VR 4.5

welshstar

VR 4.5
« on: 20 May 2010, 03:57 am »
Hi

I used to have a VR3, VR1 and LCR15 system and ended up selling it which was a mistake.

Anyways a local dealer has a set of 4.5 for sale and im struggling to find out much info about them, I would really appreciate help with the following.

1 - Any reviews or thoughts on their use in a 14 x 16 room, I have an Esoteric SACD, Clearaudio TT, Anthem 225 integrated.

2 - What is their weight ?

3 - What would be a fair price for a set approx 12 years old in reasonable condition.

Appreciate any other thoughts or guidance

T

JackD201

Re: VR 4.5
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2010, 04:04 am »
Here ya go Welsh

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vrline/SPECS.HTM#vr45

A high of 3k to 3.5k for minty units should be fair. They weigh 150lbs per side.

ListeningEar

• It’s all about the music!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2011, 09:21 pm »
Back in 1999 - 2003 when I lived in the USA and was a humble VSA customer, I owned a set of very special 4.5's, these were special editions, silver wired, Hovland caps and 9" drivers over the standard 8" (I think there were a few more but can't recall them all), finished in the gloss maple with grey cloth.

I had these setup with a Krell KSPA-7B re-worked by Krell to their reference standard and a KSA-100 II power amp. Source components were a Meridian transport and DAC with a Michell Gyrodec export turntable (Rega RB900 tonearm silver wired with Ortofon MC3000 II cartridge) with QC power supply.  Mains power was all handled by a Chang Lightspeed unit and I had various high-end cables I had brought with me from the UK when I relocated over there.

Sound was stunning, I could not fault this system in any way, it has been the one system I have ever owned that did everything right for me.  I was fortunate in that I lived in a cul-de-sac and could leave my windows and doors open, play the system real loud and have neighbours walk past and ask if they could come and see/listen to the system, clarity, detail and soundstaging were awesome.

Room size was 20ft x 30ft and I was never afriad to turn the volume up lol!  System could easily fill the room without any distortion or harshness and that was without having to turn the volume dial about half-way.

Of course, this is all very subjective but the VR4.5's are one of the very few audio items I have sold over the years and regretted.  I live in the UK now and for most UK size rooms the VR-2 fit the bill nicely (although at the moment I am out of the audio game and no longer have a two channel system).  Maybe in the future when I relocate back to the USA I will once again become a humble VSA customer hehe.

blownrx7

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2011, 07:49 pm »
1 - Any reviews or thoughts on their use in a 14 x 16 room, I have an Esoteric SACD, Clearaudio TT, Anthem 225 integrated.

2 - What is their weight ?

3 - What would be a fair price for a set approx 12 years old in reasonable condition.

T

1.  I have had a pair of 4.5's silver edition for over 10 years now - and have been very content. They are in a 20 x 30 room and they can fill it up given the right amplification - low wattage units need not apply for high volume levels. If you keep it at anything below party-time levels, then low wattage (20-60watts even) tube units can be considered but don't expect to blow the roof off.
In a 14x17 room, they will clearly dominate with their presence -that may be the toughest part of owning them -  they are BIG! You can keep them relatively close to the wall (as close as 2ft away) IF you have a bass trap directly behind each spkr to tame the bass and the tweeter turned down.
They can sound a little strident on top given the wrong amplification so don't cheap out on the amp. Biamplification using Albert's method (PASSIVE biamping) can give awesome results - use SS for bass and tubes for top end and you will be in heaven.

For bang for the buck, you can't go wrong. You have to spend MANY thousands more to get better than these!
This old VS link still works and you can get mfr info and a link to reviews from here. 
http://www.vonschweikert.com/vrline/SPECS.HTM#vr45
Also, read the VR4 reviews and consider everything just that much better but the same type sound. These were the last, best evolution before they went to the newer cabinet style.

2. The weight is 150 lbs/per speaker - 97 lbs for the woofer cabinet and 53 lbs for the mid/treble cabinet

3.  I paid 2100US over 10 yrs ago and felt like I stole them. I sold (gave away?) a second pair (yes I had 2 prs at one time :D that had finish issues for 1100US about a year ago.
Just mho but I would not even consider paying over $2.5K even for a minty pair.

BTW, most of the VR4.5's have the finish issue that goes into the veneer. The clearcoat is cracking and the veneer is delaminating. The good thing is that from 5 feet away, they look perfect.

hth