 pm »
Hi,

How did you guess  :roll:.  I really like the sound of accuton mid/bass drivers but seas mid/bass drivers are pretty good as well.

Regards

Rod