Transport for BDA-1

larevoj

Transport for BDA-1
« on: 31 May 2010, 01:56 pm »
Which transport would best match the BDA-1 & and Bryston electronics? The BCD-1 seems like an obvious choice but for the same price you can perhaps get a better transport with a dedicated function of retrieving digital data from the CDs?   :scratch:

Napalm

Re: Transport for BDA-1
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2010, 01:59 pm »
Now that's a good question..... you'll want something with very stable clock and good CD reading/error correcting abilities. Some units will read about anything w/o errors, some others will stumble at the smallest dust speck.

:scratch: Nap

Napalm

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2010, 02:00 pm »
Oh, I know the answer...

The BDP-1 of course!!!!!!! Just rip'em CDs first!!!!

Nap. 

:tempted:

werd

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2010, 02:10 pm »
Use anything but a lousy cheap dvd player. Just because it has a digital out doesnt mean it has acceptable performance. The transport drives the whole sound so its the most important part.

larevoj

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2010, 02:57 pm »
Actually a Transport seems to be a thing of the past?? I have rip all my CDs in AIFF and play them through my MacMini using the BDA-1. These days I rarely use my CDP...my next sensible upgrade would likely be a BDP.

There was (or maybe still is?) a time separate Transport & DA was/is considered the best way to retrieve music out of CDs. The popularity of CD may suffer due to availability high connection speed for high resolution downloads but I doubt it is going to disappear...

Meanwhile I suppose my MacMini or CDP can operate satisfactorily as a transport. 

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2010, 03:00 pm »
I have a bunch of them hooked to it now and in the past several months.  I like my Marantz DV9600 (which is now in the basement and a transport for another DAC) and my modded Oppo BDP-83 best.  I also like my Sony 2000ES CD/SACD changer.  The nice thing about the Oppo is it passes full bandwidth on DVD-A out of the coax digital out.

larevoj

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2010, 03:11 pm »
I have a bunch of them hooked to it now and in the past several months.  I like my Marantz DV9600 (which is now in the basement and a transport for another DAC) and my modded Oppo BDP-83 best.  I also like my Sony 2000ES CD/SACD changer.  The nice thing about the Oppo is it passes full bandwidth on DVD-A out of the coax digital out.

Phil, are you referring to the link below on the modded Oppo BDP-83? Hhmmmm.... :idea:

http://www.audiocominternational.com/product_info.php?products_id=112&osCsid=27rrpcqhb0d2is9en8o6e72rk0

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2010, 05:03 pm »
I had Modwright do mine.  He has a forum on Audio Circle. I have enought hi-rez material that I wanted something better than the DV9600 but also don't have so much vs. CD or perhaps eventual downloads that I wanted the BDA-1 (I started with the BCD-1 CD player which I sold and then bought the DAC mildly used - like 3 weeks).

KeithA

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2010, 12:01 am »
Logitech Transporter, of course  :wink:

Keith

Napalm

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2010, 12:07 am »
 :slap:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2010, 01:58 am »
I use a mid range Sony DVD player I bought around 2000 as a transport and I've wondered if adding a better transport would be beneficial to my CD's and listening experience.  My DAC is a second generation Bel Canto that preceded their Model 2.  It's designation is a 1.1 and it suits me and my system purty good.  A friend inserted his EMM Labs DAC for a day and it seemed to reveal more high frequency information and harmonic complexity and a wider, tho not as deep, stage.  Images were less 3D, too.  Hard to believe, I know.  Emotionally, and in my system, I preferred the sound my DAC delivered.

So, back to the transport.  Any thoughts on what I might gain by substituting a stock Oppo or other DVD player, my Bel Canto upsamples, under $400.00?  I'll answer any questions if that would help.  Thanks.