Speaker Stands

K Shep

Speaker Stands
« on: 2 Jun 2010, 05:04 pm »
I'm trying out my first pair of monitor speakers.  Usher Be-718's.  I own an old pair of speaker stands that are made from masonite, they position the speakers at the proper level but as I've found out thats about all they do.  To my surprise investing in a good pair of stands made an audible difference in my room. 

Why does a solid base make such a big difference?

K Shep

Re: Speaker Stands
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2010, 06:20 pm »
I know its actually a silly question - vibration, stability and decoupling from the floor improve the sound quality.

I have a sub in transit, headed my way.  I am utilizing my Polk HT sub for now and crossing over at around 80Hz using a Behringer CX-2310.  Sounds great but I'm looking for tips and insight.

I'm new to the sub integration and monitors, please give me some feedback on your experience.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2010, 03:13 am »
Like many others I've jumped on the multiple sub concept/bandwagon. A single sub is hard to integrate properly. In fact, I never like the sat/sub concept. I could always hear the sub, unless it was run so low that it was essentially useless.

Lot's of post about this that can explain the theory better than me.

I'm now running a pair of GR/Rythmik OB subs that are essentially the woofers of my Merlin monitors, more than subs in the traditional sense.(I'm running them up around 80hz, which would be crazy w/ a single sub.)

An old Mirage sub chugs away quietly in a corner helping to smooth things out and make it blend better.

I think I now have a speaker system that can compete with many very expensive fullrange floorstanders.

I've not heard them, but that Usher has a very good reputation. I think you have the makings of a nice system going.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2010, 04:09 am »
K Shep are you finding the Ushers to be more directional, focused or open? Every monitor I ever used was pretty exact as far as the sweet spot goes, narrow I guess is the right term, its not a bad thing just my experience with studio monitors and nearfields. They are sweet looking, did the Revels move on down the road or just downstairs???