Subwoofer integration for 2-channel music.

TJHUB

Subwoofer integration for 2-channel music.
« on: 28 May 2010, 03:50 pm »
I used to have a preamp with analog bass management that allowed me to integrate my subwoofer for music and home theater.  I really liked the flexibility and it all worked very well.  However, about 7 months ago, I changed to a preamp that does not have analog bass management.  Now I’m looking for a solution.

My new preamp has dual volume controlled outputs.  I am currently running my sub for music by using its internal low-pass filter and parametric EQ.  This works PERFECTLY.  The problem is that I also run full-range speakers that have a rather large bass peak at 36Hz created by my room.  There is no way for me to deal with this other than using my EQ’d sub.  What I need is a way to high-pass filter my main speakers at 60-80Hz with a steep slope to keep them out of that 36Hz region as much as possible.

Are there any good solutions out there that won’t hurt sound quality at all and don’t cost thousands of dollars?  I’m looking for ideas that possibly aren't digital to avoid that A/D-D/A conversion.

Thanks.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Subwoofer integration for 2-channel music.
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2010, 03:58 pm »
I would really take a look at this http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_elite_pillar.html

Maybe Bryan will chime in here as well.

TJHUB

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2010, 04:07 pm »
I would really take a look at this http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_elite_pillar.html

Maybe Bryan will chime in here as well.

I posted this issue a while back in the Acoustic forum and the only viable response I got was to look into a custom Helmholtz resonator.  I did look into it, but it didn't look fun.  Maybe I should try...

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2010, 04:47 pm »
You can either use a passive, speaker level xover or you can look into an active high pass only xover if you want to continue to use the xover on your sub for that portion.

Check out Marchand.  If you can DIY, they have the board and frequency module for $46.  Just supply connectors, power supply, and case. 

http://www.marchandelec.com/xm1.html

For something more complete, you can check this one out. 

http://www.marchandelec.com/xm44.html 

The one you'd actually want is the XM44-1AA I believe.  Can be either high pass or low pass and you pick the frequency.  A bit more though at $800.

Bryan

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2010, 05:07 pm »
and there I was selling acoustic treatments.   :duh:

Another option may be the http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits

Just a thought...

The Marchand looks pretty nice.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2010, 05:33 pm »
Well, a resonator would likely do the trick too if properly tuned and placed in the room without the need for instrusion into the music reproduction chain.  Not like I have a dog in the fight since we don't build Helmholz resonators.  I just offered the xover option since the OP said he really didn't want to go with a treatment to try to solve the problem.

Bryan

TJHUB

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2010, 06:02 pm »
Well, a resonator would likely do the trick too if properly tuned and placed in the room without the need for instrusion into the music reproduction chain.  Not like I have a dog in the fight since we don't build Helmholz resonators.  I just offered the xover option since the OP said he really didn't want to go with a treatment to try to solve the problem.

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for the recommendations and I will take a look at them as soon as I get a chance. 

I am NOT saying I don't want to use room treatments, I just didn't get any other suggestions than the Helmholtz resonator.  Initially I thought the Helmholtz would be a cool project, but the more I dug into it, the more knowledgeable people said to stay away.  It would be very difficult to get the tuning correct and more importantly, get the placement correct.  Knowing my luck, the thing would have to be in the worst place possible for what is my living room. :roll:

I know I can do this with my sub.  I've done it before and things sounded really good.  I just don't have the same tools to use and I love the sound of my current gear. 

What else room treatment wise could I do?

coke

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2010, 06:08 pm »
You could give something like this a try.   Seems to be what you're looking for and they are only around $130.  You'd need a 12 volt power supply and you'd need a different crossover module or you could make your own (see the manual).

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/5251/18452/Car-Audio-Electronic-Crossovers/2XS--2--way-Electronic-Crossover.html

Audiocontrol is a well known brand in car audio.

You could also just build a passive crossover.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2010, 06:59 pm »
TJHUB - What speakers are you using?

TJHUB

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2010, 07:02 pm »
TJHUB - What speakers are you using?

Salk HT2-TL.  You can see them in my gallery and systems links.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2010, 09:47 pm »
How about simply stuffing up your TL ports on the Salks with socks  :thumb:
Any other electrical solution would probably affect the sound quality.

TJHUB

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2010, 10:07 pm »
How about simply stuffing up your TL ports on the Salks with socks  :thumb:
Any other electrical solution would probably affect the sound quality.

Don't think I haven't already tried that! :D  It didn't change!!  It's not the speakers.  Any speaker or sub in my room has a 36Hz peak.  It's clearly the room.  It's just that I can EQ my sub's response flat with just the single band parametric EQ.  I set the frequency to 36Hz, adjust the Q and dial it down flat. 

TJHUB

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2010, 10:35 pm »
You can either use a passive, speaker level xover or you can look into an active high pass only xover if you want to continue to use the xover on your sub for that portion.

Check out Marchand.  If you can DIY, they have the board and frequency module for $46.  Just supply connectors, power supply, and case. 

http://www.marchandelec.com/xm1.html

For something more complete, you can check this one out. 

http://www.marchandelec.com/xm44.html 

The one you'd actually want is the XM44-1AA I believe.  Can be either high pass or low pass and you pick the frequency.  A bit more though at $800.

Bryan

Bryan,

I had chance to check out the Marchand stuff.  That does look like what I'm looking for.  Even if I just do the single high-pass model, it looks like $600.00.  Now I have to decided if that's the direction I want to go.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate the links.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2010, 10:50 pm »
What sub?
And does it have speaker level inputs/outputs?

TJHUB

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2010, 10:53 pm »
What sub?
And does it have speaker level inputs/outputs?

SVS PB13-Ultra.  So yes it does just about everything, but I refuse to run IC's out to thing and back.  I also use my sub for both music and HT, so I don't have the spare inputs I'd need to run the LFE directly from my receiver to the sub.  That's just not the direction I want to go.

ricardojoa

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2010, 11:09 pm »
I used to have a preamp with analog bass management that allowed me to integrate my subwoofer for music and home theater.  I really liked the flexibility and it all worked very well.  However, about 7 months ago, I changed to a preamp that does not have analog bass management.  Now I’m looking for a solution.

My new preamp has dual volume controlled outputs.  I am currently running my sub for music by using its internal low-pass filter and parametric EQ.  This works PERFECTLY.  The problem is that I also run full-range speakers that have a rather large bass peak at 36Hz created by my room.  There is no way for me to deal with this other than using my EQ’d sub.  What I need is a way to high-pass filter my main speakers at 60-80Hz with a steep slope to keep them out of that 36Hz region as much as possible.

Are there any good solutions out there that won’t hurt sound quality at all and don’t cost thousands of dollars?  I’m looking for ideas that possibly aren't digital to avoid that A/D-D/A conversion.

Thanks.

Soryy for being off topic but what preamp did u use? Im looking for a bass management preamp, can u advise? thanks

TJHUB

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2010, 11:13 pm »
Soryy for being off topic but what preamp did u use? Im looking for a bass management preamp, can u advise? thanks

It was a Parasound 2100.  A very nice preamp for the money and I would never tell anyone not to try one.  It has a nice transparent sound to it with a fantastic feature set.  Something "better" would be the Parasound P7.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2010, 11:23 pm »
SVS PB13-Ultra.  So yes it does just about everything, but I refuse to run IC's out to thing and back.  I also use my sub for both music and HT, so I don't have the spare inputs I'd need to run the LFE directly from my receiver to the sub.  That's just not the direction I want to go.
What it does not have is just what you need...a high-pass filter.
That would have solved your problem.

What you need is a way to cut off your main speakers above the problem frequency.
You need something like the Bryston 10b xover.

TJHUB

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2010, 11:27 pm »
What it does not have is just what you need...a high-pass filter.
That would have solved your problem.

What you need is a way to cut off your main speakers above the problem frequency.
You need something like the Bryston 10b xover.

Again, I won't use the sub.  Right now I am testing some cheap FMODs that seem to work ok, but the slope is just too little to cut my mains off quick enough for my 36Hz bass peak.

I looked into the Brystons...BIG $$$!  The Marchand's look to be similar but for a lot less money.  Worth a try possibly.

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2010, 11:42 pm »
You could just buy the P7.  :lol:  It's less than that ridiculously priced Bryston 10B.