Modded Zhalou 2.0 DAC *PRICE REDUCTION*

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Modded Zhalou 2.0 DAC *PRICE REDUCTION*
« on: 24 May 2010, 06:05 pm »
For Sale:

Zhalou 2.0 Dac with the AD1852 Dac chip.  Asking $225.00 $200 $175

The following upgrades were made by me to this DAC:

* Upgraded the center op-amp to a LM4562.
* Upgraded the 2 flanking op-amps to the OPA2107.  This has added to the resolution & extension.
* Bypassing the 4 electrolytic coupling caps which substantially improved the sound.

These mods were done on the advice of OCCAM(Paul) and the result were substantial improvements to this DAC.

I will accept Money Orders, Check or PayPal(add 2% to the above price).

I will pay for the shipping which will be insured.

Thanks for looking,

Randy
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2010, 12:30 pm by rklein »

rklein

Re: Modded Zhalou 2.0 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2010, 06:22 pm »
Price reduced to $200.  Only selling to step up to a Sabre based DAC for quite a bit more $$.

Thanks,

Randy

rklein

Re: Modded Zhalou 2.0 DAC *PRICE REDUCTION*
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2010, 12:32 pm »
*Bump* for Final Reduction to $175 (See 1st post for price reduction)

Thanks,

Randy

rklein

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2010, 12:21 pm »
Final *BUMP* before going to Audiogon.

Thanks,

Randy

Zerogravity

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:40 pm »
Im still not sure if this will improve the S.Q. I already have! Can it be connected with my reciever for multiple source playing? I have read where DACs that offer noticeable improvement are often very expensive, but having never hearing one myself I am open. I have heard upgraded caps and resistors do not do anything, yet people who have platnium bypass caps and Mills resistors installed swear by the huge difference in sound quality, so I will never knock anything unless I hear it myself!

rklein

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2010, 01:59 pm »
Zerogravity,
The Zhaolu DAC will give you the ability to choose between 2 digital signals fed into it, a coaxial digital signal as well as a separtate toslink signal. So you could hook up your cd player (if it has a digital output) via the coaxial input and a cable box via the toslink (if your cable box has one). This does not change the ability to use any of the other inputs on your receiver.

As to whether this dac would be an improvement, that would depend on the quality of whatever digital to analog converters your presently using, like the ones internal to your cd/dvd player and/or your cable box. Given both my experience with the Zhaolu, I would say it should offer a significant improvement.

As to opinions on upgraded boutique parts offering improvements, its like bodily orifices, everyone has at least one.   But that is not specifically germane to the Zhaolu. I didn't change the coupling caps to more expensive boutiqe parts, rather by the careful choice of replacement opamps, it allowed the bypass of those coupling caps. Generally, the best coupling cap, when possible, is no capacitor.
While the Zhaolu was a bargain when stock, it was obviously built to a price point. It simply doesn't make economic sense to provide $45 (retail) in opamps in a $350 dac. The replacement opamps, a pair of OPA2107 and a single LM4562 were chosen for their objectively measurable improvements, lower offsets, distortion, etc.... and the fact that subjectively they sound great together.

Randy

rklein

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2010, 02:32 pm »
I might also add that for those of you who might be on the fence in regards to going to a computer front end, this Zhalou DAC coupled with the Bolder modded SB3 and Bolder Power Supply(that I have listed in another thread in this circle) would give you a pretty decent turn key alternative to a CD player for a grand total of $645!  Maybe not quite as good as a CD player for $2K but this combination certainly gets you on the dance floor. :eyebrows:

Thanks,

Randy