(How) Do you cull your projects?

JohnR

(How) Do you cull your projects?
« on: 1 Jun 2010, 11:24 am »
I assume I'm not the only one who periodically has to take a look and say "Hm... really, honestly, I'm not likely to build THAT one in the next however-many years"... How do you go about deciding how to proceed and get something interesting done in the short term? Do you then sell a bunch of stuff, or shelve it in the hope of getting back to it later? Just curious... a point for discussion... ;)

Dan Banquer

Re: (How) Do you cull your projects?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2010, 11:46 am »
If I am convinced I need it, then it will happen in relatively short order. If not, then it doesn't happen.
d.b.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2010, 12:05 pm »
If the parts are available and do not have to be purchased things get done much sooner. If there are allot of spare parts around they usually get converted into something usable.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2010, 12:32 pm »
This was really intended as a discussion point for DIYers... thanks though... (I thought the Lab was non-commercial - ?)

Dan Banquer

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2010, 12:55 pm »
This was really intended as a discussion point for DIYers... thanks though... (I thought the Lab was non-commercial - ?)
I thought I would add my 2 cents as I have not been a manufacturer for over 4 years, and nor do I plan on starting up again.
BTW: Most small manufacturers in audio are pretty hard core hobbyists that turn their hobby into a small business.
d.b.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2010, 01:03 pm »
I do build a considerable amount of equipment for myself and that can be considered a hobby. Expenditure has allot to do with what gets done and what does not. I tend to be a pack rat which keeps project prices low. The trick is not to buy pure junk, things that you don't know what they're for, etc..

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2010, 01:06 pm »
Still looking for thoughts from like-minded DIYers... should I just try another forum?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2010, 01:14 pm »
I never purchase something unless I'm going to get it done right away.  I've learned my lesson on that.   

I also have to really look at my interest meter...

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2010, 01:18 pm »
I have a list in my head.  I also usually have a "in progress" project but sometimes I have two depending on parts I have.  I have sold off parts to a project but I have never got too deep money wise into a project that I ditched.  Sometimes it hard being realistic.  I did sell off about 10yrs worth of boards a few months ago.  That was nice.  I guess I did not answer your question but I feel ya. 

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2010, 01:33 pm »
I did sell off about 10yrs worth of boards a few months ago.

Now we're talkin'. Anything but the current project? (Really??)

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2010, 01:49 pm »
10 years worth of projects but it was still tough.  I do have a few that are not on the radar but I am holding on to for "later".  One is a First Watt F5 parts and boards.  I am trying to stop the compulisve parts buying and focus.  I will tell you how it works out.   :roll:
Right now i am doing good.  If something is on the list and a hard to source part comes up I will grab it.  Otherwise I have been pretty good at waiting.   

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2010, 02:11 pm »
I have a huge to-do list that seems to not be getting any smaller.  I amassed quite a lot of tubes and iron that haven't been put to use.   Now I only buy tubes for gear that is already done. 

I haven't yet sold off parts for a project.  Actually, that isn't true.  I've sold a lot of drivers for projects I decided against.  I still have way too many drivers sitting in my basement gathering dust. 

My basement is out of control.  There just isn't more room, so pruning has to take place.  I put myself on hold for more drivers until I finish with the projects in progress.

Yesterday, I did do some more work on my rack (finishing the shelves) and puttied my Abbey-clone speakers in prep for primer.  However, lately I've been going out every weekend and haven't done much on any project.

jules

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2010, 07:58 am »
No, excruciatingly persistent. I've never sold anything I've made and it's all still being used. Somehow it ties in with not aspiring to own the next big thing and saves me heaps of money.

3 projects underway at the moment though the GFC has slowed my rate of purchasing potential new things.

Do people buy DIY stuff anyway?

jules

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2010, 11:09 am »
This is a great question and it tries to explain the psychosis that some diy'ers like myself endure day in and day out. BUT...it's a very enjoyable psychosis mind you. :icon_twisted:

Like many others I got into this hobby because it was the cheapest way to achieve sonic splendor and I was a poor college student. Now I've gathered the skills, and I have a dispensable income (!), but the itch to build has never left me. However, other priorities have crept up such as family, work, etc...which can and frequently takes precedence so projects can be shelved for a while.

I, like JoshK, have a ton of things in the 'workshop' part of my basement. Of late, I've made it a policy that I will *not* procure parts for the next project until the present one is complete or very near completion. And very near completion is defined as I've got everything together including chassis all drilled out, the wood all cut up and finished, etc...not just the ptp wiring or circuit board. Something like that can just sit there for years.

I build what I need most of the time. But sometimes, my nervosa catches up with me and I just want to try it out. For the most part, those projects go back in the rear and I, like stsfan, have a list of priority projects in my head. Some examples for me are: Aikido 6SN7 preamp, F5, F4, and Aleph 30.

I've sold projects from time to time, and get tons of offers actually on a weekly basis. It all depends on if there is a different project that will still satisfy the job or if its clearly better. One recent example is my sale of my B1 boards (fully built) along with Peter Daniel PS and Paul Hynes Shunt regulator. All high quality stuff. I sold it cause I remembered that there was a differential 6N6P preamplifier design by Kevin Carter that I had that should get completed and is superior to the B1 in design, but is also more expensive. I'm certainly not in the business of manufacturing, as my day job is too enjoyable and keeps me plenty busy. So projects are left for the weekends or long weekends.

It's a complete gas I tell you :wink:,

Anand.

Project recently completed: Fully upgraded crossover for my Abbeys in outboard enclosures.

Project currently built and undergoing testing: Poseidon's Voice Sabre 32 digital analog converter.

Next project in cue: 6N6P differential preamplifier by Kevin Carter.

sts9fan

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jun 2010, 12:38 pm »
Trying to keep up with what is cool and new also drives me crazy.  I think I have stopped that cycle.  I know that a Pass project from last year is still gonna be good even though there is a new one.  I do not know how some of these guys pump out the projects. 

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:41 pm »
Do people buy DIY stuff anyway?

Hi Jules, I don't think I would ever sell any of my completed projects - by then the worry is all over :D

How's the class A project coming along?

Of late, I've made it a policy that I will *not* procure parts for the next project until the present one is complete or very near completion

For me at this point, it's deciding what not to depart ways with...

I know that a Pass project from last year is still gonna be good even though there is a new one.

I think one of my keepers is gonna be an over-ambitious amp I started about ten years ago. So what if a new design is out since? If it was great 10 years ago, it's gonna be great now (or in two years time.......)

sts9fan

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:57 pm »
If it was great 10 years ago, it's gonna be great now (or in two years time.......)

I totally agree but it can still be hard.  I am glad to hear you have projects going on that long.  i thought my 2 year ones were bad. 

jules

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2010, 04:00 pm »
Hi Jules, I don't think I would ever sell any of my completed projects - by then the worry is all over :D

Ah yes John, "surplus to needs". I've got a bit of a weakness for this one:

I still have way too many drivers sitting in my basement gathering dust. 

My basement is out of control.  There just isn't more room, so pruning has to take place.  I put myself on hold for more drivers until I finish with the projects in progress.

Drivers can be tempting but sort of frustrating at the same time. They're so imperfect  :wink:

The Class A is going well. I'm in the middle of doing a CAD design for a box to hold the 5 trafos.

jules 

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jun 2010, 12:45 pm »
I totally agree but it can still be hard.  I am glad to hear you have projects going on that long.  i thought my 2 year ones were bad.

I'm not sure I'd be glad about it. It's more like... an archeological dig.