Adcom GFA 5500 or Rotel 990BX

Gvt1911

Adcom GFA 5500 or Rotel 990BX
« on: 17 May 2010, 08:27 pm »
Looking for a preowned 200 watt per channel amp. I have a rotel 990BX that is very nice, but a bit "harsh" when pushed. Looking at the Adcom GFA 5500 amps. Would the Adcom "sound" better since it uses Mosfets? I also see some Adcom's with power cord attached and some later models with detachable cords. Any difference? I believe both models are still Made in the USA...The rotel is a bit large for my rack and the Adcom would be a better fit, but is it a better amp? Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks

mark funk

Re: Adcom GFA 5500 or Rotel 990BX
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2010, 09:16 pm »
If I were looking for an amp in the class of Adcom or Rotel, I would take the Adcom just because it is made in the USA. I would look for a Carver.

:smoke:

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2010, 09:31 pm »
This is not even a fair comparison. Without a doubt the Rotel!!!! The Rotel is so much better, it's not even in the same league. If I was you, I'd look for a used Rotel RB-1090 amp on Audiogon. Amazing amplifier that can be had for about $1200. The RB-1090 is one of the best amps at any price period. The 990BX is excellent also.

Lyndon

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2010, 10:37 pm »
Who am I addressing under the aegis of NagysAudio?
Is it Serge Maryan?
I don't know either of these amps personally, but maybe a look at their schematics would be interesting.
I am sorry for NagysAudio suffering through one of the hardest cable tours in my memory, but throwing all these absolutes: A is so much better than B, it's ridiculous!  It just doesn't work for me.  I have an Adcom 4300 amp, bought it because it was supposed to be designed by Nelson Pass.  It had problems at the beginning, but Adcom was very good about their warranty, and put things right.
As for Rotel, I also like their lower middle level gear.
Just sayin', Nagys, if you haven't had both these pieces of gear, and opened them up, I would not be throwing down the gauntlet.  And if you have, then illuminate the AC members.  I'm all ears.
All the best,
Lyndon

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2010, 10:42 pm »
I own/owned tons of Rotel equipment. I've also sold used Adcom equipment for years. If anyone is interested in Rotel schematics, just request them through Rotel's service department. They will email you any schematic for any product that they ever made. Rotel's service department is one of the easiest to deal with in the entire audio industry.

Norbert

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2010, 05:16 pm »
Adcom made good quality amps, but they do not make them anymore.  :(

Mr Peabody

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2010, 04:25 am »
The GFA-5500 is a great power amp.  The MOSFET's do give it a special sound, the background is dark, tons of bass and power.  It's also smoother than the lesser powered Adcom amps.  I prefer it over any Rotel I've heard.  I had a 5500 that rocked a pair of Dynaudio Audience 60's and I later sold it to a friend to power the bottom end of some Paradigm Studio 100's.  The 5500 was a good deal new at $999.00 but used it can be found around $500.00 or less it's a steal.  I think the detachable cord was a later feature, no difference in sound or performance I am aware of.  I find Rotel sounds a bit anemic compared to Adcom in similar rated power. 

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2010, 06:22 pm »
Gvt1911,

One thing this thread has already proven is there is no absolute answer to your question.  Its highly subjective and you need to listen to both yourself to make an educated decision.  I know that's not what you want to hear, but just look at the response: some recommend the Rotel, others the Adcom.  The only way to be sure is find measurements of each, then listen to both.  Good luck.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2010, 02:14 am »
I had a 5500, good amp, and I got it for around $350. It replaced 2 NAD 100wpc amps that were biamping an old pair of Mirage Bipoles. The Adcom was more authoratative and dynamic, but I thought the NADs were a little smoother and more musical. I'd also look at NAD amps, but the 5500 is a deal for under $500... I've heard a few Rotels, but not enough to make a good comparison.

Eric

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2010, 02:58 am »
Another option is to purchase a used Adcom GFA 5500 off of Audiogon and send it to Musical Concepts for some mods

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2010, 06:37 am »
What mods? 

I actually retired my GFA-545 to being my outdoor amp today.  Its still in the living room entertainment center in order to ensure a dry clean environment to house it, but i ran speaker wire to it so it can be my outside music muscle.  First thing i noticed was how much better it did than my Denon, no surprise really until I had extended listening and really got to hear and appreciate its musicality.  The Adcom is such a work horse with consistent results, Ill never sell mine.  I am not familiar with Rotel's amps, to be honest, but I stand behind Adcom as some of Americas finest made.