internal wiring for a DIY passive preamp

CButterworth

« on: 11 Feb 2004, 09:23 pm »
Hello,

I am getting together a list of parts for a DIY passive preamp.  I want the preamp to be able to switch from around six line-level input sources.  Initially, I'll not include a volume pot, but may add a DACT or Seiden later.

My question is regarding internal wire  ie. which wire would be most suitable - Vampire, Cardas, etc.  Also what AWG?

I'd welcome any opinions on this.

Thanks,
Charlie

ABEX

« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2004, 09:33 pm »
I will be doing the same soon and shall be using my wire. Either the OTA or Ag which are small gauge which is what I think you would need.

Good luck!
www.nearsota.com

_scotty_

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2004, 03:43 am »
You might try Radio Shack 18ga hook-up wire or THHN 12ga or 14ga standed from Lowe's or Home Depot. All three of these wires are very neutral and dynamic. The larger  gauge THHN wire is more dynamic and has better bass extension, it is preferable if it can be used. This is the wire
I used in my buffer and everywhere else in my system.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2004, 10:47 am »
One approach would to use whatever wire you've found works well for interconnects.

CButterworth

Re: internal wiring
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2004, 03:50 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  I'll take a look at Lowes for the THHN (THNN or whatever) wire.

I had also considered CAT 5e wire that comes in most network cables.  As the internal wiring will not be carrying high loads, it may be very suitable, although my guess is that the bass may not be as strong as with other wires.

Regards,
Charlie

bhiggins

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2004, 06:40 pm »
For line level signals, I use one of two types of wire depending on how much I'm willing to spend:

1) Silver plated copper solid-core with teflon insulation.  I buy this at my local surplus shop for $0.10 a foot.

2) Solid silver wire with teflon insulation.  I buy this from the link below and find it to be excellent.  I have used AWG30, which is not a good choice if you are soldering and desoldering connections.  I am going to try the AWG27, which is 50% thicker and should be more robust.  Price is $55-$60 for a 25ft spool.

http://www.a-msystems.com/electronics/wire/silvertef.aspx

_scotty_

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2004, 08:02 pm »
CButterworth, I used the Cat 5 for a quick and dirty connection when I was setting the idle current on the buffer board. I connected straight to the DACT from the jacks and then to the input side of the buffer. I thought it sounded pretty good and it was only after I did the final wire up with THHN that I realized how much information was missing when it had been
wired with Cat5. I was more than a little surprised at the result. I could handicap the performance of the buffer with the choice of wiring alone.
All performance parameters were affected by the wire. And in the case of the Cat5 ,not for the better.  Good luck on your project,Scotty