Car waxing and detailing

sts9fan

Car waxing and detailing
« on: 7 Jun 2010, 04:58 pm »
I figured some of you guys would enjoy rubbing your babies down and I am looking for some tips.
I tend to treat my car like a tool, no real love or hate.  I am not a car guy really but it does need some attention.   
What products do you use to first clean the car real well then wax?   

Kris

BobM

Re: Car waxing and detailing
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2010, 05:05 pm »
Definitely make sure you clean the car well beforehand. No car washes, do this with a hose and dish soap (or car wash soap) and a nice big sponge.

I then apply a Carnuba liquid wax. There are plenty of brands, but you can't go wrong with Masters. I put a coat on every spring and every fall.

If you're really into the finish then I would suggest looking into Clay bars - again, many brands to choose from.

Enjoy,
Bob

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2010, 05:18 pm »
Clay bars?  Do you just use a sponge or a brush?  What do you dry with? 

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2010, 05:24 pm »
I use products from these guys for my cars, boats, etc.  http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html

I've become much less serious about it the older I get  :wink:

It all depends on overall condition of the finish, but if you run your hand over the surface and it feels gritty (AFTER cleaning) the clay bar works wonders and it's pretty hard to hurt the finish.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2010, 05:25 pm »
Use a sponge/boar's hair brush to wash, clay bars remove paint contaminants prior to polishing/waxing.

Here's a great company with any product you'd ever want for your car:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/

srb

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2010, 05:57 pm »
Here's a great company with any product you'd ever want for your car:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/

I second Griot's Garage products, and have been using them for the last 10 years.  They use no silicones in their products, which is the enemy of all surfaces, both interior and exterior.

Their paint cleaning clay, when used with the proper applicator and lubricant, has removed surface contaminants embedded in the paint, that washing and even polishing did not remove, leaving the paint surface ultra-smooth.

They recommend one of their several Carnauba waxes for those who want extra beauty and depth for their cherished chariot and are willing to wax 3-4 times per year.  Otherwise their Paint Sealant is recommended for less-than-pampered vehicles and once a year application.

The products are not inexpensive and shipping will make them more expensive, but one of their distributors, AutoAnything, has free shipping on everything.  http://www.autoanything.com/

The German Zymol products are my favorite, but they are prohibitively expensive at twice the cost.  I still have some Zymol Vinyl Conditioner left, that I use sparingly in the interior that one is often closed up in, and love the scent from their lemon seed oil, apricot kernel oil, sesame oil and coconut derivatives.

Although you can look at all the products online, I suggest you get a hardcopy of the printed catalog from www.griotsgarage.com which makes it easier to get a sense of all the products, and has many cleaning and protectant tips and information, even if you decide to go with another brand products.

Steve

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2010, 06:43 pm »
I like free shipping.  Thanks guys I grabbed some clay and the paint seal. 

Mike B.

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2010, 07:06 pm »
I use Maguire's soap. I dry it with a leather shammie. I probably have ten different waxes. A couple are boutique brands. Paste waxes are wonderful put take a lot of effort IMO. Most of the time I now use a Turtlewax clear spray wax. It is quick and efficient.

nature boy

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2010, 11:26 am »
I use Zymol car wash followed by Meguiar's M-0716 Mirror Glaze, and Meguiar's Next Generation Tech wax on my cars.  The Mirror Glaze is a PITA, put on in small patches and buff it out well, but the results are pretty impressive.  Also use Zymol car cleaner wax in a pinch too.

Interior leather surfaces and leather furniture get a treatment with Lexol every six months to keep it clean and free from cracks.

NB

CSI

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2010, 11:48 pm »
All good products. Tried most of them and they vary in the time and effort needed to get the job done. For quick and easy waxing you might try one of the Meguiars Quick Wax products (save the Instant Detailer for bird droppings). If you have the time and inclination, the more perfectionist products mentioned in this thread will yield great results.

Out here in CA we get droughts and water restrictions from time to time. You should know about the "One True Car Washing Method". This takes a little longer but your car will be cleaner than it ever was before. It uses only 2 gal of water and, if you do it right, you won't spill a single drop on the ground. You can even wash your car inside your carpeted garage which should keep the water police off your case.

1 standard rubber 2 gallon bucket
3 medium sized terry cloth towels (the full sized ones will be too unwieldy).

Fill the bucket with 2 gallons of clean water (DO NOT add soap). Dump in one of the towels. Pick it up and squeeze the water back into the bucket until the towel is still sopping wet but not dripping. Toss the towel up onto the roof of your car and wipe up all the dirt with the wet towel (you can even do this if you just drove through a mud puddle). ONLY DO 1/2 OF THE ROOF. You will do the entire other side of the car separately. Now take the second towel and wipe the roof as dry as you can. Then finish up the small beads with the third towel. You are now completely done with that section of the roof. Work on down the car using the same one, two, three method - dumping the dirty towel back into the bucket each time. I usually do roof, side windows, hood and half the windshield, etc. Work from the top down then repeat with the other side. Finish by doing the wheels last. When you are done you will have a bucket of very dirty water to pour around your trees, one very dirty towel, one slightly dirty towel, and one that is probably just moist and pretty clean. You will also have an amazingly clean car.

Like I said, it takes a little extra time but if you love your car you will love this method.

BTW, for more "normal" methods of washing/drying I stopped using chamois years ago when I discovered they tend to pull off all my carefully applied wax. Micro fiber towels seem OK though.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2010, 12:08 am »
I have owned my ride for almost 12 years. It has never been waxed.powerwashed.. nada.
I hose it off when it has a thick smarmy amount of sludge, no soap, no wax, no rubbing anything. just water from a hose.
No rust. I am in the rustbelt. indoor parking.
For whatever it is worth
I guess I fail at being a car person.

CSI

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2010, 01:31 am »
I have owned my ride for almost 12 years. It has never been waxed.powerwashed.. nada.
I hose it off when it has a thick smarmy amount of sludge, no soap, no wax, no rubbing anything. just water from a hose.
No rust. I am in the rustbelt. indoor parking.
For whatever it is worth
I guess I fail at being a car person.

Nah. You are the kind of car person you want to be. If you are OK with the way it looks, it is all good. The fact that you still have it after 12 years means you are enough of a car person to, well, keep it running for twelve years. Mine is pushing 17 (and 200,000 miles) and not only runs well, it still looks pretty damn good. To each his own. Peace.

Gopher

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2010, 02:04 am »
I suggest you check out autopia.org.  It is the auto detailing equivalent of AC and audiophillia.  Its quite interesting actually, people (myself included) compulsively buy cleaning supplies based on reviews, hype and flavors of the month.

They also have some very good instructional write ups and videos.  You don't have to go overboard, but spending a little time seeing what a thorough detailing entails can give you insight into what it might take to satisfy you with a simplified cleaning.