ERS on Component Cables

bubba966

ERS on Component Cables
« on: 11 Feb 2004, 11:55 pm »
Has anyone tried wrapping a component cable in ERS?

Was it helpful, or harmful?

JoshK

ERS on Component Cables
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2004, 01:44 am »
I've always wondered what wrapping ERS around cables would do to the capacitance.  It is conductive material so I would imagine it adds capacitance much like shielding does and I personally don't like shielding for source component cables.

Most component cables are already shielded so I can't see the ERS adding much to the performance, except maybe the psychological effect.

bubba966

ERS on Component Cables
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2004, 05:24 am »
Well, I've wondered for quite some time if ERS would be good or bad for a video application.

It works good on my digital cable. But a component cable is sending an analog signal. And it's been said that analog isn't so swell mixed with ERS.

As I'm quite close to getting a set of new component vid cables made, I want to make sure they're made to perform as best as they can because I don't want to upgrade them again.

Maybe I'll ask Jay if he's still got his Bolder digital w/inline Bybee. And if he'd be willing to a/b it with his Napalm. That'd give me an idea if ERS is good or not...

BOK

ERS on Component Cables
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2004, 10:12 pm »
I slipped a Z-Sleeve over my component (have 2-- ZU Megular and Blue Jeans' Belden 1694A) cable and was impressed with the results.

I use the Belden 1694A most of the time.  The Sleeve definately lifted some guaze from the image but most evident were the deeper, more vibrant colors.

BOK

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
ERS on Component Cables
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2004, 08:10 am »
I'm in agreement with you BOK, I have a standard Z-Sleeve on both my component & s-video cable and the picture definitely became more defined. And this is with Bybees on both cables already! :o I have definitely taken a shining to Mark Hampton's Z-Sleeves as he has discovered what most of us have been looking for,,,, the BEST way to utilize Stillpoints ERS. :D Regards, Robin