locking ring orietation for piccolo?

harryf

locking ring orietation for piccolo?
« on: 1 Jun 2010, 04:27 am »
I need some help as i have tried a few different thing's.I can't find the proper place to set the locking ring's on my piccolo.I have gotten it so it will turn off with 3 option's for gain.I can't however get the locking pin set for the loading.When i turn that my piccolo act's funny like it really change's the sound.Much more than before.So could someone post a pic or read off what number your piccolo is set at?The knob's have number's under the locking ring.Thanks!

hagtech

Re: locking ring orietation for piccolo?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2010, 08:01 am »
The number refers to the count of positions.  For loading, set the locking ring at "6".

jh

harryf

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2010, 01:36 pm »
Ok i did that but still have a problem.
First off i used to have a perfectly working piccolo.
I then after about a year used a razor saw to cut the shaft's.While mounted.I then got a perfectly messed up piccolo.I wasent rough either.
So i buy two new switich's and use the top's.
Well problem gone.
This time i used a dremel tool and cut off wheel.It cut the shaft like butter.
I have a piccolo with the same problem?
Both knob's seem to just control three position's of volume all the way around the shaft.I tested every possible locking ring possiblity.
So now i have two volume control's,no loading and it sound's bad to boot!
It hollow sounding and compressed up top.
So any idea's?
I do not want to use those same switch's if i have to replace them.They are cheap as hell and give nothing but problem's.
Does anyone have another option that could be mounted to the front panel of a aluminum chassis then wires run to the board?
Does anyone have a idea of what to change with what i have now?
The two switch's have a slight difference.One had four connection's inside.One has three.I swaped both back and forth and no difference.Any idea's?

harryf

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2010, 02:11 pm »
ok fixed it.I'm not really sure what i did but i think i can tell you what was wrong.The internal prong's/pin's must have a tolerance.I evened them up with the end of my screwdriver.Don't do this!leave them alone.
I had to play with the loading knob sort of seting it on the edge of the 0 loading i needed and suddenly everthing worked as it needed to.
So either i put the top's back on the wrong switch or fooled around with those internal prong's/pin's to mess the switch up.Maybe it was a combination of both.
Anyways it work's now.

Swarkybubble

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2010, 07:13 pm »
Because I use the Bugle power supply into my Piccolo, I don´t need the on/off and because I don´t intend using any other cartridge but my Linn Troika, my gain switch has a jumper and gain is fixed at 26dB. At present I am using the load impedance  switch to choose between load resistors of the same value (470R) but of different makes, PRP, Schinkoh etc. When I decide on the definitive resistor I hope to take the gain switch out of the equation too.

analog97

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2010, 11:51 pm »
Swarky,

At present I am using the load impedance  switch to choose between load resistors of the same value (470R) but of different makes, PRP, Schinkoh etc. When I decide on the definitive resistor I hope to take the gain switch out of the equation too.

This is a very interesting experiment!  The most difficult part of determining if a certain "tweek" actually makes an audible difference, IMHO, is the time lag between listening to A vs B.   In your experiment, you will be able to compare very quickly.  I am intrigued by your post and wonder if you are comparing any inexpensive resistors in the test, e.g. Yageo.   Please post your impressions.  Good luck.   :thumb:

Swarkybubble

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2010, 08:27 am »
Hi,
I´m not the most analytical of listeners and tend to go by gut feeling. All I can say at present is that the difference between my original PRPs and the Schinkohs in the load impedance slots was really quite shocking. I haven´t gone back to listening to the PRPs since then as time is tight. I suppose the fact that most of the resistors in my Piccolo are PRPs may have lead to a concentration of "defects" of the marque along with their inherent "qualities" which were counterbalanced to some extent by the different characteristics (whichever they may be) of the Shinkohs but all of a sudden detail improved (or at least I became aware of lots of micro-information that I was not aware of before. Having first heard the battery operated "standard" Piccolo and now mine with the Bugle P/S, Black gates etc. a la tubesforever, I don´t know if there are 2 Piccolos  that sound identical but there is no doubt in my mind that a systematic, analytical approach would allow someone to tailor his sound to suit his system, speakers and room and even the music he listens to but the most I aspire to at present is to try some matched 0,01% Vishay nudes when I have time.