Linux distro tests

JohnR

Linux distro tests
« on: 12 Feb 2004, 12:38 pm »
I'm starting the process of testing a few Linux distros, which I'll report on here. I'm have two goals, which might end up in choosing two different distros, but that's fine:

1. Server and development use. I want something that's reasonably light for use as a web server and development machine. That means compiles from source, I hate package systems like RPM.

2. Laptop and desktop use. For this system, smart detection of hardware like PCMCIA wireless cards and sound cards is important. With any luck, success here will mean I can ditch Windoze forever.

Okey dokey...

JohnR

Vector Linux
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2004, 12:45 pm »
First off the mark is Vector Linux. Billed as a smaller and lighter Slackware, comes on one CD.

Installation. The disk partitioning programs are not exactly intuitive. I actually went back to Windoze to create the partitions I wanted for Linux. (I already had one partition on the disk with Windows installed on it. I created three more for Linux use and testing.) Back in the Vector Linux install program, I selected two partitions to be Linux format and one to be the Linux swap partition. To do so, I had to find the Linux codes from a list of about 100 partition types.

The installation went OK. The program wasn't smart enough to tell me if I needed SCSI drivers, so I guessed not. In the midst of dire warnings about how the Linux boot loader could fry my disk if not installed correctly, I elected to not install it. So when I rebooted... straight back into Windows. O... K....

Scores:

User-friendly install process: 0
Detection of my laptop's PCMCIA wireless card: 0

Stay tuned...

Brad

Linux distro tests
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2004, 02:59 pm »
FreeBSD!!

brj

Linux distro tests
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2004, 03:16 pm »
Quote from: Brad
FreeBSD!!

That would be a good option for a server, no doubt.  I'd be a little more cautious using it for a desktop/laptop system, however, mostly due to difficulty in finding various hardware drivers for some of the laptop hardware.  If your hardware is fully supported, and it runs your required apps, this is definitely worth pursuing.  You could expand the search into some of the other BSD's as well (OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.).

For yet another variation on FreeBSD, there is always Mac OS X.  The DarwinPorts project just passed 1000 ported BSD applications this week.  Add to that the Linux application crossovers (compliments of FINK, etc.), the consistant (usually admired) GUI, included development environment and the availability of MS Office, etc. if needed, and it really does become a viable option. You'd be amazed at the number Powerbooks that are seen at Linux oriented conferences, and their new G5 Xserves are really potent servers (I have great respect for the IBM Power4 derived PowerPC 970 processor, and look forward to the Power5 derived chips).

Just another thought....

-Brian

JohnR

Linux distro tests
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2004, 04:03 pm »
Macintosh?!! Now there's a concept :o

Hadn't thought about BSD, I should try it. This article here is (kinda) interesting:

http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

He mentions Gentoo Linux a couple times, which is my next test.

Brad

Linux distro tests
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2004, 05:54 pm »
Missed the laptop note at the beginning.
I'd stay away from 'BSD on a laptop.

As an iBook owner, I'm a little biased to the Mac portable platform though.... :wink:

Do you already have the laptop?
Dell/IBM offer Linux support on several of their laptop models.

Phat Phreddy

• http://www.PhatPhreddy.net
Linux distro tests
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2004, 05:16 am »
Using this link and coupon code you can get Lindows 4.5 Dev edition for free...

http://www.nvu.com/landing_page.html

JohnR

Linux distro tests
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2004, 12:12 pm »
Linux is already free...

Didn't get to do any more installs this weekend, had some real work to do (still going :-( ). I did get a free computer though! Will try giving Vector a reprieve on a regular box.

JohnR

Mandrake Install results
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2004, 12:13 pm »
My Mandrake CDs (three in the distro) came in the post today. All Linux distros are technically free, all you have to do is download the CD images, burn them, and then install. However, to save the hassle, I am buying distro CDs for 7 underdollars each (about $5 US). ie Mandrake cost me about $16 US with postage.

OK, so I installed Mandrake on my laptop. Since I had already partitioned the disk earlier, I didn't have to do that here. Mandrake found the partitions and offered me a choice of which to install itself on. It was straightforward so I expect the partitioning would be simple enough if that was necessary. I recall there was also an option to split off a Linux partition from your single Windoze partition if that's what you have already, altho I haven't tested it to know it works.

Mandrake offered me a choice of a range of packages, divided into "Workstation" and "Server" categories. Since this is my laptop, I chose all the Workstation packages and none of the Server ones. I also chose the default desktop, KDE, not because I like it but because it seems to be the default these days.

Installation was straightforward and took about twenty (?) minutes. It found my PCMCIA immediately. Towards the end was a "summary" screen which had a couple things apparently not quite configured. I clicked on the graphics configuration button to configure the laptop's graphics for 1024x768. I then plugged in my Epson USB inkjet and clicked on the printer configuration button, and Mandrake figured it out without any drama, although I had to choose the exact Epson printer model for it. I clicked on the wireless configuration button and chose the default settings, and was connected to the network.

The Linux boot loader was installed by default, which enabled me to choose between Windoze and Mandrake on startup. No drama there.

There are still some things in Linux installs that might be a bit mystifying to a newbie. Some folks might wonder what a "root password" is, for example. Still, I've been bamboozled by Windoze installs enough times, so overall I'd say it's about the same.

Anyway, this is written from the Mandrake install on my Laptop. Obviously I haven't been using it for long but from my initial impressions I'd certainly recommend this distro if you're interested in giving Linux a try. For a mail client, I'd suggest downloading Mozilla Thunderbird from mozilla.org. I'll be giving the OpenOffice applications a go over the next few days, for my work if I can replace Powerpunt I'm pretty much there.

JohnR

Linux distro tests
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2004, 12:20 pm »
Quote from: Brad
Do you already have the laptop?

Yes, they run at the frightening clock speeds of 450 and 500 Mhz! I had to replace one of the drives recently but I think there's more life in them yet :-)

Ferdi

Linux distro tests
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2004, 04:03 pm »
Interesting topic!

I run Mandrake 9.2 on a "Ferdi Special Duron 850" and to the extent I do productive work with it, have used OOo and Ximian Evolution for office applications and mail and Mozilla and Konquerer for browsing.

Works well!

It did screw up an install to a Compaq PII-350 but I blame the Compaq.

:-))

Tonto Yoder

Linux distro tests
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2004, 04:31 pm »
Thought I might try out a Linux OS just out of frustration with Windows.
Tried an eBay seller and got a 5 CD set of Suse Linux 9.0 pro for reasonably cheap (I had seen the advice on Linux websites that a newbie probably should use CD's rather than downloads, so I went that route)
I never DID get Suse to work as the CD's froze up on a couple discs (while getting updates), couldn't log in, but the Suse screen came up at each startup, complicating use of Windows.  Ended up with big headaches as I tried re-installing Windows just to get rid of Linux, screwed up various settings, lost internet use and blood pressure went up to dangerous levels.

Much of the problem is my relative ignorance re: computers, but some of the problem I think was lack of access to KDE base programs (KDM specifically deals with log-in etc.)---I could find the relevant pages on the web, but the info just wouldn't download (at least for me).

I decided I was over my head with Suse 9.0, so I went with what was described as Linux for Dummies--
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
It's a single CD that offers a taste of Linux without actually installing it on the computer--it boots from the CD each time you want to use it.  Maybe if I get this kindergarten Linux to work, I'll graduate to a real Linux down the road???  Feels like I should use a mouse shaped like Barney the Dinosaur and a keyboard with Bert & Ernie/ Big Bird on it since the experience made me realize I'm a computer-baby! :D

Tonto Yoder

Linux distro tests
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2004, 11:19 am »
I asked the gent from whom I bought my Knoppix which Linux I should upgrade to (once I got my feet wet with Knoppix). His reply was
"If you are just starting out with Linux I would suggest Fedora or Mandrake.
They are the most user friendly for the beginner and each one relies on a
wizard based installation process. Suse, Debian, Slackware, and the other
flavors can be very challenging for someone just starting out, especially if
there are hardware issues that come up.

Knoppix will get you use to the look and feel of Linux and should not
present much of a technical challenge. This new CD had the latest 2.4.26
kernel and the option to boot into the new 2.6.5 kernel. It also has the
latest KDE desktop environment and once you learn your way around it I think
you will find it as easy to use as any Windoze flavor you might be used to."

gitarretyp

Linux distro tests
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2004, 04:31 pm »
If you are just getting started with linux, i would second the recommendation for fedora or mandrake. I started with mandrake several years ago and found it pretty easy to install and use. Knoppix (or gnoppix...same distro but defaults to gnome rather than kde. window manager and desktop managers are another area of linux that you'll need to explore...i started on gnome, migrated to fluxbox and have settled on kahakai for now.) is a great distro to test the linux waters and as a rescue disc if you ever have any problems. It can also be handy if you need access to linux software on someone else's windows only  box.

After you become comfortable with linux, i would recommend experimenting with different distros. I've been running gentoo for quite a while and highly recommend it if you have a relatively fast machine (it's source based) and like editting everything by hand. It's probably one of the more advanced distros as far as user friendliness but the support forums for gentoo are much better than any distro i have ever seen.