Dan Fogelberg........

acidaho

Dan Fogelberg........
« on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:24 am »
 I don't know where I was when he was............... :duh:

I picked up his Souvenirs and The Innocent Age LP's and they are topping my charts :green:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Dan Fogelberg........
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:36 am »
You might want to try his 2009 album Love In Time, his last studio recording that his wife had been instructed to release shortly after his passing.  :thumb:

Samples
Cheers,
Robin

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:28 am »
Hope you guys don't mind a little story.

Back in '80 I was in college at the University of Louisville. I worked in student activities and was the lighting director at a place on campus called the Red Barn that was one of the cities hotspots for live music.

ABC TV had just been awarded the contract for the KY Derby and part of the deal was they were going to do a live show on Derby Eve, from the Infield. A feature of the show was to be an appearance from Dan Folgelberg who had written a song called "Run for the Roses" which of course ties in w/ the Derby. Plus he would do a few other songs from his new 'rock' record called "Phoenix".

Well Churchill Downs decided at the last minute that they could not accomodate this show, so there was a scramble to find an appropriate venue. The Red Barn turned out to be the only place available that had a big enough stage and other support to handle this type event.

So the circus came to campus.

Now, the point to all of this, is you would think that will all those sappy songs Mr. Folgelberg would be a really nice guy. Right?

He was one of the biggest A-holes I've ever met in my life. Just a complete jerk. Complained about everything. One kid asked for an autograph and he told her to go F-off.

Oh and there were just loads of squabbles between the TV people and the bands people. It was funny to watch. The band's lighting director and the TV lighting guy almost got in a fist fight. (I, of course got totally pushed aside)

BTW: If you like what you've heard so far, give the Phoenix record a try. Did have a couple of decent songs.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2010, 03:45 pm »
I never actually met Dan but he came into The Crisman Speaker Company while I was working there to buy another BetaMax, as his was going back to L.A. for repair. I observed and overheard his interaction with my manager. He seemed like just another self-absorbed Boulder trust funder. When you saw him he was probably in a major snit about being bumped from the national stage. And what you saw was probably closer to the truth.
I like a number of his songs though. Part of the Plan.

sugbob21

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:41 pm »
you should also check out Netherlands and Twin Sons of Different Mothers , the last one was with Tim Weisberg.  My 2 favorites

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:44 pm »
Those stories really surprise me.  I knew Dan - his father Larry was my band director in high school.  The song Leader Of The Band was about Larry slowly dying.  Dan used to come back to town during the holidays and hang out.  He was always very nice.  He'd jam with us in the band room when the band wasn't performing at the BBall tournament.

Also, he had a studio that he basically gave for free to any struggling musicians he found to allow them to record with top notch sound, techs, etc.  Put them up for free, tried to help them out, etc.

Guess there are always 2 sides. 

Bryan

chadh

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:34 am »

I heard a comedian on the radio the other day, doing an impression of Dan Fogelberg singing AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long.  Not really humor for the ages, but it was good for a quick giggle.

Chad

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:34 am »

I remember buying his Nether Land album when it came out. It was one of those albums that had to be played start to finish, really good. It made me go out and get some earlier DF albums but they did not quite do it for me. Haven't heard it in 20 years, not sure how it holds up now.

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2010, 03:02 am »
Well Bryan, I suppose one never knows what's really going on with people at the time. Maybe he felt like he was being jerked around by his label/management company regarding this Derby Eve show. There was definitely a lot of tension in the air.

Had a great band behind him. I remember Russ Kunkel was the drummer, who was pretty easy going.