Fullrange 8 inch Tapered Pipe (David Weems)

Dawkus

Fullrange 8 inch Tapered Pipe (David Weems)
« on: 3 Jun 2010, 09:41 pm »
Hi, After reading a recent article in Audio Express about a full range auto speaker in a tapered pipe,(6 x 9) driver,and finding 2 tapered pipe designs by David Weems,a4inch full range and 6 1/2 inch full range diagrams,I did some adding to the dimentions and drew out a plan for a tapered pipe.Before I attempt the construction,does any one have any input on this subject.I would really want to know how it would effect bass performance using this type of enclosure once the right polyester filling was found by trial and error.Thanks all,(mark.korda@myfairpoint.net)

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Fullrange 8 inch Tapered Pipe (David Weems)
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2010, 04:06 am »
A classic voigt pipe usually suffers from a lot of ripple. Mass Loading the terminus and careful driver Zd (driver distance from closed end) can help alot.

What driver are you looking to use?

dave

Dawkus

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2010, 11:46 pm »
Hi Dave,what do you mean by ripple?Well I have a new pair of Vifa co-ax's 8 inch,but if the enclosures were what I wanted I would consider getting a pair of Fostec 8 inch co-ax's FE207E's,which I had before in a pair of 802 cabinets with a variovent.I gave those away to some girl I don't even really like anymore.By the way the Vifa's are 4 ohm,will that present a problem....thanks Dave.....Dawkus.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2010, 06:40 am »
A "standard" voigt pipe does not act as a very good low pass filter. This means that higher (unwanted) pipe harmonics get out and as they move in & out of phase you get undulations in the LF response -- up into the midrange.

A good voigt (variation) for the 207 is the Metronome. I don't know how well a "TL" suits the VIFA.If you want 207s better grab a pair before they are all gone.

dave

chrisby

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2010, 09:10 pm »
and for a vented enclosure of virtually any style -  Voigt pipe (classic or otherwise), BIB, Metronome, BVR etc., expecting to deliver full LF potential from the FE207E, (or the anticipated FE206En replacement)  I'd suggest you be prepared for a big box.

NB: none of the current or recently passed Fostex FE series are technically co-axial drivers (i.e. separate motor assemblies for independent cone/domes)

AFAIK, the only co-axial drivers Foster(X) ever produced were incorporated in pro series monitors 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2010, 09:04 pm »
Keep in mind that except for reflected sound waves coming out of the cabinet via the cone itself or the designed opening, the cabinet does very little to the overall sound above midbass levels.

In my highly biased opinion, transmission lines are the best solution for deep, musical bass in a reasonably sized cabinet.  They are more efficient than sealed, go deeper than ported or open baffles, offer a more sophisicated solution than tuned pipes, provide imaging that open/infinite baffles can't, and are much much smaller than comparable horns. 

Sealed/ported designs are mindlessly simple to design compared to lines, pipes, or horns.  Until the sentinel work of Augspurger and King, the trial and error approach was the only option for these other cabinet types.  Check out brinesacoustics.com as a good starting point.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2010, 09:53 pm »

In my highly biased opinion, transmission lines are the best solution for deep, musical bass in a reasonably sized cabinet.  ... a more sophisicated solution than tuned pipes, provide imaging that open/infinite baffles can't

??? A TL is a tuned pipe.

dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2010, 08:07 pm »
Semantics, sorry for the confusion.