Re-wiring house.....seperate audio breaker?

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
Re: Re-wiring house.....seperate audio breaker?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:50 pm »
Any supply house that sells 12/2 WG Romex will sell 10/2 WG Romex.

msm_1

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jun 2010, 05:33 pm »
Hi Steve

Regarding the 1040, thanks for pointing that out. I haven't hooked up that other amp, as of yet but have decided to run both directly from 2 different plugs and running my other gear thru the 1040.

Regarding the amps ( yes they do eat 1200 watts each at idle ) I did listen to one for over a week and was totaly taken back by it. I let it warm up for 2 hours using my tuner before getting into some serious listening. Please see other thread regarding the Spectrals

I know this may sound strange, but, the sound that I hope they provide me will out weigh the hydro bill when it comes in!

They do recommend leaving them on all the time but, I feel, letting them warm up over the 2 hours should prove enough.

I talked to Spectral and they still will work on these, and still regard these as one of the best amps they have produced.

My dealer was surprised that I was going to bi-amp 2 of these as well and recommended looking at better Pre's in the future.....but that's gonna be a while. ( Pre will need 2 balanced outs )

Thanks

Mike

ctviggen

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jun 2010, 05:40 pm »

Regarding the amps ( yes they do eat 1200 watts each at idle )

That is shocking.  I thought my Jeff Rowlands were high at 80 watts while "off".  1,200 while idle is a ton.  That's 12 100 watt light bulbs.  You have to turn down your AC just to make up for the heat being produced. 

msm_1

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jun 2010, 11:57 pm »
Hi

Yes they have a good 2 speed fan but still run fairly hot. I'm lucky that my room is in the basement and is almost 5 degrees cooler then the rest of the house. A friend suggested several laptop coolers under them but will try that only if I feel it is getting too warm.

I was shocked at the 1200 watts when I first heard it but then looking into the amps stats, I could see why.

I have been trying different amps for awhile now and feel that with these, even with their age   are prob at the peak of that part of my system. Next, I will play catch up with the rest of my equipment till hopefully, I can sit back, relax, and enjoy everything.

One thing....she likes audio as much as I do ( my dealer likes to see her more then me!!! lol ) so I'm sure that when the bills come in, I will be pointing the finger......lol

Thanks

Mike

JackD201

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:44 am »
Most 10 gauge is for 40 and 50 amp circuits for stoves and dryers  Really?  10 ga. for 40 or 50 amps?  Not where I come from.  Regarding romex in conduit, the only place, as I recall, that the NEC or local codes require conduit (actually EMT) is where duplex or switch box runs are surface mounted and not run within a wall, most likely on a basement masonry or concrete wall.

I'll take YOUR word for it es347. It's what you did for a living after all.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:47 pm »
...and I defer to you on all things audio :wink:

Wayner

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:49 pm »
Most 10 gauge is for 40 and 50 amp circuits for stoves and dryers  Really?  10 ga. for 40 or 50 amps?  Not where I come from.  Regarding romex in conduit, the only place, as I recall, that the NEC or local codes require conduit (actually EMT) is where duplex or switch box runs are surface mounted and not run within a wall, most likely on a basement masonry or concrete wall.

There are no 40 or 50 amp services in a home for 120 volt. Those amperages are 240 volt, which requires multiple conductors. Many cites require all wiring to be installed in conduit commercial as well as residential. That varies from town to town.. Romex use is not universal and is not "mandatory" in the NEC.

Quote from: JackD201 link=topic=82188.msg791428#msg791428  date=1276148664
I'll take YOUR word for it es347. It's what you did  for a living after all.

You can not put romex or other multi-corded conductors in conduit. It changes the thermal properties of the wire and thus, it's amperage (with regards to temperature).

Wayner

ctviggen

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2010, 09:39 pm »
You can not put romex or other multi-corded conductors in conduit. It changes the thermal properties of the wire and thus, it's amperage (with regards to temperature).

Wayner

I don't believe you're correct.  As long as you do a fill calculation, you can run Romex in conduit (inside, anyway).  See, e.g.:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=78477

However, why you'd want to do that is a different story.  I ran individual wires (THHN) in 3/4 inch conduit, and it was very hard to pull the wires through the conduit.  Include a romex jacket on them, and the wires would be impossible to pull. 

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jun 2010, 10:37 pm »
There are no 40 or 50 amp services in a home for 120 volt. Those amperages are 240 volt, which requires multiple conductors. Many cites require all wiring to be installed in conduit commercial as well as residential. That varies from town to town.. Romex use is not universal and is not "mandatory" in the NEC.

Wayner

Wayner,

at the risk of getting into a whizzing contest with a fellow EE, my post regarding ampacity of #10 wire had nothing to do with the voltage...only current carrying capability.  Regarding your comment regarding not being able to pull romex in conduit is not quite true.  I can show you thousands of homes in my county and perhaps millions in my state where romex is quite legally installed in EMT for physical protection on basement walls to duplex and switch boxes up the ceiling joist level.

You further said "those amperages are 240 volt, which requires multiple conductors".  By multiple I assume you mean 3?  240V service to a range or oven may be 3 conductors if 120V is also required but 240V is simply 2 wire.  Sorry to pick nits but accuracy is important when the subject matter is electricity.

Regards