What pre/pro?

Deftone

What pre/pro?
« on: 3 Jun 2010, 05:26 am »
What pre/pro should i go for if i have the choice besides Bryston SP2/3 for HT 5.1 set up with 2 channel by pass.Anyway i had already place an order for the 4B,BP26 and another 6B on the list.Just need a pre/pro to match the above component.

Deftone

Re: What pre/pro?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2010, 07:42 pm »
Any suggestions?

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2010, 07:59 pm »
Any suggestions?

If you need one NOW then the SP2.  If you can wait a bit the SP3 which is on its way.

KeithA

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2010, 05:24 pm »
What pre/pro should i go for if i have the choice besides Bryston SP2/3 for HT 5.1 set up with 2 channel by pass.Anyway i had already place an order for the 4B,BP26 and another 6B on the list.Just need a pre/pro to match the above component.

I notice you have ordered a BP-26. However, if you are considering a SP-2 or SP-3 (or any other processor for that matter), the BP-26 won't really work (in one system) as there is no unity gain bypass on the BP-26. However, the SP-2 or SP-3 preamp should be close enough that you don't need the BP-26. You can get a SP-2 or SP-1.7 (use a good Blu-ray player to feed it analogue) for HT and get another brand of preamp with a unity gain pass through. There are several preamps out there with a pass-through (Pass Labs comes to mind).

However, if you want to stick with Bryston ( :D), then you may be better off cancelling the BP-26 order and get a SP-2 or wait for the SP-3 and use the analogue preamp in those units. I will eventually get a new preamp with a pass-through as well to run the SP 1.7 for HT.

Keith

Deftone

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2010, 02:46 am »
I notice you have ordered a BP-26. However, if you are considering a SP-2 or SP-3 (or any other processor for that matter), the BP-26 won't really work (in one system) as there is no unity gain bypass on the BP-26. However, the SP-2 or SP-3 preamp should be close enough that you don't need the BP-26. You can get a SP-2 or SP-1.7 (use a good Blu-ray player to feed it analogue) for HT and get another brand of preamp with a unity gain pass through. There are several preamps out there with a pass-through (Pass Labs comes to mind).

However, if you want to stick with Bryston ( :D), then you may be better off cancelling the BP-26 order and get a SP-2 or wait for the SP-3 and use the analogue preamp in those units. I will eventually get a new preamp with a pass-through as well to run the SP 1.7 for HT.

Keith

Keith,i am getting the bp-26 strictly for 2 channel music listening and the pre/pro for HT

Deftone

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2010, 05:33 pm »
I am pretty sure there must be a way to connect the BP26 and the prre/pro(SP2/3).I am still trying to figure this out.May be someone and chime in.

KeithA

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2010, 08:17 pm »

Keith,i am getting the bp-26 strictly for 2 channel music listening and the pre/pro for HT

I think the problem is that the BP-26 does not have a 'Unity Gain' or "Home Theater Bypass" setting. The SP2 or SP1.7 has a 'BP-25 equivalent' preamp in there, so it would be a little redundant (not counting if anyone feels that the BP-26 outperforms the preamp in the SP2/SP1.7).

I was going to get a Pass Labs preamp in December and run the SP1.7 through its unity gain inputs. However, I kept buying new guitars and guitar amps so the Pass Labs got deferred :wink:

The BP-26 is not designed for this purpose, IIRC. The main reason is that Bryston builds a quality preamp in its processors.

Perhaps James can chime in...but I don't think there's a 'proper' way to use a BP-26 & SP-2/1.7 in the manner you want (I was looking to do the same thing a couple years back).

Cheers

Keith

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm »
I tried my Arcam Av-8 prepro(preouts to the 26's(from tape input)as the manual states.
It does give the signal,but the higher the vol on the 26 the louder the hum.I thought I could run my R+L mains of my AV-8 to the 26(Nope).
I'm hoping if the 3.0 is just as good(sound quality)as the 26,probably not as it's not a dedicated pre and if
it was, the 26 might not be a top pre as you could have both with the 3.0.
I think I will end up with(hopefully) the 3.0(if the 2 channel is up with the 26)if not I'll have to find a pre with
a hometheatre pass thru :(..
Either good as the 26 or better,to early to jump ship,sides I don't swim that great.

Deftone

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2010, 07:03 am »

Will this work with the 26 if i use a passive RCA jack input/output switch.

Connect the front left and right preamp outputs of the pre/processor to the first input of the
DBswitch, an audio-only analog stereo preamp to the second input of the DB switch, and an upsampling DAC to the third input. The output of the switch is connected to the input of the power amp.

For phono and analog tape,  use the analog preamp. The pre/processor can be turned off, so it's digital audio and video circuits do not affect the audio that is being played by the analog preamp.

For CD listening, an upsampling DAC with its own volume control sends its analog output through stereo RCA cables, into the passive switch, and out of the switch through a second set of RCA cables taking the signal directly into your amp and speakers.

SHV

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2010, 11:39 pm »
I am pretty sure there must be a way to connect the BP26 and the prre/pro(SP2/3).I am still trying to figure this out.May be someone and chime in.

I had the same question..would a 4 x1 balanced audio switch work....ie. B26 and SP2/3 (L& R) switched to my 7Bs

Steve

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2010, 11:43 pm »
This one's for James...

Deftone

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:27 pm »
Yep,James should be able to chime in and correct me if i am wrong.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:18 pm »
Hi Folks,

It would work but - the quality of the switch would then be an issue.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:30 pm »
The only way you can use a processor with the BP26 is to connect the processors left and right outputs to a high level input on the BP26 .. say the Tape Ins left and right... then set the volume control of the BP26 to match the outputs levels from the center and surround channels of your processor using a sound pressure level meter.

Put a small mark above the volume control of the BP26 where the front left and right speaker levels match the processors center and surround channels volume.

Then when you select Tape-In and set the volume control of the BP26 to the fixed position you would have a surround setup and the master volume to every channel would be controlled by the volume control on your processor.

james

werd

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:50 pm »
The only way you can use a processor with the BP26 is to connect the processors left and right outputs to a high level input on the BP26 .. say the Tape Ins left and right... then set the volume control of the BP26 to match the outputs levels from the center and surround channels of your processor using a sound pressure level meter.

Put a small mark above the volume control of the BP26 where the front left and right speaker levels match the processors center and surround channels volume.

Then when you select Tape-In and set the volume control of the BP26 to the fixed position you would have a surround setup and the master volume to every channel would be controlled by the volume control on your processor.

james

Or you can get a BP26 and two other bp25's and run them all out of the same mps2. (gives you 6 channels)
The volume control will work on all pre amps at the same time.

When i had my bp25/mps2 i wanted to get another bp25 and go dual mono with it..
have one bp25 for each channel and see how that worked. geeky i know....

drummermitchell

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:00 pm »
We'll my 26 must have a problem with the from tape loop.
I ran rca's from the Av-8's pre out to the from tape,I do get sound(even at low vol.,but as I increase vol,
there is a hum that goes up with the 26 vol.At high noon,you can't enjoy a movie.
26 by itself cd's ect(dead quiet)Arcam with the 28s(dead quiet)only when I go from the 8's preout to: from tape on 26 do I have major hum :scratch:it does state to connect processor from tape input on 26.
If something was up with the Av-8,I would have heard it with the cables,28s ect.
Perhaps my tape loop is defective.

There was someone else on here with the same problem

werd

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:01 pm »
try throwing some rca plugs into your tape monitor outs....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:16 pm »
We'll my 26 must have a problem with the from tape loop.
I ran rca's from the Av-8's pre out to the from tape,I do get sound(even at low vol.,but as I increase vol,
there is a hum that goes up with the 26 vol.At high noon,you can't enjoy a movie.
26 by itself cd's ect(dead quiet)Arcam with the 28s(dead quiet)only when I go from the 8's preout to: from tape on 26 do I have major hum :scratch:it does state to connect processor from tape input on 26.
If something was up with the Av-8,I would have heard it with the cables,28s ect.
Perhaps my tape loop is defective.

There was someone else on here with the same problem

Might be the 'grounds' on the Arcam and the BP26 at looping causing 60 cycle hum?

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jul 2010, 12:02 am »
Maybe I'll try a male plug adapter(and remove the ground pin) and connect it on the pc for the Arcam and see what happens.
It's such a pain moving those racks,like the wifey says;I'M GONNA BUY YOU A NICE RADIO :o.

Napalm

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jul 2010, 12:38 am »
like the wifey says;I'M GONNA BUY YOU A NICE RADIO

Make that a Walkman with FM radio for enhanced privacy.

Nap.  :jester: