Logitech Touch Analog Mod Only testers wanted

Wayne1

Logitech Touch Analog Mod Only testers wanted
« on: 26 May 2010, 04:30 pm »
I have come up with a few mods for the analog section of the Logitech Touch.

I am very happy with the improvement, but I would like to get some feedback from others about what they think.

I am looking for five people who would be willing to send their Touch to me and allow me to mod the analog section. I would offer the mods at a reduced price if they would be willing to post their thoughts in this forum.

At this time I do not have any digital mods ready to go.

I would also be willing to build or modify a power supply for these testers at a discount.

Please do note that any mods I do will void the Logitech warranty.

This offer is for the first five people who get in touch with me.

Thank you,
Wayne

Mariusz

Re: Logitech Touch Analog Mod Only testers wanted
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2010, 04:52 pm »
Please sign me up if you still have room on your list. ( please PM me with details)

Mariusz

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2010, 07:34 pm »
As a guy that has participated in such adventures in the past with Wayne, I would suggest folks hurry to climb in on this one.

I am still using other Logitech gear I bought the last time around like this!

mikef

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2010, 09:22 pm »
Hi Wayne,

I'm interested in this - please let me know the details.

Thanks

Mike Fox

Gopher

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2010, 09:41 pm »
I am interested! 

jermmd

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2010, 11:18 pm »
I'm planning on buying a Touch and I have a decent set up. I used Wayne's digitally modded SB3 for years and I'd like to try the modded Touch. I won't really be able to compare it to an unmodded Touch since I don't have one but I can compare it to a transporter.

Let me know if I can participate,

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2010, 11:30 pm »
PM sent - I have a Touch that is brand new.

mchuckp

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2010, 11:58 pm »
Pm sent.

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2010, 01:22 pm »
I have responded to all messages.

If all who expressed interest agree with the terms, I think I have the five testers.

Thanks to everyone.

mchuckp

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2010, 03:22 pm »
Well I can say that I am excited.  Wayne has my Touch for the mods and is also building me a new power supply.  The great thing is that I also have another stock Touch to do some comparos.  Thanks Wayne!  :thumb:

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2010, 02:38 am »
I have sent out the first of the modded Touch units. Some more will go out next week.

Along the way, I have worked out mods for the digital section.

I will make a separate offering for digital mod testers next week.

tonyptony

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2010, 12:15 pm »
Wayne, will you be able to give us a hint of what the digital mods will entail to help us decide?

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2010, 04:35 pm »
Tony,

Here is a quick description of the mods I plan to offer.

Wayne

bprice2

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2010, 04:57 pm »
Have the guinea pigs received their modded Touch units yet?  Any thoughts on how the new mods sound? 

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2010, 05:24 pm »
Two are out in the field being broken in. One more will go out today or Monday.

A couple more should go out later next week.

I have not received any feedback, yet.

mchuckp

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2010, 05:00 am »
This is a double post that is also in the Digital Mod thread.  Seemed like it belongs in both.

Bolder Analog & Digital Mods w/ Deluxe Power Supply

Alright, so I’ve had my Bolder modded Squeezebox Touch for a few weeks now and wanted to give my opinions.  I had Wayne do the digital AND analog mods to the unit along with building me his brand new “Deluxe” power supply.  I also have a stock Touch that I did some comparisons with.

For anyone interested in my accompanying gear, please look here.  I will at least point at that the DAC I used is a Wyred4Sound DAC-1.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=1367

Out of the Box:
First thing I did was put my new Deluxe power supply into my stock Touch and sat down for about an hour listening session.  As Wayne described, I did think the presentation was a bit rough with the bass sounding a bit bloated and overall slightly distorted.  After about 45 minutes, things did seem much better.  Wayne said this could last for several weeks but I thought the majority of it went away the next day.  Not completely but mostly. 

The Next day I got the modded Touch out and hooked up the Deluxe PS to it and used the digital output to my DAC.  I didn’t notice much harshness so I assume mostly the “out of the box” woes stems from the power supply.  At least in my set up it did.

Back Story:
I had owned a stock SB Duet previously.  I personally found the analog outs pretty subpar.  At the time, I was in between DACs after selling my PS Audio DLIII and hoped the Duet could hold me over but I couldn’t do it.  I sold it a few weeks later and stuck to my Oppo BDP83 SE as a source even though I wanted a media server.  I’ve had a Touch since it was released.  I do find the analog outs of the Touch far superior than the Duet.  However, IMO still just not at the level it needs to be for a quality audio system.  At this time, I still didn’t have a dedicated DAC as I was waiting for the Wyred4 Sound DAC-1 to be released.  The Touch mainly sat idle until I got this DAC about a month later.  Upon getting the DAC-1, I was VERY happy with the Touch>DAC1 combo.  My goal had been to meet or exceed the performance of my Oppo BDP83 SE.  The DAC-1 uses the same family of ESS Sabre chips as the Oppo SE except a higher model.  I am THRILLED with this DAC.  It has the same sound characteristics as my Oppo SE but does it better.

Now for some impressions.  Note that this is a synopsis based on two weeks of listening.  Not out of the box.

Analog Output:
Here is my opinion of the stock Touch analog outs vs a Bolder modded Touch analogs.  As I already mentioned, I find the Touch analogs “adequate”.  Quite good for what one would expect out of a $300 device but doesn’t perform at the level of “better” gear.  I found the Bolder modded Touch a pretty significant upgrade via analogs.  It was pretty apparent something had changed in my system when I switched over.  Much bolder, cleaner sound.  Microdynamics came through more effortlessly.  When I threw the Deluxe PS into the mix things got that much better.  The PS seemed to really help the bass get cleaner and helped imaging in the overall sound.

Digital Output:
My experience with the digital outputs was a bit less dramatic than the analogs.  What I mean is that I DO hear the difference between the mods/PS but not to the same extreme as the analogs.  I feel like my stock Touch into my DAC-1 sounds VERY nice.  Adding the digital mods and/or PS REALLY does help refine the sound and takes my sound to the next level.  Here is the way I describe the difference.  I think it does everything better to a small degree and the sum of its parts yields a very nice upgrade that his hard to describe in words but you know it is there.  It’s like I find it hard to focus on any one expect of the sound and say “Gee, the bass is so much more refined” or “the soundstage grew quite a bit”.  I can’t put my finger on exactly why it sounds better but it definitely does.  When I listen to my modded Touch, the sound really PULLS me in and doesn’t want to let go.  When I use the stock Touch, it still sounds great but a bit less involving.  I really hope this makes some sense.  I don’t want to leave the impression that the modded Touch is an insignificant upgrade, because that isn’t true.  I have ZERO hesitation in the money I spent on my mods/power supply.  My system has never sounded better and the Bolder mods/ps is part of the equation.

Mod or power supply?:
For anyone wondering which made the bigger impact on my set up, the mod or the power supply.  I did a comparison of the Stock Touch with the Deluxe PS against the Modded Touch with a stock wallwart using the digital outs.  My opinion is that the modded Touch/Wallwart out performed the Stock Touch/PS.  I didn’t find the difference night and day but preferred the sound.  I think what stood out to me was the microdynamics.  They were much easier to hear.  Also, cymbals and such seemed to come through easier.  Without the mods, they were kind of lost in the mix.  Again, either configuration was better than the stock Touch with wallwart.  After this I put the PS back into the modded Touch and my magic sound was back. 

Final Thoughts:
I’m sure someone is wondering which configuration sounds the best.  Here is my opinion on that.  If I was forced to choose between a Bolder analog mod (even with the PS), I’d still keep my stock Touch into my DAC-1.  The Bolder analog modded Touch is a large improvement over the stock Touch BUT still can’t quite reach the level of throwing my DAC into the chain.  If you wanted to keep a simple set up and avoid using a DAC or wanted a quality sound in a 2nd set up, I think the modded Touch via analogs is a great investment.  But if your goal is to maximize your sound to the highest potential, I recommend a Bolder digital mod/ps and get yourself a quality external DAC. 

I’m sure results will vary with everybody’s gear and the synergy you have in components.  But these are my impressions on my system.  For me, the digital mods with PS is the way to achieve the highest level I can get and glad I went this route.  In the end, I won’t use the analog mods that I paid for, but hey, I wanted to experiment and glad I did it.

Hope this helps some of you.  And a special thanks to Wayne who was very courteous and helpful answering a lot of emails from me.  Greatly appreciated and thanks for the quality work.

Mike

Wayne1

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2010, 06:08 pm »
Thank you for your comments, Mike.

In my comparisons, the modded Touch, both analog and digital sound better than the SB2, 3, or DUET. I haven't had a Transporter here for a bit, but I believe the modded Touch will sound better than a stock Transporter, either analog or digital.

A good linear power supply should be used along with the mods. Mike Galusha has done some measurements of a cheap linear and one of my Standard supplies. The Standard is 17 x quieter. Usually a linear supply is better than a switcher. A GOOD linear is quite a bit better than a cheap one.

jbeard

« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2010, 05:14 pm »
Anyone have anymore comments regarding the analog mods? I am very interested in the results.  I am seriously considering the analog mod after talking to Wayne.  I have no intention at this point of using an external DAC. 

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2010, 05:21 pm »
Most of the mods I have done have been digital only.

lcrim has a pair of analog modded Touch units that he really, really likes.

The latest issue of stereophile has a very good review of the Touch.

The slight problems mentioned in the article about the analog output vs the digital into a separate DAC are greatly reduced with the analog mod.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2010, 06:19 pm »
Mike,

Fantastic review. Very well written and answers all my questions.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time.

Anand.