2-channel DVD-A

greve

2-channel DVD-A
« on: 11 Feb 2004, 03:28 pm »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before - checked last couple of months with no luck.

I would like to know if other people have tried to get 2-channel audio out of a DVD-A player - although slightly defying the point of multi-channel DVD-A, I have a (good) reason...

I have a Denon DVD-3800 (not sure if this is the same model number in US) which plays DVD-A. I also have a TAG McLaren AV32R-192 pre/pro. The TAG is unfortunately without the 5.1 bypassed input, so I can't take the 5.1 output from DVD-A player and connect it to a 5.1 input. So what do I do?

I was wondering if there is something in the DVD-A standard like "2-channel downmix" i.e. that the 5.1 channels can be combined into 2-channel analogue stereo output or similar to get some of the benefits of DVD-A.

I have tried to play with the settings in the DVD-A player, but I'm not sure if defining rear/center/sub as NONE will do the trick - it still displays 6 speaker icons in the display when playing a multi-channel DVD-A...

Any help will be appreciated.

JoshK

2-channel DVD-A
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2004, 03:31 pm »
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for the Sony TA-P9000ES. See if you can find one on the used market.  Somewhat hard to come by lately.  

I have only one DVD-A and it has a 2 channel track that is selectable so I actually don't know the answer to this question.  I thought that you could downmix though, I could be wrong.

rbrb

2-channel DVD-A
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2004, 04:53 pm »
Every DVD-Audio player made has the capability to downmix to stereo, it's done automatically.

Use the 2-channel output jacks on the player. When the disc has a choice between 2 channel or multi-channel tracks choose the stereo mix. The vast majority of the discs I own give me the choice.

If there is no choice let the player fold down the mix to stereo. It's not ideal but it works.

WerTicus

2-channel DVD-A
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2004, 03:33 pm »
a lot of discs sound better when you put it on 5.1 mode playing through 2 speakers rather than 2 speaker mode through two speakers

i dunno why

seems to be lacking bass on a couple discs maybe its missing the sub information otherwise....