RM-10 Speaker Selection and Synergy

audioferret

RM-10 Speaker Selection and Synergy
« on: 22 May 2010, 01:21 am »
I was hoping to get some ideas on possible speaker combinations with the RM-10.  I currently have a pair of single-driver speakers I built using the FR-125 that are 8ohm, 85db.  I also have a pair of RAW Acoustics HT-2 that are 10ohm, 87db.  I don't listen at concert levels.  My preamp is a mapletree Magic 5b that I built.

Has anyone found speakers that synergize well with a setup like this?  Should my current speakers work out, or do I need something more sensitive

tompoodie

Re: RM-10 Speaker Selection and Synergy
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2010, 12:47 am »
hello Mr. ferret: as you may know, Roger voiced the RM 10 with Quad 57 esl speakers.Quads unlimited rebuilt 57s are about $4000. I believe the combination of this amp and these speakers are hard to match at any price. In the deal, you would accept minimal bass below 40 Hz and not being able to play above about 100 dB, which you shouldn't do anyhow if you don't want to go deaf.  Audiophile sites have loads of information about the speakers. Try quadesl.org, among others. What do you think? Best regards, Tom

Clio09

Re: RM-10 Speaker Selection and Synergy
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2010, 10:57 pm »
I use a set of Audiokinesis Jazz Module speakers with my RM-10 MkII. They combination sounds fantastic. While the Jazz Module are $4500, the Audiokinesis Rhythm Prisms are $2500 and nearly as good according to the designer.

I didn't know the amp was voiced with Quad 57s. I may have to try that combo sometime. I've always been infatuated with the 57s.