When transients attack!

jgubman

When transients attack!
« on: 13 Feb 2004, 02:46 am »
Was just casually listening to a CD I haven't put in the player in years and was so blown away I had to make a short post.

I write this mainly because I remember an old thread that questioned the RM-40s' ability w/ transients. Well, track 6, "Do What You Like" on Blind Faith's album should pretty well answer that. I'm not a big Ginger Baker fan, but about 9 minutes into the song, Baker launches into an extended drum solo that made me sit up and take notice. Really, really nice.

Gotta go find in-a-gadda-da-vida next...

Q

When transients attack!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2004, 04:35 pm »
What got me was an old recording of Santana live and the bongos and other percussion...it was not the macrodynamics that floored me, it was the microdynamics of the percussion, and how it left everything else in the music alone...i guess you call it resolution..or speed.

I'm still waiting however, to get that level of macrodynamics of feeling the bass strings vibrate on a high bass note, or a tom drum attack and decay properly...Ive only ever heard this done well on about 2 speakers ever...maybe you get it with your RM40...I wish I heard it during my auditions.  I can also tell you the new Von Schweikert gen 4 I heard the other day did not come close to it.

Q

When transients attack!
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2004, 04:37 pm »
What got me was an old recording of Santana live and the bongos and other percussion...it was not the macrodynamics that floored me, it was the microdynamics of the percussion, and how it left everything else in the music alone...i guess you call it resolution..or speed.

I'm still waiting however, to get that level of macrodynamics of feeling the bass strings vibrate on a high bass note, or a tom drum attack and decay properly...Ive only ever heard this done well on about 2 speakers ever...maybe you get it with your RM40...I wish I heard it during my auditions.  I can also tell you the new Von Schweikert gen 4 I heard the other day did not come close to it.  Nor did the Martin Logan Ascent.