Farewell to the Greatest baseball player, ever! (IMHO) Retire and live your JR.

Sonny

Ken Griffey Jr. Retires today from the M's.  I grew up watching him hit home runs and make great catches!  I am sad but happy that it was his decision!

Farewell Jr.!

Here's the official Statement:
Here's the official statement from Griffey as released by the team:

"I've come to a decision today to retire from Major League Baseball as an active player.

This has been on my mind recently, but it's not an easy decision to come by. I am
    extremely thankful for the opportunity to have played Major League Baseball for so long
    and thankful for all of the friendships I have made, while also being proud of my
    accomplishments.

I'd like to thank my family for all of the sacrifices they have made all of these years for
    me. I'd like to thank the Seattle Mariners organization for allowing me to finish my
    playing career where it started. I look forward to a continued, meaningful relationship
    with them for many years to come.

While I feel I am still able to make a contribution on the field, and nobody in the
    Mariners front office has asked me to retire, I told the Mariners when I met with them
    prior to the 2009 season and was invited back, that I will never allow myself to become a
    distraction. I feel that without enough occasional starts to be sharper coming off the
    bench, my continued presence as a player would be an unfair distraction to my
    teammates, and their success as team is what the ultimate goal should be.

My hope is that my teammates can focus on baseball and win a championship for
    themselves and for the great fans of Seattle, who so very much deserve one. Thanks to
    all of you for welcoming me back, and thanks again to everyone over the years who has
    played a part in the success of my career."

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Griffey was indeed a special player and a pleasure to watch (even though he tortured the Yankees).  From the time he came up, he was a five tool player with a great attitude, a great swing, and a great love for the game.

As good as his stats are, he is going to fall into that Mickey Mantle type category of never fully realizing his true potential due to injuries.

Obviously, a first ballot Hall of Famer.

George