Hard wiring Bryston electronics

larevoj

Hard wiring Bryston electronics
« on: 24 May 2010, 09:54 am »
Folks, this seems like a dumb question...what is the best way to turn on the Bryston electronics?  :oops:

I don't have a BR2 and will soon use a universal remote to take care of the volume control (I suppose it can be done) :scratch: Meanwhile I have hard wired my 4BSST2/MPS2/BP26/BDA1 using the MPS-2 'Remote Trigger Out' for the 4BSST2 and MPS-2 'Switched Trig Out' for the BDA1. This way I can turn on the entire system at the flip of the MPS2 on/off toggle switch.:dance:

It works well but I notice when I flip the MPS2 on/off toggle switch the BDA1 will turn on (from standby) momentarily and goes back to standby again until the BP26 turns on then the BDA1 turns on permanently. Is this normal? Anyone here experience this?

James you think the above momentary on/off of the BDA1 is normal??

Thanks!!

JL

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Hard wiring Bryston electronics
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2010, 11:17 am »
Hi JL,

Not sure on the BDA-1 going out of standby then back in - the only thing that explains it is loss of the 12 volts for a short period of time while the BP26 starts up - I will check with engineering.

james

Napalm

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2010, 12:58 am »
I don't have a BR2 and will soon use a universal remote to take care of the volume control (I suppose it can be done) :scratch:

Just to let you know that the Logitech Harmony One did not work for me.

Nap.

larevoj

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2010, 10:51 am »
the Logitech Harmony One did not work for me.

:roll: Are you using the BR 2 instead? I will give the Logitech a go at it...

I guess its everyone's dream here if we have Apple apps for Bryston electronics but I doubt it is feasible since Ipod or Iphone doesn't operate on infra but Bluetooth. Not sure if a Bluetooth device in the electronics would have any significant impact on sound  :scratch:

Napalm

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2010, 11:13 am »
:roll: Are you using the BR 2 instead? I will give the Logitech a go at it...

Yes I eventually got the BR2. If you have access to one (like at your dealer) I would suggest the Sony RM-VL610. It works well but it needs to learn the codes from the BR2.

Allegedly the Harmony One can learn too, but it's a convoluted process in which you need the remote connected to a PC connected to internet.

Nap.  :thumb:

larevoj

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2010, 08:49 am »
Hi JL,

Not sure on the BDA-1 going out of standby then back in - the only thing that explains it is loss of the 12 volts for a short period of time while the BP26 starts up - I will check with engineering.

james

Hi James, were you able to retrieve any further information from engineering in regards to the above? Thanks!  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2010, 10:55 am »
Hi James, were you able to retrieve any further information from engineering in regards to the above? Thanks!  :)

No sorry-- no answer yet. 

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2010, 01:59 pm »
From engineering:

Hi James;

There's a momentary blip from the switched trigger out when the MPS2 is initially turned on.  It's very short, but obviously enough to turn the BDA1 on for a second.  If the intention is to have the whole system turn on at the same time, I'd recommend using the main trigger output for both the amp and the BDA1.

Thanks,
 Mike

larevoj

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2010, 02:51 pm »
If the intention is to have the whole system turn on at the same time, I'd recommend using the main trigger output for both the amp and the BDA1.

Hi James, do you meant by wiring 2 sets of wires out from the MPS-2 'Remote Trigger Out' for both 4BSST2 and BDA1?

Just want to be sure... :eyebrows:

JL

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2010, 05:43 pm »
Hi James, do you meant by wiring 2 sets of wires out from the MPS-2 'Remote Trigger Out' for both 4BSST2 and BDA1?

Just want to be sure... :eyebrows:

JL

Correct.

james

larevoj

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2010, 08:43 am »

Ryanz

« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2010, 06:14 pm »
I'm not sure wether or not this question has been asked, so I apologize if it has. Why did Bryston decide to have the trigger out option hard wired as opposed to the plug option?

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2010, 07:27 pm »
I'm not sure wether or not this question has been asked, so I apologize if it has. Why did Bryston decide to have the trigger out option hard wired as opposed to the plug option?

I guess you mean the std. mini-jack option used by many components?  I've wondered the same thing.  At one point many moons ago I had non-Bryston amps and made a cable from the Bryston to the other component with a mini-jack.

Ryanz

« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2010, 07:43 pm »
Yeah. I'm fairly new to higher end audio components. Is this common practice for power amps? I had a Rotel RB-1080 which had the plug option, but I hardly consider that a power amp.

larevoj

« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2010, 11:30 pm »
I hardly consider that a power amp.

I used to have Quad electronics and I can connect my Quad 909 and 99Pre using the Quadlink though not preferred as compared to RCA interconnects. Other more recent brands like Leema Acoustic has LIPS connection to integrate their electronics which I thought is rather neat.

On second thought you only need to wire it once and you will never have to bother about it once the soothing music starts flowing... :drool:

srb

« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2010, 11:35 pm »
I had a Rotel RB-1080 which had the plug option, but I hardly consider that a power amp.

Why is that?

Steve

Ryanz

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2010, 03:21 pm »
I don't know. I guess it just wasn't up to my expectations of a power amp, but they are only $1,000. It was a pretty good amp. You know it could have been my speakers. They're super power hungry. I didn't even take that into consideration.

srb

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2010, 03:31 pm »
I don't know. I guess it just wasn't up to my expectations of a power amp, but they are only $1,000. It was a pretty good amp. You know it could have been my speakers. They're super power hungry. I didn't even take that into consideration.

Yes, I had one and also thought it was a pretty good amp at its price point.  I was going to acuse you of transitioning from audiophile to audiosnob, but now you have clarified it in a better context!

That being said, I would love to hear a Bryston SST2 in my system.  When I can afford it.

Steve

Napalm

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2010, 03:48 pm »
I guess that Ryanz has found out the difference between single transformer and dual mono design when powering a difficult load.

Nap.  :thumb:

Ryanz

« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2010, 04:04 pm »
Steve - Yeah. That's my bad. I need to think before I speak. I'm in no way an audiosnob or an audiophile. I don't know a lot about specs or terms, I just know what sounds good to me. I just purchased the 4BSST2 and it definetly wasn't cheap by my standards but I did notice a significant difference.