You guys were definately correct about revalidating Windows

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
My brother has essentiall built 2 computers this week, mostly from scratch with new parts but partly by cannibalizing older machines.  In both cases, after enough things were switched, XP Home wouldn't recognize it as the same PC anymore, so he had to call in to revalidate it.

Guess Gates has to maintain his place on the list of the worlds richest men somehow.  Heaven forbid someone might use the same O/S on two different PCs in the same house! :o

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2004, 09:36 pm »
Gee, this sounds like fun. :shake:

It's getting to the point where I need to re-install my OS, and I'm not sure if I'm going to put ME back on. I've actually found ME to be to my liking. But I've not been fond of XP when using it on other people's 'puters.

So I might just pickup Windows Server 2003 soon and put that on. Hopefully I like that better than XP... :roll:

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2004, 12:02 am »
Windows server 2003 is much like XP and will require more overhead. It also requires activation. :( I would suggest XP unless you need the functionality of a server. Cheaper and uses less resources.

One thing you can do with XP if you don't like the new look is change the theme to "classic windows" and it looks/feels very much like Win2K. Stability wise it's much better than ME, at least in my experience.

just my 0x10 bytes. :)

Mike

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2004, 12:10 am »
Mike, I do need the ability to run dual AMD MP processors. Which is why I'm leaning toward Sever 2003. And I'm not worrying about any $ differences between Sever 2003 & XP. Not really an issue when getting it from the MS company store (nice to know MS employees... :mrgreen: )

I'm fairly positive XP Home won't do dual CPU's, but I don't know about XP Pro... :scratch:

bob82274

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2004, 01:44 am »
XP pro will do Duel processors...  I'm in a unique situation in that I have a copy of XP pro that is legal but you don't have to do the activation and it will let you install it on as many computers as you want.  Unfortunately it seems to have some parts missing so its like halfway between XP Pro and Home.  I have a P4 with Hyper-Threading which should look like duel processors to the system but no doin.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2004, 01:51 am »
i have dualies at work and run XP Pro....XP Pro is nice, better than 2k Pro I have at home...

JohnR

Re: You guys were definately correct about revalidating Wind
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2004, 02:00 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Guess Gates has to maintain his place on the list of the worlds richest men somehow.  Heaven forbid someone might use the same O/S on two different PCs in the same house! :o

Try Linux, escape from the bull$hit. The distros are looking a lot better these days. I'll be trying a few over the next few weeks, will report back.

brj

Re: You guys were definately correct about revalidating Wind
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2004, 05:31 am »
Quote from: JohnR
Quote from: Rob Babcock

Try Linux, escape from the bull$hit. The distros are looking a lot better these days. I'll be trying a few over the next few weeks, will report back.

They've all come a long way, and the pace seems to be constantly accelerating.   I run Redhat 9.0 both at home on a homebuilt Athlon XP box, and at work on a dual processor Intel Xeon workstation.  We've also got (updated) versions of Redhat 7.x on most of our compute clusters at work.  Personally, I'll probably switch to SuSE in April once Redhat drops errata support for RH9.  I'd switch earlier, but I want to give the new 2.6 kernel a chance to become the default first.  I might play with Fedora a bit first, but they still have some QA issues to deal with...

I haven't looked at it much lately, but Mandrake has a good reputation as a starter distro.  If you just want a taste of Linux without modifying your existing system, grab a Knoppix CD.  Just boot from the CD and you have an instant Linux system, and nothing gets written to your Windows harddrive (but make sure you have enough RAM).  If you want to get really clever, get a USB pen drive and put your home directory (user accounts) on it... that way you can take your environment with you where ever you go and mount it in virtually any Linux system.

-Brian

bob82274

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2004, 06:04 am »
I'll probably get a second PC here in the next 6 months or so and I plan on running Linux on it.  Too bad bout Red Hat dropping desktop support.  Their headquarters are on campus so I feel kinda bad about not using their distro (doesn't hurt that I like using 9.0).  Suse is definately a front runner for the distro I plan on using

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2004, 02:09 pm »
I have Suse 8.1 and to be honest I'm not all that keen on it. 9.0 might be a different story. I do have to give Suse a thumbs up on ease of installation, from memory. Anyway I just ordered a Mandrake CD set, my ongoing tests will be here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8184

I guess I should butt out of this Windows thread now :lol: