Amazing and cheap portrait lens!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Amazing and cheap portrait lens!
« on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:28 pm »
I thought this all around handy zoom would be the last standing lens in my arsenal for portraits.

Wrong.

Enter the new kid in town.

1.8 fast and super sharp all the way open.  Can you say smooth Bokeh?

This is a regular consumer lens and it's a perfect example of the inherently superior nature of fixed length lenses over the zooms.  The same way integrated amps just can't compete with really good separates, no zoom lens (my EF 24-70mm L 2.8 is one of the best) can compete with a really good prime.  I am in love with this one and I am going around clicking everything in the world with it.   :thumb:

I will post pictures later comparing the two. BTW, 85mm 1.8 USM costs 1/3 what the 24-70mm L2.8 costs.  I think it also weighs 1/3 too.

drphoto

Re: Amazing and cheap portrait lens!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:41 pm »
That's been my lens of choice ever since I switched to Canon, which was when the first 1Ds came out.

I have 24 T/S, 28, 35, 50 micro and the 85. I rent zooms when I need to shoot a lot of variable scenes on the run.

Before digital, I was a medium and large format guy, so I never developed the habit of using zooms.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:15 pm »
Hey, interesting analogy, let's see some pics.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2010, 03:05 pm »

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2010, 03:13 pm »
Cute kitty :) See what you mean about the bokeh - very nice. Sorry about the compression on our server, it's a bit yucky. Even so, second pic has a bit of camera movement?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:13 pm »
Cute kitty :) See what you mean about the bokeh - very nice. Sorry about the compression on our server, it's a bit yucky. Even so, second pic has a bit of camera movement?

I am not sure.  It was hand held even if I had my elbow braced on my knee.  It was low light and fairly slow shutter speed.  I will use a tripod tonight and see if I get a sharper image.  I know one thing.  I am dealing with very shallow depth of field.    :rock:

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2010, 11:47 pm »
Hey!

Nice. :cool:  A bit soft. Maybe due to the camera shake.

The 85mm is still on my "Lens Lust List" And it would be nice if I have the FF DSLR to go with too  :icon_lol:

BTW... cute pussycat you've got there. I have orange tabby here also. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

mcullinan

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2010, 11:54 pm »
Yeah its def from the low light. I have a Canon 50mm prime 1.8. Love it. Takes spectacular photos. And light!

droht

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2010, 12:19 am »
Yeah, another big fan of the 85/1.8 here.  And you can snag them used in great shape just a bit over $300.  Great for portraits and also great for indoor sports where lighting is less than ideal.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:34 pm »
With tripod this time.

navi

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:50 am »
I use the 85mm but also the 100mm macro- I think the 85 is much better-
Would love to have the top of the line 85mm which is about $2500