A Speaker for Women?

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
A Speaker for Women?
« on: 20 May 2010, 01:57 pm »
This is from Harman Kardon and they claim it's the world's first audiophile multimedia speaker.  But visually it has obvious appeal to women with it's diamond appearance.  I wonder would this design be the perfect unisex, high WAF speaker if it were a bookshelf speaker?

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=GLA-55&accT=1&tsT=0&ovT=0

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: A Speaker for Women?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2010, 02:00 pm »
I got the blues, I said I got the blues.  I got the my hi-fi system doesn't sound like I want it to blues. You done me wrong, you treat me bad.  You no good system, low down dirty, rotten, stinkin', lying, cheating system.  You done made me sad, made me mad I ever brought you into my room.  I took the time, treated you right (I elevated your cables sugar.)  Turned down the lights, gave you my full attention every night.  Gave you a special platform to sit on, like a queen on a throne. What more could a system want baby, I spent my money, I spent my time, set you up right, got you dedicated lines.  But you treat me bad, you change your mood, play right only when you want to.  That 'ain't kind baby, this 'ain't my baby.   I gotta get rid of you system, get you out the door before too long.  Better get your act together, gonna try one more tweak, one more song.  Better play it right, don't play it wrong or you're going to find yourself on Audiogon.  Get 'Gon.

:lol:  Yep, you crazy!

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2010, 02:48 pm »
I've talked to about ten of my female friends and they've all agreed that these are the ugliest speakers they've ever seen

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2010, 03:58 pm »
I've talked to about ten of my female friends and they've all agreed that these are the ugliest speakers they've ever seen

Well that is interesting, I would have thought at least a few would have considered them "cute".

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2010, 04:24 pm »
Sorry, but I have to side with the girls. Those things are hideous. They look like salt and pepper shakers. Ice sculptures? Something for sale on the shopping channel? $19.95 each - but for the next 10 minutes only, buy one and we will include another equally beautiful Ice Speaker for FREE and that's not all. If you act immediately we will throw in 6 feet of world class audiophile grade 28 gauge speaker wire just like the pros use. Don't wait - this offer is for a limited time only.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2010, 04:27 pm »
I guess I am lucky.
My wife prefers the look of the Martin Logan Vista's overs any other speaker I have brought in to the house.

I think these may be more WAF friendly:

http://ultraaudio.com/equipment/crystal_cable_arabesque.htm

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2010, 04:32 pm »
She's right. 

Of course, need we say more?   :lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2010, 04:48 pm »
A bit on the horny taste:

:lol: :thumb:

EthanH

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2010, 04:50 pm »
From my experience chicks dig Totem.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2010, 04:57 pm »
If you design the space around them, these are actually very WAF:

drew54

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2010, 05:10 pm »
I agree w several of these posts:

1) those spkrs are ugly.  for some reason, reading about them and women made me think of sigourney weaver and aliens.

2) my wife likes the look of the martin logans in the den - ML have believed in elegance of design for a long time. 

3) that blues lyric is super.  A left over from Led Zep 1?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2010, 05:31 pm »

I completely agree. Those are some of the ugliest speakers I have ever seen--even uglier than big horn speakers. There is no way those would ever end up in my listening room no matter how good they might sound. One of the reasons, besides great sound, that I love about my Daedalus speakers is that they are all hardwood with a beautiful finish, dove tail joints, etc--a real work of art -- pleasing to the eye as well to the ears.

Laura

Mariusz

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2010, 06:10 pm »
My wife's personal dream speakers for ME !!!!!

BobM

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2010, 06:56 pm »
Maybe if they had a color changing mood-controlled light inside that makes them glow. However if they were blue and calm when you're listening but start turning orange/red when your wife comes into the room to tell you about the garbage to be taken out or the basement cleaning that still isn't started ... you would certainly be in more trouble.

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2010, 07:06 pm »
The best speaker for women is one that's not seen.  The second best is a smaller speaker with wood (not black lacquer).   My wife likes my cherry Linns and my Salks, but hated the looks of my VMPS RM40 black coffins.  Too bad, as they sound the best of the three. 

Ruby Mae

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2010, 07:13 pm »
that is one really ugly speaker...  :roll:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2010, 07:13 pm »
The best speaker for women is one that's not seen.  The second best is a smaller speaker with wood (not black lacquer).

That may be true for your wife, but not necessarily true for all women. There are women on AC, including me, that have rather large and good looking floor standing speakers.

Ruby Mae

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2010, 07:16 pm »
That may be true for your wife, but not necessarily true for all women. There are women on AC, including me, that have rather large and good looking floor standing speakers.

you get em girl  :guns: ... i agree with u 100%. and what a sexist comment.  :nono: UGH...gimme a break.   

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2010, 07:36 pm »
Surely you two are aware that your mere presence here is testimony to the fact that you are not "normal". I suspect that ctviggen made a safe generalization concerning the way most women feel about speakers. My own wife is quite indulgent about speaker acceptance but I know from years and years of reading and audiophile conversations that most husbands are not so lucky.

Years ago I worked for Handler Western Wear in Denver. We sat in a "boiler room" and made sales calls to western wear stores all over the U.S. Certain stores would ask that their shirt order emphasize mostly short sleeve lengths because they had a heavily Mexican clientele. A couple of other stores asked for longer sleeves because they had a lot of black customers. Nobody was being racist. They were just ordering according to the general characteristics of their specialty clientele. Ctviggen is not being sexist either. He is offering an observation that reflects his (and my) experience. The fact that one gender is making an observation about the other does not reflect gender bias in this instance so much as it shows a sensitivity to subtle difference. He's your ally.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2010, 07:37 pm »
Those are kinda hideous to me.  They "can't be serious".  Can they?  Must be some markets we don't know about.  Yeah, but Laura and Rubiest May, ya'll are music lovers!