SDS-254 Amplifier - Plug and play?

GDeering

SDS-254 Amplifier - Plug and play?
« on: 18 May 2010, 05:46 pm »
I've kind of been avoiding thinking about another digital amp... but I have to ask, aside from needing a power cord, is the amp plug and play? 

Also I know the amp is inexpensive, but the plastic jacks look like a potential problem, has anyone had trouble with either the speaker or rca jacks?

Thanks,

Gregg

Nick77

Re: SDS-254 Amplifier - Plug and play?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2010, 05:57 pm »
Ive had several of these amps and the posts havent displayed any problems for me. They actually seem pretty sturdy. Of course you will have to mount and wire it up, needing rca's and binding posts and an iec for power. The new plug in modules do make installion much eaisier since there is no soldering on the board now. Installing a power switch and leds optional. You also have to solder the gain pots. The SuperD series are a real treat! :eyebrows:

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2010, 06:10 pm »
It is NOT PLUG & PLAY amp. Non of them are.
They are relatively easy to assemble which makes them perfect for starting up DIY-ers or someone's first project.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2010, 12:46 am »
As said, NOT PLUG & PLAY.

You have to wire it up properly (improper wiring will fry the board or worse).  There's an online manual to help you.

You have to solder inputs, speaker posts, AC input, AC switch, fuse holder, etc... could have missed something.  :scratch:

I'm not saying it's difficult, that will depend on your level of experience.  The upside is that there are plenty of experienced AC members ready to help you if needed.  :wink:

GDeering

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2010, 01:54 pm »
I knew it was too good to be true.  But one can hope, I appreciate everyones input.

I’ve resisted the lure of the soldering iron, I’ve had a friend build me a 2A3 SET.  It later developed problems and went through several experienced hands but it never was fully fixed.  But perhaps I can find someone in NYC to put the SDS together?

Gregg

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2010, 02:04 pm »
I say GO FOR IT! 

Take your time and post pictures and questions.  We are here to help.   :thumb:

GDeering

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2010, 03:39 pm »
I say GO FOR IT! 

Take your time and post pictures and questions.  We are here to help.

Sorry, I was not clear.  I'm not going to try it myself.  I can't afford a learning curve, I may be able to find someone with more experience to do it, or has the set up to allow me to experiment.  My SET friend has moved out of the city, and as nice as he was to make the amps it was an experiment for him as well.  Can one be a cheap and cheerful checkbook audiophile? 

I used to be a painter, more action school than refined attention to detail, that would carry through to my DIY attitude, so I think I'm just incompatible.  Or maybe lazy....

Gregg

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2010, 03:46 pm »
Sorry, I was not clear.  I'm not going to try it myself.  I can't afford a learning curve, I may be able to find someone with more experience to do it, or has the set up to allow me to experiment.  My SET friend has moved out of the city, and as nice as he was to make the amps it was an experiment for him as well.  Can one be a cheap and cheerful checkbook audiophile? 

I used to be a painter, more action school than refined attention to detail, that would carry through to my DIY attitude, so I think I'm just incompatible.  Or maybe lazy....

Gregg

I think you got it.  Lazy!   :lol:

Seriously, if you can read, use a screwdriver, pliers, volt meter (not really needed) and solder (again, not really needed) you can do this.  You can use the computer so you're half way there IMO.  We will not let you fail.   :thumb:

Short of me selling you my completed Super D setup I don't know how else to help.